What are you baking? June 2024

“Doctored” cake mix 2-ways. I found a few of boxes of expired cake mixes and jello packets in the cupboard, and used half of one pair- a yellow cake and lemon jello - to make (Lemon) Jello Poke cake, subbing in applesauce for the oil listed for the mix.

Half of the cake baked in an 8x8 pan, poked with a serving fork after cooling briefly, then half of prepared jello poured over (rest of jello simply chilled). We’ve been enjoying the moist chilled cake under fresh strawberries.

The 2nd half of the prepared cake batter became streusel-topped cinnamon pecan cupcakes/muffins, with 1/2 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 C . chopped pecans stirred into the batter before portioning into cupcakes, then each topped with a heaping tsp of streusel – blendered-oatmeal / cinnamon/ pecans/ brown sugar/ melted butter.

3 Likes

Apricot pistachio frangipane, sour cream crust.inspired by a galette by David Lebovitz.

13 Likes

i need it.

1 Like

It slays!

4 Likes

Mini strawberries and cream pavlovas :strawberry::two_hearts::strawberry:

13 Likes

Any Basque cheesecake enthusiasts want to take this for a test run?

I have been wondering about baking in a loaf tin!

Seems like a firmer bake in order to slice as pictured.

3 Likes

Serious consideration will be given to this! :grinning:!
I might want to make half tho’. I see SK also uses the FP and cold cream cheese as I did with the ones I made…it really makes the mixing quick . Looks like a lot of cornstarch, I’ll read the reviews.

2 Likes

Maybe a 1 egg version? I would but I’m heading out.

I bet the extra cornstarch is so it’s firm for slicing.

So maybe Basque-ish, not nearly as soft.

1 Like

Yes, a third sounds good but not until next week😔, I have something else in mind for Father’s Day .

1 Like

I’m interested but not sure I can force myself to bake anything not fruit-related right now ….

1 Like

Macerate some berries and serve with?

1 Like

1/3 of SK Basque cheesecake is very comparable to the mini cake that we both have made, but…it has 5x the cornstarch! A little less sugar and a bit more hvy cream but otherwise, pretty much the same. I’m holding out on this one :joy:

1 Like

Back in the Chow days you kindly sent me a recipe for the ultimate chip cookie from the Cookbook Slice and Bake, which later was a deal on kindle that I grabbed. So yesterday I baked them again and they were just as delicious as I remembered. So thanks again!

2 Likes

I am planning on making, and looking for a tried and true oatmeal fruit bar recipe that uses prepared fruit preserves.

I have asked before, and I have tried a few, but have not kept good notes, and don’t know what recipe I used.

I seem to recall using the Serious Eats jammy fruit bar recipe, but notice its developed for a smaller pan size, and is sometimes underbaked according to the reviews.

There’s a Spruce recipe in one of those links that looks promising.

I also recall a thread about using up jam that may have included a fruit bar recipe; I will look for it.

Any thoughts on looking for an egg or an egg yolk in a recipe? Somehow that sounds more cake than bar (cookie) to me.

1 Like

I make these a few times a year - great way to use up extra jam. And you can do whatever jam or whatever nut strikes your fancy. I like them a lot: https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/back-school-raspberry-granola-bars

4 Likes

Yayyy!

1 Like

Do we put donuts here too?

Korean Milk Cream Donuts — chocolate, raspberry, and pistachio.

16 Likes

I’m looking for a recipe someone posted here for cream biscuits to use in strawberry shortcake - anyone remember posting such a thing? I have a bunch of heavy cream to use up and my go-to recipe is floury, not creamy.

@MunchkinRedux ? @Nannybakes ?

1 Like

Are you thinking of this post by MidwesternTT?

1 Like

Yes, please! Those look delicious.

1 Like