Weekly Menu Planning – September 2023

Please be sure to let us know how it turns out! I tried a different sauce recipe and with tofu to try a vegan spin on Korean fried chicken… it was only ok, so I’m definitely interested in your approach!

2 Likes

I bring the same!! Plus S&P grinders and a few essential seasonings.

1 Like

I will! So long as there’s no change of plan that is, my meal plan has already taken some pretty big changes as my partner wanted to do things his way this week so we’ll see how it goes :grin:

1 Like

I used honey and sugar for the corn syrup, and serrano for the fresh chilli — that adds a very different kick than the gochujang and gochugaru.

Yeah I’d use honey too as I can’t get corn syrup here I don’t think and I love the taste of honey. I do have Gochujang but no gochugaru sadly, I was thinking paprika and a bit of chilli as gochugaru isn’t really spicy. We’ll see what happens, my fried chicken was cancelled so I’m reluctant to deep fry for only one meal. I might have to shallow fry or bake it and I don’t have any beer for the batter I was planning to make.

The fun of having my plans changed :joy:

1 Like

Well, I totally fell off the advance planning wagon courtesy surrounding forces who balk at more than a day of meal planning :woman_facepalming:t2:.

But, I’m back at it, for my own sanity :joy:.

Ideas for the coming week:

• (Tonight) Roast chicken (Keller - COTM), roast potatoes & onions underneath + Leftover veg meal for mom – whole lentil biryani or veg cutlets and focaccia
  • Scallion-ginger noodles, miso eggplant / chicken
  • Masala pot roast, homemade bread, salad OR Beef rendang, rice, tbd veg
  • Maki or Sushi bowls (cabbage, carrot, avocado, cucumber + smoked salmon)
  • Risotto (mushroom or asparagus) + prawns
  • Cauliflower cheese, garlic bread
  • Pad see ew, chicken larb
  • Fondue with assorted dippers
  • Pizza – been ages since we ate pizza and it’s a crowd favorite

What we ate in the past week:

• Korean-ish - Beef bulgogi, garlic sesame green beans, carrot kimchi (leftover pasta & fresh olive focaccia for mom)
  • Kathi rolls (chicken seekhs or veg patties rolled up in thin flatbreads)
  • Chinese - Vegetable chow mein, chilli chicken paneer manchurian
  • Assorted leftovers - Farfalle in pesto cream sauce, Bucatini with fresh (uncooked) tomato sauce, Chicken junglee sandwiches (chicken salad with red onion, green chilli, and cilantro)
  • Baked ziti (except fusilli) for mom & sis (I went out for tea with friends that extended to dinner)
  • Baked shrimp scampi (COTM Keller), spinach, bucatini (mom had leftover desi pasta with garic toast and a taste of the bucatini on the side)
  • Homemade ramen using mutton bone broth and trotter soup from the freezer and cooking it all with chicken
  • Baked - Tomato and cheese tart, mixed vegetable galette

Will also bake a baby boule from dough I have aging in the fridge, and maybe a citrus cake or muffins because I zested a few sweet limes and oranges yesterday.

14 Likes

Would golden syrup substitute?

Absolutely yeah, at least I’ve used it that way in the past, I just prefer honey and always have it whereas I only buy golden syrup for specific recipes.

1 Like

Hello to everyone from the Twin Cities of MN where it has been HOT but the front is pushing through and we have outgrown all of the socially appropriate long sleeve shirts that are not fleece “Mom. I’m in middle school! I can’t wear things with unicorns anymore!” Going from a high of 92 today to 64 tomorrow and we had just a brief rain shower. Actuals and plans for 2 adults, a new 7th grader and a rising 3rd grader:

9/2: Mr Autumm had a concert- take out for Ladies Night in

9/3: Hosted the fantasy football draft- our first big gathering since both COVID and the reno- couldn’t find my serving dishes so a bit more casual than normal- bacon wrapped smokies- a tradition, crudités with homemade ranch dip, potato and zucchini slices with spinach artichoke dip (Costco), home made summer rolls both veg and shrimp, friend brought homemade mango salsa and chips, take and bake pizzas, watermelon wedges, sliced pinnacle plus a few deserts.

9/4: Grilled fancy brats, coleslaw, corn on the cob (CSA) A fitting end of “summer” meal

9/5: Tonight: First day of school. To celebrate I had a filling fixed and thereby had no appetite. Lazy mommy’s fish tacos with black beans and avocado, salsa etc, corn on the cob CSA

9/6: Continuing the BLT Wednesday theme to keep making progress against the CSA tomato haul

9/7: Day date with Mr Autumm to celebrate back to school! and the one year anniversary of our moving out to start the reno- I can’t believe we did this! Freezer scrounge with CSA veg

9/8: Both kiddos supposed to skate back to back but big kiddo sprained her wrist flipping over her bike handles last weekend so I don’t know if I will clear her to skate them. Fancy cheese night?

I would post more plans but I think In need to step away to go after Ferdinand the fly who is currently buzz bombing me.

13 Likes

wow! congratulations on all your milestones! And great food, too!

2 Likes

I read this topic every month, and feel more than a bit envious of how organized everyone is; now I’ve decided to take a stab at getting better organized myself.

So, cooking for two adults in beautiful Pasadena, CA, where the weather is surprisingly lovely for this time of year. I tend to cook/organize meals for leftovers and repurposing, and am still cooking through pandemic supplies. Additionally, I’m dealing with neurological and cognitive challenges, so things can and do go sideways quite often. I try to keep backup/ready-to-go options at hand.

Actuals:
SUN: Pizza (veggie and white, delivered), green salad, sautéed zucchini and summer squash with Parmesan

MON: Leftover pizza, green salad, 4 bean salad

TUE: Repeat of MON, plus fruit salad - freeze remaining pizza for future meals

Rest of Week:
WED: Summer veggie goulashy stuff (onions, garlic, zucchini, summer squash, eggplant, cabbage, tomatoes, tomato purée, green beans, nutritional yeast, crumbled and browned Field Roast Italian sausage) from freezer, cornbread (Jiffy), green salad

BAKE: banana bread or zucchini bread

THU: Repeat of WED

BAKE: banana bread or zucchini bread

FRI: Veggie burgers (Morning Star Prime Grillers), green salad, some other fresh vegetable(s), peach/blueberry crisp for dessert

SAT and next week: Partner leaves for weeklong trip and I’ve no idea what I’ll be eating

14 Likes

Don’t worry - you’re not the only one still working on pandemic supplies!

7 Likes

Loving the pizza front of your week! Reminded me we haven’t had pizza in way too long.

Are there things he doesn’t like but you do that you indulge in when he’s away?

What are some of your favorites / go-tos?

2 Likes

Makes me grin to hear that; we ended up with a really interesting assortment of shelf-stable goods. The beans are what are overwhelming. (A local business carrying higher-end food stuffs closed during the pandemic and we bought 50+ pounds of Rancho Gordo beans at $2 a pound. Many were gifted to family, friends, neighbors, yet many bags remain. And now I’m fretting over them becoming stale. Yikes!)

5 Likes

Well, I kinda do that anyway. I’ll likely just have big salads with a lettuce mix base and then assorted stuff piled on. (I do this for my main meal, midday, throughout the week and then have bits and bobs of the dinner fixings.)

Am thinking about making Coronation Chicken using Daring Chicken. And I’ll likely get takeout from a local place that makes a very tasty cauliflower shawarma nachos.

I usually have homemade vegetable burritos in the freezer (beans, assorted vegetables, sometimes brown rice, salsa, seasonings, cheese); vegetarian sausage biscuits (I make a bunch and then freeze them); Progresso soups (easy to doctor up); assorted MTR Ready-to-Eat packs; packets of cooked brown rice; pasta and jarred sauces; oatmeal and grain cereals. Always have bagged green salads and frozen vegetables on hand - and peanut butter/jam/bread for those times when anything else seems too complex.

7 Likes

I’ve been using Rancho Gordo beans for years, and sometimes I “forget” that I have them and where they are stored (I discovered my partner had put a box in the basement on his work bench once). Then I made a list where I see it every day, with dates. Some of them were just as good well past “best by” date and some weren’t. I can’t remember which varieties were which. Most important thing is that even the ones that weren’t as good as fresher were still better than non Rancho Gordo beans.

I would have bought that many at $2 a pound, too. Maybe you could donate some to food banks or homeless shelters; they’d probably be glad to have them. If you have any freezer space, I’ve found that they are good for months after being cooked and frozen.

You are doing great with the planning! Maybe doing a few things to treat yourself with take-out would work for you during partner’s trip. Those cauliflower shawarma nachos sound fantastic.

9 Likes

You.have.no.idea.how.much.I.still.have.to.use.up.

6 Likes

Our favorite lebanese near my brother makes a fantastic cauliflower over tahini plate. (We learned later that the cauliflower is deep fried, but it has not deterred our devotion to this dish, even though we make fantastic roasted cauliflower at home that would easily work just as well :rofl:)

5 Likes

I’m going to go through and donate the stuff that’s good that I haven’t used in the past 2 years.

3 Likes

Greetings, People.

Our house guests and DH have taken a 3-day road trip which I opted out of with no regrets. The visit is going fine – it turns out I rather like this particular set of relatives – but I couldn’t resist the opportunity to have the house to myself for several days, something which hasn’t happened in eons.

My meal plan this week is unusually disorganized, but here’s what I’m thinking:

FRI: Just me, and I’ll eat whatever I feel like.

SAT: The posse returns, but unsure as to the hour. I’m thinking I’ll make a big batch of scallion crepes, and if people arrive hungry, we can have smoked-trout-stuffed-crepes, and a garden salad.

SUN: We’ll be out much of the day, but if I’m feeling ambitious, Ikea Swedish Meatballs (recipe released during Covid) with the works – mashed potatoes, cucumber salad, lingonberry jam.

MON: I think we’ll be out and about most of the day. If we come home hungry, then a simple frittata and either salad or potatoes.

TUE: The visit ends and DH and I resume normal life. Most likely pasta with pesto and a garden salad.

WED: Smash burger tacos from The Washington Post.

THUR: Clueless. Will depend on energy level. TBD.

13 Likes