What Are You Baking? April 2024

What’s cookin, good lookin?

1 Like

Lemon poppy seed buns from sister pie for Easter morning. People absolutely raved over these, but I prefer a slightly richer dough in a bun - like the brioche dough from pastry love.

15 Likes

Pistachio Cardamom Cake from Milk St. A tender, fine textured cake that includes ground pistachios, orange zest and juice, yogurt and olive oil. I brushed on a very small amount of yogurt/confectioners sugar to secure the chopped pistachios. The crunch of the chopped pistachios were a nice contrast to the texture of the cake. I didn’t grind my cardamom seeds but used some already ground, next time I’ll take the time to grind them!

14 Likes

Sounds good! I found the recipe here.

1 Like

Thanks, Caitlin!
On a quick read of that recipe, I think they left out the 1/4 c orange juice.

10 Likes

!

Berry gratin adapted from “ Pardon My French” pear almond gratin. The pear is equally good but I had some berries to use up. This is gluten free, using almond flour. A crisp, thin crust with an interior of almond meal,butter, eggs and sugar. I inadvertently added a glug of milk and baking powder as I conflated two recipes…it did no harm.
This is a 6x6” and is 60% of the original recipe.
For the parchment liner, I used what I’m calling a onesie as it is actually a liner for air fryers. Just pop it in and the bottom and sides are covered with no spraying necessary. I’ve found them very handy. https://www.pardonyourfrench.com/french-almond-pear-gratin-gluten-free/
ETA… I used evoo instead of butter.

14 Likes

A favourite here. I always make it with some pears that are languishing in the fridge.

2 Likes

Pears are just the best…something special about using pears! I made it with hazelnuts with pears😋

1 Like

Revisiting RLB’s Flaky Cranberry Scone.

This scone recipe uses all bread flour, and calls for both heavy cream and butter. To expedite things, I skipped the lemon zest, and rather than snip each individual cranberry in half with a pair of scissors, I roughly minced all the dried berries with a knife.

The only other time I made these, I found both the shaping in a seperate pan and the overnight rest to be a bit tedious. Today, however, I loved that aspect. The scones came out nicely shaped, were easy to portion equally, and it was a bonus this morning to have all of yesterday’s work behind me – just cut, finish with some sugar, and bake. I’m going to try this method with other scone recipes to see how well it works with the overnight rest (eyeballing that KAF tea scone recipe). In my book, the RLB recipe retains its title of “The Best Scone I Ever Made” – so buttery and flaky, almost like pastry.

I made ¾ of a recipe, and used an 8” cake pan for the mold.

And because grilling season is here, I made an oft-repeated batch of Olga’s soft pita wraps. We’ll have two wraps with dinner tonight, and the rest are for the freezer. They’ll make for some easy fair-weather-grilling meals ahead.

16 Likes

Both look great, but especially those pillowy pita!

3 Likes

Slice of Lemon Meringue Pie from Easter Dinner

15 Likes

Blueberry oatmeal muffins from Sally’s Baking Addiction. I used partial whole wheat, dried blueberries (briefly soaked), added chopped pecans, and topped with a sprinkling of raw sugar and a few more oats.

I was referred to this recipe by someone in this group back on CH – with my thanks! I’ve made it a few times. It’s a keeper with any of fresh, frozen, or dried blueberries (although if using frozen, see her comments about reducing the milk by a few Tablespoons).

11 Likes

I have always found the recipes on her blog very reliable…

3 Likes

@mig I saw this today and thought of you. When is that afternoon tea?

2 Likes

White sandwich bread from KAF to use up some sourdough discard.

I had 200g of 70% hydration discard, so I doubled the recipe here: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/our-favorite-sandwich-bread-recipe and subtracted the starter’s water/flour accordingly. Reduced the sugar by a bit, too.

11 Likes

Mother’s Day-ish! Thanks for this - looking now.

2 Likes

I had some leftover dough from my Easter bread and some leftover lemon curd so i baked a braided bread. The center was spread with sweetened cream cheese and lemon curd. A slice for Sunday morning breakfast will be had

17 Likes

Wow…beautiful Stef…sounds so good!

4 Likes

Thanks. I was pleased to use the leftovers. Sunday breakfast!

2 Likes

Some late night tea-party recipe testing: half a batch of a brown butter-pistachio financier recipe from Saveur, baked in a mini-muffin tin.

These baked up lightening fast in the tiny tin wells, way faster than the 16 min in the recipe. It called for one teaspoon of batter per financier, which is a very tiny dot of batter. I tested both a single teaspoon as well as 1.5 tsp, and liked the bigger ones better.

These are good, but having tried a couple right out of the oven… they are a little underwhelming, given the effort. First thought: need more salt. I also don’t like the teeny tiny size. It’s one bite. I’m not going to buy special financier molds, but I might try again with a regular muffin tin.

Usually this sort of thing improves in flavor with time, so I’ll taste again in the morning. If they don’t hold well overnight, they aren’t a candidate for this party anyway.

12 Likes