Weekly Menu Planning November 2023

So sorry to hear you’ve been ill! And yeah, the fatigue is no joke with covid. I hope you’re feeling perkier in no time.

Here’s the coconut poached fish recipe:

Ingredients

Yield:4 servings

• 4(6-ounce) cod fillets or other flaky white fish
  • Kosher salt
  • 2tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
  • 1large shallot, thinly sliced
  • 2garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • 1(2-inch) piece ginger, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
  • 1fresh Thai or Serrano chile, thinly sliced
  • 2(13½-ounce) cans coconut milk
  • 1½teaspoons fish sauce
  • 1teaspoon light brown sugar
  • About 7 ounces baby bok choy, ends trimmed and stalks separated
  • ¼cup roughly chopped cilantro, both leaves and tender stems
  • 2tablespoons thinly sliced scallion greens
  • Lime wedges (from 1 lime), for serving
  • Flaky salt (optional)

Ingredient Substitution Guide

Preparation

1. Step 1

Season fish well with salt. In a large sauté pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add shallot, garlic, ginger and chile, and cook, stirring often until they become translucent, about 2 minutes. Season with salt.

1. Step 2

Add coconut milk, fish sauce and brown sugar, and whisk together until combined and sugar dissolves. Bring mixture to a gentle simmer. Add cod fillets and turn the heat down to low. Cover and cook until cod is just cooked through and opaque, about 6 to 8 minutes. Carefully remove the fish and plate in bowls.

1. Step 3

Add bok choy to the coconut milk broth and turn heat to medium-low. Cook bok choy until leaves are wilted and stems are tender, about 1 to 2 minutes.

1. Step 4

Divide bok choy evenly alongside the fish and ladle the coconut milk broth over each portion. Top with cilantro, scallions and a good squeeze of lime, and serve with remaining wedges on the side. Garnish with flaky salt, if desired.

6 Likes

@Saregama and @LulusMom1 A friend had covid earlier this year and she said she was exhausted for weeks after. I’m bracing myself for the long haul…

2 Likes

First time covid has hit our home. Both my husband and i just seem to be napping on and off. This is the second week. My son got it first and really had a high fever for 3 days but kept working from home. Hes a sound editor working on a series right now and if hes not on time it bumps everyone else down the line.

3 Likes

Let’s hope things get better for everyone soon.

3 Likes

I’m sorry your son has to go through this. I’m glad I have an office job and a backup if I really can’t work. On day 2 of covid my boss asked if I work from home until I feel better could I still work but the answer was no. I don’t go back to work unless I am 100% (more or less).

5 Likes

Hi, all! Thanks to MTT’s gentle nudge, I finally realized it was November and I needed to post here :-). Cooking for 2 in Chattanooga, where we just got our first rain in weeks, thank goodness.
Breakfast: Blueberry buttermilk pancakes from the Cake Bible
Saturday: Parmesan chicken cutlets and a black bean and rice salad
Sunday: Beef stew with carrots and sweet potatoes; egg noodles; squash salad; blueberry pie to flex my pie muscles
Monday-Tuesday: Scrounge
Wednesday: The broccoli pasta I didn’t make last week
Thursday: Scrounge again
Friday: White bean and sweet potato casserole; roasted cauliflower
Stay healthy and have a good week! Happy cooking!

12 Likes

Good decision. Sounds like your COVID progression was similar to mine and on day 2 definitely not able to work whether from home or in-office. Daytime energy (but still early bedtime) came back about 3 weeks after onset here, so I’m hoping the same for you.

2 Likes

I am glad you are feeling better after the covid misery, and I know well how hard it is to eat when you have lost your appetite. You seem to be recovering enough to at least plan meals and pick them up!

I think all three of us here (2 68-year-olds and 24-year-old son) have had mild covid at least a couple of times. We use the home tests repeatedly and they always turned out negative. We weren’t “sick” enough to go in for the PCR tests but did isolate until symptoms disappeared. But who knows…

I am always inspired by your film screenings and museum visits! You make me want to get out and about so much more! I hope your recover from the lingering fatigue as soon as possible. I got that every time after each of my now 5 covid vaccines. Having the real thing is so much worse and at least I knew every time it would disappear within 24 hours with only a little residual fatigue for the next few days.

We here in Boston are no where near freezing rain yet but walking on anything remotely slippery is really tiring and scary when you are already fatigued. Take care!

7 Likes

Haha. I’ve made exactly two of these this week. So much for plans…

5 Likes

I’m sorry to hear you have been ill.

2 Likes

Our of what I set out, I made the cabbage, I made the Waldorf salad, I roasted the spaghetti squash and sauteed some radishes and greens on Monday. :joy: Leftover mushroom quiche from a bakery visit and leftover take-out Mary Brown’s fried chicken and taters.

Tuesday, I made a spaetzle and surimi casserole with mushrooms and gruyere which might be related to Monday’s plan of tuna casserole.

Wednesday, I made an Osso Buco which was dinner for Wednesday and Thursday. Polenta as a side. Parsnip gratin.

Thursday, in addition to the leftover Osso Buco, I added some hilopites/ tiny square pasta and jarred puttanesca sauce.

Salmon cooked at home Friday, I got takeout mushroom udon for myself while out.

9 Likes

That just means you have a headstart on planning next week’s meals (or take it as an indication you didn’t REALLY want to cook those skipped ones anyway…) :grinning:

2 Likes

It was too ambitious for a busy week!

1 Like

Hi everyone, feeding two adults and a teen in the Boston burbs. We have finally defrosted from World’s Coldest Soccer Game this morning, against a team that played dirty and unfortunately won. Thank goodness the season is over. We also saw “The Marvels” this afternoon and I highly recommend it - there were a few parts where I couldn’t stop laughing (embarrassing DS, added bonus).

I was feeling a little too lazy to flip through cookbooks, so this week’s meals are mostly based on the contents of my Recipe Keeper app.

Sun: Cheesy chicken enchilada skillet

Mon: bbq meatballs but with instant mashed potatoes because GF panko is awful. Probably polenta and green beans on the side.

Tues: drunken noodles

Weds: homemade pizza - this dough for me and store-bought dough for the guys

Thurs: black bean chili/soup (Smitten Kitchen Keepers) and maybe some cheese quesadillas on the side

15 Likes

Coming over on Sunday, ok?

5 Likes

Last week’s spicy comfort food was a success. Simple comfort food is on the menu this week. I have a few additional outreach events, and some work is being done on our apartment. Gonna be a hectic week.

For two adults in San Diego:

Breakfasts: Probably TJ’s double chocolate croissants, as well as a few breakfasts out because we’ll need to be out of the apartment much earlier than I typically leave for work. Might as well take advantage of it!

S: (tonight) takeout - Garlic naan, chicken tikka masala, saag aloo, and tandoori chicken from a place we hadn’t tried before. Good stuff. Will be putting leftovers in the freezer.
Su: Braised beef with onions (from freezer), red wine, dijon, peas, carrots, mushrooms (my husband can pick them out) over mashed potatoes. Based on my usual stew prep and inspired a bit by this: https://smittenkitchen.com/2014/02/dijon-and-cognac-beef-stew/
M: Pancakes topped with sautéed bananas, served with sausage (freezer)
T: TJs turkey meatballs in red sauce with spinach, served with garlic bread (sourdough from the freezer) and perhaps salad
W: TJs roasted red pepper and tomato soup with gruyere and chive rolls from a local bakery - vegetarian/soup
Th: Linguine with clam sauce and spinach - seafood
F: Heading to Palm Springs for the weekend. We’ve never been to Joshua Tree, so that’s our plan.

Have a good week! Sending healing vibes to those who need them!

15 Likes

Just back from an overnight trip to Charlotte to see a friend. We had a great time, but had a little too much wine, and I’m only just starting to feel human again. Oops! It was wonderful to get to spend time together though. Here’s what we ate this week:

Mon: sheetpan mushroom parm, NYT. I went to a friend’s dinnertime work ceremony (she made captain of Chapel Hill fire fighters!), so put these together for them to heat up. Huge hit, and very easy if you use bottled sauce (I used Rao’s). Double the garlic.

Tues: roasted chicken tagine (COTM), couscous. Delicious. A friend made it the next day and loved it too.

Wed: black bean and chorizo (soyrizo) stew from Milk Street. Served with corn chips. Easy and delicious, pretty much like chili.

Thurs: carry out

Fri: roasted sausages with apples, leeks, mustard and hard cider; mashers.

Sat: wine and intermittent food

Sun: think we’re getting gyros. I said I don’t have it in me to clean up, so LLD doesn’t want tocook, which I absolutely understand.

Wishing everyone a happy and delicious week!

17 Likes

Absolutely! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Actuals for Nov 6 week, cooking for 2 in MN. Where it was freezing all week but they’re forecasting a much warmer and sunny week ahead.

Mon: Breakfast for dinner. Egg rounds (made by me), blueberry pancakes (made by niece), fruit salad (joint effort, me and a grand niece). Final meal In WI with niece, her husband and their 4 kids (including baby twins) -
Tues: Sheet pan meal – kielbasa, potatoes, onions, peppers. The last recipe in this set of Julia Pacheco cheap freezer meals., which I like to simply assemble and bake right away. Bag salad. Cottage cheese & fruit (red grapes, orange, Honeycrisp apple)
Wed: Reheat Sheet pan meal kielbasa, potatoes, onions, peppers. Red grapes.
Thurs: Chili, beer bread. Cottage cheese and peaches. (also enjoyed for lunches the rest of the week)
Fri: Oven Beef teriyaki over white rice, broccoli
Sat: Repeat Beef teriyaki on white rice, broccoli
Sun: Composed salad copying one we enjoyed at a restaurant- Grilled Salmon, steamed asparagus, and chilled cooked shrimp, Iceberg lettuce, cucumber, h.b. egg quarters,w smoked paprika, marinated artichoke hearts, sliced tomatoes, Thousand Island dressing and croutons.

14 Likes

Hello to everyone from the warmer than average Twin Cities of MN so I can have windows open to decrease the smoke stench after an unfortunate baking incident (on the oops thread) I loathe febreeze but the stench is in the upholstery so here’s to open windows. . . Actuals and plans for 2 adults and 2 growing girls enjoying a slight break from all the skating

Tues 7: Big girl had an ortho follow up where she was given the choice: no cast and no skating, or keep the cast for 3 weeks and skate. She didn’t hesitate: I skate! Assorted leftovers and Mr Autumm took her to Skate!

Weds 8: Ina’s chickpea and tomato soup, spinach salads

Thurs 9: Curry chicken (costco) and rice

Fri 10: Old school ground beef tacos and the usual fixings

Sat 11: Pesto chicken sandwiches, spinach salad, assorted crudite. We had the original form this sandwich back at an Applebees in Montana in 2007 but after a few incidents making it I have been reluctant to make it.

Sun 12: Gochuchang fried rice, tempura shrimp (costco) smoked Italian apple cake

Mon 13: Both kiddos skate: Leftover chickpea tomato soup. spinach salad

Take care everyone- happy cooking!

13 Likes