What Are You Baking? April 2024

Kirschkuchen (Sunken Lemon Cherry Cake), from Luisa Weiss’s Classic German Baking. Recipe also is found on-line here.

This is the first time I’ve made this cake using frozen cherries. I thawed them just briefly while gathering the ingredients and making the cake – just enough to be able to separate and halve/chop them. They worked fine, although slowed down the bake by about 10 minutes for a half recipe (6 1/2" springform pan).

I’m trying to clear out fruit and berries from my freezer (along with jam from my pantry) before next season begins, so I’ll be revisiting soon some of my favorite summer bakes, but working with frozen fruit.

15 Likes

Doing the same! Trying to use last years blueberries, blackberries and dark cherries. Sadly no sour cherries last summer and hoping it’s better weather for them this summer.

16 Likes

Hardcover of Torta della Nona is $10 canadian on Amazon.ca just last week it was $38. Ive seen some lovely bakes from it on instagram. What a steal i bought it.

2 Likes

With my last bag of Hershey’s Salted Caramel chips I made this recipe . https://www.hersheyland.com/recipes/sea-salt-caramel-chip-chocolate-cookies.html
Fortunately got some bags of what seems to be a knock-off product at Traders Joe’s this fall when in NYC thanks to @Saregama ! This is a favourite recipe… and very easy.

11 Likes

Such a beautiful pie!

4 Likes

That is one perfect pie!

4 Likes

Clementine Cake, 3T delicious Clementine jam for the batter and 1T jam heated with some Mandarincello for the glaze. Dusted with confectionery sugar, my favorite FP cake, that also bakes in 15/20 minutes. We like this with a dollop of sour cream mixed with a bit of the jam.
Thanks to @Stef_bakes for the introduction to Clementine jam.

10 Likes

I love those cookies!

2 Likes

Your welcome. Its such a good jam for so little effort and clementines are always on special in the winter. Your cake is beautiful. Havent baked yet but will have to get into shape. My daughter and 12 year old grandson are coming next weekend. The 16 year old now has a weekend job. So :pensive:

4 Likes

I would not have made the jam had you not posted it…so good, so thank you again. Hope you are feeling better and will be up to baking soon! I made a thicker version inadvertently. Blitzed the entire Clementine, skin and all, and wondered why it looked different than the previous ones :joy: .Well it turned out fine and would have made a nice filling for a cake but had it on toast instead.

3 Likes

FP here means ….?

NB and MR, thanks! I always make Kenji’s pie crust and for many years it’s never failed me. Rolls out perfectly, never a crack or tear. Aside from tart dough it’s the only crust I make.

3 Likes

Food Processor

1 Like

Financier au Chocolat from Gâteau. I froze 4 eggs whites in little mason jars that i had from my Easter baking. Simple recipe with minimal cleanup. You refrigerate the dough for 1 hr and it became very thick. I used a #40 scoop and then spread the dough with my fingers in the pan. When the first 8 came out they looked very plain so the next ones I sprinkled mini chocholate chip when they came out of the oven. Unfortunately i cant taste one.

10 Likes

Beautiful looking! You need your 16yr. old grandson for a professional opinion!

Thanks. Ok so i took the tiniest bite. Very chocolate intense and not too sweet. Would be great with a cup of coffee.

7 Likes

I’ve never contemplated making Financiers. Is it true they are best right after baking, or can they be held for a day or two?

They are best when baked but can be kept in an air tight container for a few days. Since the main ingredients are almond flour and butter they get softer as time goes by. I find baking them is a great way to use up leftover egg whites. I froze my egg whites marking how many i have in the jar.

3 Likes

Daughter 3 who doesn’t eat gluten asked for homemade, loaf-pan bread that she can use for sandwiches instead of paying $9+ per loaf for Canyon. I’ve made her a baguette before (first pic) but it was kind of a spindly thing.

This time I used KA’s GF flour that is specific for yeasted breads, although when looking for guidance I saw KA’s website has several recipes using yeast with their “AP” GF flour, too.

Came out okay but took forever (another half hour) to get from 205°F to 210-212°F, which was their recommended pull temp. And which is why there’s a lot of holes in the top of the loaf!

I think I let it proof too long, which made it more dense than I was shooting for and explains the unexpectedly long bake time. And I got zero oven spring - it is exactly as tall as it was going into the oven.

But it turned out really nicely in the end. Good texture, great moisture level (not nearly as dry as commercial GF breads always seem to be), and pretty tasty as well. She’s happy with it - says it’s better than Canyon’s - but I’m going to shoot for a taller loaf next weekend when she comes back.

Edit - side note for any who are intolerant of wheat proteins more generally (i.e., not just the gluten proteins). This KA flour (like several of their GF flours) uses wheat starch that they certify is GF. But they don’t promise that it won’t contain other types of wheat proteins.

9 Likes

That slice on WFD looked fantastic!

2 Likes