Weekly Menu Planning - March 2022

Hi folks - just stopping in to say it’s nice to see so many familiar names here!

(I’m not back to planning yet, but I’ll try to do some reporting of actuals soon.)

14 Likes

I am just IN AWE of the time and effort so many of you put into your weekly menu planning. It’s a skill/talent I periodically try to cultivate for myself but never seem to have much luck. Is it unethical to copy someone else’s plan?

9 Likes

NO! It’s an honor to have your plan copied!

11 Likes

I do it mostly to never have to think about what to make for dinner. Just show up in the kitchen and follow the spreadsheet.

That it helps reduce food waste and minimizes trips to the grocery store is a bonus.

10 Likes

Not unethical at all!

I haven’t posted here yet (lots of meals out lately, been out of town a bit), but I find it more stressful not to have a plan.

8 Likes

Just thought I’d drop a link for Dish of the Quarter (in lieu of Month) which is in nominations phase for April-June, in case folks who used to participate in DOTM haven’t seen the thread:

6 Likes

Now, that’s a great idea on the toddler and dog book for children! A few lines and pictures of toddler learning to skate/play hockey could fit in easily. A few pages about family dog, then family dog when toddler is born, family dog when toddler starts “sharing” food, family dog when toddler starts crawling and walking, toddler sharing different food at early age, pre schooler meeting very young Samoyed puppy, playing in snow together, pre schooler enjoying food that’s red and shaped like balls, two pages of preschooler insisting on red rather than green on March 17, Samoyed puppy grows up…preschooler switches to different food and family dog loses interest…

6 Likes

For two adults in San Diego:

This week’s breakfasts: Last week, I just ate toasted TJ’s cinnamon swirl bread. Now I’m craving muffins. Hmm…

S: (tonight) takeout pizza - my husband was at an event which had leftovers from their provided lunch, so he brought home an entire cheese pizza. We added grilled chicken and spinach for tonight and will eat the rest for lunches.

Su: Chicken and sausage pasta (spinach, fresh tomato, light cream sauce)

M: Something inspired by this: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020828-lemony-shrimp-and-bean-stew. Will add spinach. - seafood

T: Grilled chicken sandwiches - onions, peppers, cheese, chipotle mayo

W: Potato soup with sourdough toast - vegetarian

Th: TBD - husband has an awkwardly timed event in the evening

F: Leftover bbq ribs from the freezer, esquites.

Have a good week!

14 Likes

I’ve made that shrimp and bean thing - we loved it. My notes say “don’t be stingy with the beans”.

6 Likes

I am so glad to hear this. I really want to work on my planning even if it is really someone else’s.

3 Likes

What a great attitude. Mine definitely needs some adjustment.

2 Likes

I read the Weekly Menu Planning and What’s For Dinner to get new ideas for my meals. Also the Dish of the Month and Cookbook of the Month are good for this too.

8 Likes

You should be a writer yourself!!

5 Likes

I get a CSA bin weekly, which actually helps me with planning since it narrows the options out there to ingredients we are going to have on hand and need to use up. Weeks when I am starting with a complete blank slate, it is a lot more overwhelming. Knowing what meat/protein is on sale or in excess in the freezer helps too. Plus a spreadsheet of "meals we like " and “meals to try” helps.

Takeout and delegating a meal also helps :slight_smile:

I’m no expert, but this works for us.

9 Likes

Ok, I’m going to try to report again… still with family who doesn’t plan ahead, so actuals for now, till I’m back to my own planning!

By way of update, it’s been quite a year so far. My visit home got lengthened by a massive move (out of an ancestral home that’s been continuously lived in for almost a century), COVID for all as soon as my parents’ isolation bubble was opened to let the packers in, stalling to recover, moving, starting to unpack, moving to their second home for the rest of the family coming in for a flying visit over spring break — the first time we were all together in almost 2.5 years, mom turned 80, nephew turned 16… phew!

This week was with the nephews, so meals were all their favorites from home and out.

Sat - My brother’s last night in town. Mom made her signature mutton roast for sandwiches (family travel tradition) with my grandmother’s pan-roasted potatoes. We also had cutlets (like lightly spiced burger patties), and the vegetarians had North Indian takeout from the club (mainly so they could eat butter naan.)

Sun - Cheesetoast (grilled cheese in a pie iron) for some, my mom’s cauliflower cheese for the rest. There’s magic in her hand…

Mon - We ate at the club after tennis — most had North Indian food (again mainly as a butter naan vehicle), I had mushrooms on toast (and fresh sugarcane juice, the real star of the show).

Tues - Pizza! Nephews were craving it, everyone was happy to eat it.

Wed - Big lunch out for the kids’ penultimate day — dim sum at their favorite (fancy) spot. Dinner was Mac & Cheese — intended to be takeout, but that version was awful so I made some quickly using mom’s shortcut recipe.

Thurs - Kids’ last day. Everyone ate what they would miss most till the next visit, which was an interesting spread :joy:. My mom made khichdi (rice and lentil “risotto”) plus we ordered in sweet corn soup, spring rolls, and egg fried rice (from the same chinese place as the day before) for one kid, the other wanted chilli cheese toast with the local cheese, which I made for him. The adults ate pea pulao also made by my mom at my SIL’s request.

Fri - Food coma after they left. We finished the pea pulao with assorted bits and bobs from the fridge.

Sat - More leftover clearing — I made pan-fried noodles topped with a doctored version of three different dishes, plus black mushrooms and shrimp. Very tasty for an odd amalgam.

Sun - Mom’s signature lamb trotter soup, which is amazing (and I had not eaten in several years).

I’m so glad this community regrouped here – I hope as everyone settles in you’ll explore more of the site and get to know more people!

(Also, it’s so great to be able to easily cross-link discussions, tag folks so they see it, bookmark things, upload pics and galleries, use emojis, and so on – I think you’ll all be glad for the tech improvement!)

17 Likes

It sure sounds like it! Thanks for the update, I am sure I wasn’t the only one who was curious. :grinning:

5 Likes

I get a weekly CSA box as well. I love the surprise aspect of it and figuring out ways to use what’s included. Unfortunately, we still have at least 2 months to wait for our first box.

6 Likes

Hi, friends. I returned a few hours ago from my weekend away with my girlfriends, which was great for Friday night (beach at sunset, followed by drinks and dinner in an igloo!) and Saturday morning (amazing breakfast burritos). However, as we were getting organized to leave for a walk on the beach Saturday afternoon, I tripped on the track for the sliding door to the porch, and went flying through the air… I landed on my twice-repaired knee - which is fortunately okay - but broke the big toe on my other foot. So now I’ve got a fancy boot and a referral to ortho for this coming week. We revised our plans for the rest of yesterday and had a Cards Against Humanity marathon instead, while we grazed on pastries and mimosas. It was nice to get away, aside from the flying leap.

In other completely unexpected news, DS came home from school on Weds and announced that he was going to audition for the middle school’s upcoming one-act plays. He’s actually fairly excited about auditioning, and I have NO IDEA where this came from. Fingers crossed for him! (The “parent contract” asks whether the kid wants a big, medium, or small part, so he’s not worried about getting a bigger role than what he wants. That’s if he even gets cast.)

Plans for this week, which I might need to rearrange a bit, are as follows: (feeding two adults and an 11yo in the Boston burbs)

Sun: lasagna, garlic bread, salad. DH and DS are going to the movies (DS’s friend’s birthday party, parents rented the theater so DH gets to go too) so dinner will be a little late.
Mon: turkey burgers, fries, green beans
Tues: Korean steak/rice bowls - someone shared this on CH and we got asparagus in the produce box last week. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/korean-rice-bowl-with-steak-asparagus-and-fried-egg-358210
Weds: chicken and broccoli pot pies (based on a Giada recipe)
Thurs: lasagna 2.0
Fri: tbd

16 Likes

Oh no! So sorry about your toe. Aside from that your weekend sounds like so much fun. And good luck to DS with the audition.

A big lasagna sounds just perfect.

9 Likes

OH NO!!! Truman! I’m so sorry!!!

(I’m glad that you had a fun weekend regardless - and feel better!)

10 Likes