What Are You Baking? April 2024

That’s a labor of love. Lucky daughter.

4 Likes

Thanks! I love this cake. So easy, and so tasty. I was pleased with how well it came out using frozen fruit.

For those who missed the photo of the cut cake:

13 Likes

Lovely bread. How did you get such even slices?

2 Likes

Looks good!

I’ll try to find the recipe for the loaf I was making for my nephews when they were off gluten during the pandemic. Aside from the height issue (which can be fixed by increasing the batter / dough quantity) it was very good for sandwiches and grilled cheese.

I used mostly sorghum with some rice and tapioca, and later some cassava (but that mostly for flatbreads) – plus psyllium, which I much prefer to xanthan.

2 Likes

Marion Burros’s plum torte, using Italian plums from the farmer’s market which I pitted and froze last fall. I made a half-recipe in a 6 ½” springform pan, subbing 25% of the AP flour with almond flour. I added a splash of amaretto, and sprinkled the top with a little lemon juice, cinnamon, and sugar.

The plums were pulled out of the freezer just for the time it took me to gather the ingredients. I quartered them in that semi-frozen state to better fit them in the small pan. The frozen fruit worked fine here, and I think I preferred the smaller pieces – good to know on both counts.

16 Likes

Thanks! Just eyeballing and the bread knife, and a good dash of luck, Sometimes I’m not as lucky.

2 Likes

Almond yogurt cake, baked as cupcakes and flavored with vanilla and a few sources of orange. More details here, in the thread for previous BCOTM Gâteau.

10 Likes

Last bake of the month…for my dog friend at the park.

I haven’t made these before, so we’ll see how he likes them. I suspect he is the kind of dog that will eat anything (and with his owner’s blessing). Should anyone be wondering, I do have permission from his owner to offer the treats. :yum:

I also found a KAF recipe for doggie treats from scratch which, if these are a success, I will try in the future.

11 Likes

How cute!
I have made them from scratch before with pumpkin. Seemed to go over well.

2 Likes

Rhubarb raspberry cake, a combination of Martha Stewart’s fresh strawberry cake as the base and an almond streusel topping. Made a small compote of both fruits to have with some sour cream on the side. Sunday was the opening day of the Farmer Mkt.

11 Likes

More cardamom and cinnamon buns. This one with toasted pecans and dried apples added to the brown sugar-cinnamon filling. A schmear of boiled-cider glaze on top.

12 Likes

I gave him his first taste this morning - doggie approved! :dog:

10 Likes

Is there a May discussion link?

There is now!

3 Likes

To bring closure:

I baked the choco-rye cake again, this time carefully monitoring my use of baking powder and baking soda, and also mixing Valrhona and KAF black cocoa powders 50/50.

The cake came out perfect. I attribute the previous sinking issue to mis-management of ingredients on my part, and am fully on board with the mixing of the two cocoa powders here - delicious, with no sinking! :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes