Leftover granola ----------> fruit cobbler bars?

I have some leftover homemade granola, and I’m wondering if someone can tell me how I might use it in a fruit cobbler bar, maybe as a sub for oats.

The granola has some sugar, probably salt. nuts and coconut in it. I think it was this Serious Eats recipe

Not as a sprinkled on topping, but in a bar I can cut; something like this.

Or this

Serious Eats Jammy Fruit Bars

… .and the fruit would be a pluot jam/ preserve.

3 Likes

I don’t bake very often but recently made a fruit bar that used oats and brown sugar for the topping. It held together mixed with some flour and butter. As I recall half of the mixture was pressed into the bottom of the pan, then chopped rhubarb with a sugar syrup, then the rest of the crumb mixture on the top. Here - I found the recipe - maybe you can adapt it.

SUNSET FAVORITE: RHUBARB OAT CRUMBLE

1 c regular or quick cooking rolled oats

1 c each firmly packed brown sugar and all purpose flour

1 tsp ground cinnamon

1/2 c butter, softened

4 c diced rhubarb (about 1 1/4 lbs)

1 c granulated sugar

2 Tbsp cornstarch

1 c water

1 tsp vanilla

red food coloring optional

In a large bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. With your fingers, rub in butter till lumps are no longer distinguishable. Press half the crumb mixture over the bottom of a buttered 9 inch square pan. Evenly distribute rhubarb over crumbs.

In a small saucepan, combine granulated sugar and cornstarch. Add water and cook, stirring over medium heat till thickened. Let cool slightly and add vanilla and a few drops of food coloring if desired. Pour over the rhubarb. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture and pat it firmly. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes till richly browned. Serve warm or room temperature. 9 servings. Tastes great with ice cream or whipped cream.

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

“leftover granola”

Does not compute.

4 Likes

Similar to @retrospek’s recipe, I recently made these:

I found them to be overwhelmingly sweet, but the recipients devoured them.

Will make again with a less-cloying jam and increase the dough by about 50%.

4 Likes

I try to limit carbs and made some for gifts, but I indulge when fresh stonefruit is in season.

I found this granola crust.

3 Likes

Bars are great, cookies are great and I stuff apples with it when I bake apples in the fall.

Thanks all! Any suggestions for working with granola rather than oats? Seems like it would need something to moisten and bind, like flour, maybe baking powder or soda, melted butter, and/or an egg.

Here are examples of a recipes that start with granola.

ETA I think this was the granola recipe I used.

Essentially oats, sweeteners, warm spices, olive oil, nuts, salt, and dried fruit added after baking.

2 Likes

When I’ve used granola as a quick topping for fruit crisps in individual ramekins, I’ve layered granola on top of the fruit and drizzled a bit of cream over it. Simple, but worked nicely. Good luck to you!

2 Likes

I haven’t done this before, but I like the idea as I make homemade granola weekly for breakfasts. After looking at the recipes you linked, I’d suggest the first or third as they call for crushing the granola in a food processor - rather than using the clusters as-is. Bigger chunks and pieces of nuts, fruit, or seeds will be hard to work with if you’re trying to get a smooth layer. Please report back!

1 Like

I make my own granola and I don’t think I would use it for a baked good or any application where it had to be baked a second time. It’s already quite dry from its first pass in the oven.

1 Like

For me… melted unsalted butter! I do this with a variety of crackers/cookies… just nuke them in a FP until medium/fine, transfer to a bowl and stir in melted butter. It gives you a very moldable/compressible crumb. Roll some out for the bottom, cover with filling, cover with another, thinner sheet of it, bake, and top with a coarser grind.

Depending on how sweet your granola is you may want to add some brown sugar to the granola before nuking, but I find most recipes call for too much. For instance I use Nabisco graham crackers for cheesecake crusts that nearly all recipes call for added sugar (which is not necessary - IMHO).

Try a little baby one to see how you like it.

1 Like

I added a little bit of flour. Most recipes I’ve collected have as much flour as oats, if not more! I didn’t roll it out, I pressed it into this mini-tart tin, then crumbled the coarser stuff on top.

Still cooling, but how could this not be good? :smiley:

4 Likes

Looks great! You added butter to the top mixture as well, right?

Yes!

A little bit too crumbly, so didn’t cut as neatly as I wanted. Also a little too sweet, but still very tasty and very close to what I wanted.

4 Likes