Weekly Menu Planning - October 2023

I usually cut kabocha in half, scoop the seeds out, roast the halves upside down until they’re soft. I used to coat the ovenproof dish with veg oil. Lately I’ve been using a little water instead, so nothing burns.

I have used a microwave technique to soften spaghetti squash before cutting and roasting .

I guess that could work with other winter squash. Prick with a fork all over, microwave for a bit, then cut into wedges or halves for roasting or tempura.

4 Likes

How was the harissa roasted cauliflower?

1 Like

Cooking for one in Reston, VA

Reporting actuals from last week.
Sat, Oct 21 - Kung Pao Chicken from Woks of Life (COTM)
Sun, Oct 22 - Leftover Kung Pao Chicken
Mon, Oct 23 - Sage Rubbed Pork Chops with Warm Apple Slaw from Elie Krieger’s The Food You Crave
Tues, Oct 24 - Leftover pork chops
Wed, Oct 25 - Tortilla Soup (from freezer) - Recipe from Melissa Clark’s Dinner. It is a really quick recipe that I make to use up leftover chicken.
Thurs, Oct 26 - Had lunch out with a friend so just had salad for dinner
Fri, Oct 27 - Vegetable Chili from The New Basics. This is a favorite; I’ve been making it for probably 25 years.
Sat, Oct 28 - Book Club. Host made Chicken Pozole soup, salad, and apple crisp. Delicious. It was an unseasonably warm day and we had dinner outside.

I’m working on next week’s plan. I got cauliflower and brussels sprouts at the farmers market and need to figure out how to incorporate them into next week’s plan. I’m also perusing the November COTM to see what I will make.

11 Likes

It was very good. I couldn’t find a lemon - went to two different grocery stores and neither had one! So I used a small scoop of preserved lemon paste in the place of zest. I needed more, so just used bottled lemon juice on the finished dish; not sure how much difference that made. Could easily add a can of chickpeas to it to give it a bit more protein, but it was great as is.

5 Likes

@Phoenikia - that (cut in half and roast) was my initial plan. But the squash was dinner-plate size - 10.5 inches across and also 5 inches tall. The tough skin proved impossible for the knives I own (no meat-clever or electric knife), so I felt fortunate the slice I was able to make opened the edge of the seed cavity. Roasting it (or microwaving) to soften the skin was essential.

1 Like

Turned out nicely. My only changes - left off the icing and added a bit of lemon extract. So simple. Will definitely make again.

2 Likes

For cutting large squash I have had good luck with ATK’s suggestion of putting one whole in a plastic bag or clean trash bag and then dropping from waist height onto the sidewalk. I’m always surprised how clean the break is ( almost always only 2 pieces, the max I ever got was 3) and pretty close to split in half every time.

8 Likes

It works for me dropping the large squash onto my granite counters or in the stainless steel sink. I’d drop it on our kitchen floor rather than the concrete sidewalk except that I am hesitate to try it given we have the original 1845 fir wood floor.

4 Likes

Thanks for the concrete-drop to break a squash hint!! I have a handy front step and also an unfinished concrete basement room (workshop) floor.

3 Likes

This brings back childhood memories of my dad having us crack a coconut by tossing it down the basement stairs, which were lightly carpeted over concrete. Worked every time! :joy:

8 Likes

Sorry to hear about big kiddo’s arm.! Poor all of you!
DH broke his ankle labor.day weekend and he s been in Rehab ever since so I stopped lurking. I am enjoying
not planning but winging it. My latest was butternut squash mac and cheese, too trendy for DH but I liked it. Hope big kiddo is cast free soon.

7 Likes

Ginny, good to hear from you although I’m so sorry about the broken ankle. I hope he gets better soon!

4 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 1-2 in Chattanooga. DH returns Sunday night, probably too late for dinner, but there will certainly be leftovers!
Breakfast: Sweet potato bread (probably in muffin form) from Jubilee
Saturday, October 4: Leftovers and roasted butternut squash
Sunday: Rigatoni with broccoli sauce from Milk Street Tuesdays, fruit and nut bars
Monday: Cumin and coriander beef stew from Milk Street (I’ll probably make it on Saturday or Sunday to reheat), rice and vermicelli pilaf
Tuesday: Scrounge
Wednesday: Whatever Family recipe is chosen
Thursday: Smoked trout tart, salad
Friday: Wine dinner fundraiser for the food bank.
Have a good week–hope the time change goes smoothly for you! Happy cooking!

11 Likes

I made the Jubilee sweet potato muffins and quite liked them.

1 Like

That tart sounds wonderful (as do the other recipes in that link). Have you made it before?

I had 3 giant butternut squash and I tried out the whole roast and wow!

Wash and dry the squash and bake at 400 for about an hour until soft. No cutting or poking. Nothing. Let them cool and it was like scooping canned pumpkin out of the insides. Bagged, tagged and frozen for thanksgiving pies and some muffins

5 Likes

No, I’m always trying new things…will report back!

2 Likes

They are very good!

2 Likes

I made the pie yesterday, totally off plan already :-). It’s very good but quite rich. It also took about twice as long to cook as indicated in the recipe: I guess my pie tin is deeper than his tart pan…

4 Likes

November’s discussion is available Weekly Menu Planning November 2023

1 Like