Weekly Menu Planning June 2023

I just had one for the first time today! Strawberry rhubarb with cream, to be specific.

2 Likes

Lulu and I did the drive down to Ft. Lauderdale easily in one (very early) day. She’s a great road trip companion. I finally got to meet the boyfriend, and his family. We took two days on the way back, which was more sensible. LLD had burgers (Impossible for me) ready for us when we got home, which was wonderful!

Mon: penne with (turkey) salami butter, fennel salad

Tues: black bean tacos for L and me, as LLD had a last minute night away

Wed: roasted chickpea and cauliflower curry, basmati, yogurt. This very easy and healthy recipe has become a real favorite of mine, and LLD is ok with it, beans and all.

Thurs: carry out burritos

Fri: Asian fried shrimp sandwiches (I cheat and use frozen fried shrimp, aside from that it’s a NYT recipe), Asian slaw.

Sat: LLD and I went to a party that had plenty of food, Lulu ate leftover curry.

Sun: just back from Father’s Day brunch. I know I won’t want to cook, or eat much, so it’ll be cheese, dips, crackers for anyone who’s hungry.

Finally feeling like summer here - it has come a bit late for our neck of the woods. Hoping you’re all enjoying a beautiful weekend!

14 Likes

Hi, everyone! Not sure if it’s really summer here - the calendar says so but the thermometer is cackling maniacally. We had good weather on Friday for the amusement park trip though, and I got to ride the roller coaster with my mom friends! I took DS to Lowe’s yesterday (he wanted some vegetable plants, and a bird feeder setup for DH’s Father’s Day gift) and we got caught in a downpour, which didn’t let up until the wee hours. It’s dry today, but we’re taking it easy and hanging out.

Sun: lasagna (fingers crossed it turns out okay… there weren’t quite enough noodles in the box, thanks Barilla), steamed asparagus

Mon: turkey burgers, fries, crudités (peppers/carrots)

Tues: office day for me. IP chipotle-honey chicken tacos (NYT) with beans

Weds: out with some old CH friends!

Thurs: I have a work offsite during the day at a local farm, so will be on a hayride (!!) and picking either strawberries, peas, or fresh flowers. Dinner will be leftovers and early - DH and I are going to see “Jagged Little Pill”.

Fri: beef and broccoli ramen stir-fry (I found brown rice/millet ramen noodles at Costco recently)

12 Likes

Hope the lasagna worked out, and interested to hear about the chicken, and also about Jagged Little Pill, and ALSO about the meet up with old CH friends!

3 Likes

For two adults in San Diego:

This week’s breakfasts: Didn’t end up baking last week, so I baked chocolate chip scones yesterday.
This batch of scones did not rise well… I think I reached the limit of how many chocolate chips I should add! :joy: But the crumb is even lighter than usual. Magic?

S: Takeout - Red chile burrito, guacamole

Su: (tonight) TJ’s elote salad mix, with added TJ’s Santa Maria tri-tip and avocado - salad

M: Dinner out (TBD) before an event.

T: Tuna melts served with apple slices - seafood

W: Leftover tri-tip in quesadillas or tacos

Th: Beer cheese dip with fruit and bread - vegetarian

F: TJ’s orange chicken, veggies, and rice. Postponed from a few weeks ago… and again last week. This is the most freezer-reliant meal, so it is the one that gets postponed when something else comes up. Happening a lot recently.

Have a good week!

12 Likes

The lasagna did work out - red sauce and cheese rarely fail! The chicken tacos are ones I’ve made before - it’s this recipe from NYT, though they have a slow-cooker version as well. (I’ll email you about the other stuff.)

1 Like

This one?

Copying!

2 Likes

Yes! I do the whole business of sauteeing the buns in the garlicky mayo, just cook frozen (usually popcorn, but whatever I can get) shrimp in the oven, and add the salt and pepper, and cilantro and sliced chilies. Delicious. Shout out here to @Saregama who gave me the idea a few years back that I don’t have to play by the rules when it comes to frying or ingredients.

5 Likes

Nice. Aldi has some butterfly large breaded shrimp that I think would work well here. https://www.aldi.us/en/products/frozen-foods/frozen-meat-poultry-seafood/detail/ps/p/fremont-fish-market-butterfly-or-coconut-shrimp/

1 Like

Greetings, people.

Three nights left of colonoscopy prep, and then everything goes back to normal. Yay! Our garden is bursting with berries and veggies, and I’m so ready. I asked DH to bring a bowl of strawberries when he comes to pick me up on Monday.

Feeding two adults in the PNW.

FRI: Hot dogs. Mac & cheese.

SAT: Fresh sockeye salmon. Rice.

SUN: Fasting.

MON: Chili (from the freezer). Roasted squash.

TUE: Shrimp Caesar with leafy garden greens.

WED: Roasted scallion chicken. Salad.

THUR: Kofta meatballs (from the freezer). Pita. Hummus. Raita. Greek salad. Marinated olives and feta.

13 Likes

Good luck with the procedure, and bon appetit after!

That scallion chicken sounds really good - I know you’ve mentioned it before, and I probably asked about it then too :

3 Likes

Hi everyone

The crappy wild ride of this year has continued on; I’ll be glad when life settles to boring, normal, unsurprising, and above all – healthy. Leaving out details because it’s stressful to relive them, but thankfully mom’s back on the road to recovery again.

We had a busy two weeks of eating because my brother decided to coincide his visit with my latest trip and everyone wanted to feed him a year’s worth of food in two weeks, but at least it was a distraction from dwelling on the trainwreck that has been this year for our family.

Some of what we ate:

• Shami Kabab (twice-cooked finely-minced meat and channa dal / bengal gram kababs that are a family favorite – I know I’ve complained here before that it is one of the ironies of my life that I am the only one who doesn’t love them but also the only one other than my mother who can make them)
  • Kid roast (annual mom special, twice-cooked lamb or goat leg; I followed her instructions to a T for a change, and - shockingly! - it turned out right hahaha)
  • Fish curry (pomfret and indian salmon for different people)
  • Beef (mutton) curry (beef or buffalo is a specialty order here and we forgot to order it in time, but the outcome was still delicious)
  • Indian Chinese (hakka noodles, soya chili chicken, chicken manchurian, vegetable manchurian, chilli paneer, kung pao potato, crispy wontons, sichuan chicken lollipops, burnt garlic fried rice, young chow fried rice – this overload was a birthday celebration)
  • Kheema aloo not once but twice, that’s how high it ranks on the list of family favorites
  • Pan-roasted chicken and potatoes

Brother has been packed off (along with the shami kababs and kid roast in sandwiches plus various homemade treats for the kids), so now I am planning everything I want to eat before my uncle shows up to visit mom and it’s an all-Indian food fest again :rofl:

On the roster (some carried over from past weeks):

• Sushi bowls — by special request (smoked salmon, avocado, cabbage slaw for crunch, spicy mayo, and wasabi mayo)
  • Viet Garlic Umami noodles with cabbage and lemongrass-brined chicken (cherry bombe via @sallyt)
  • Japanese Salmon & Mushroom Clay Pot Rice or Oyako Donburi
  • Yebeg alicha (Ethiopia cookbook) with improvised injera crepes
  • Enchiladas verdes and mexican rice (riffing on this and somehow incorporating this if iI can)
  • Ants climbing a tree
  • Galbi, japchae, and bibimbap if we have galbi leftovers; possibly also the NYT gochujang butter noodles as a separate meal
  • Lasagna, Malfatti, or Canneloni (waiting for mom’s tummy to settle before this)
13 Likes

So sorry things have been tough, glad to hear your mom is back on track!! Some yummy eating anyway…

5 Likes

I’m SO sorry that things have been so rough. I know that during hard times I have always looked back so wistfully on predictable days. So now I try to be grateful for every one of them. Here’s hoping you have lots of them very soon.

7 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that things are still rough, but glad to hear your mom is doing better! I think all your meals sound great, though! Kung pao potato is really speaking to me :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The scallion chicken (delicious!) is loosely based on a New York Times recipe here. The leftovers are as good as first run.

2 Likes

Hello everyone I am now entering the home stretch before my staycation starts at the end of the workday today. Not that I’m counting or anything ! :slight_smile: I have a couple of museum visits penciled in during my two weeks off and I will look into taking in some movies while I’m off. I might even take in some Canada Day festivities if it isn’t too crowded. I’m sure I will find lots to do over the holidays. Onto my menu for this week for a singleton in Ottawa:

Today: Korean fried chicken for lunch. It is very addictive! The usual salad for dinner.

Saturday: Fridge and freezer clean out day. Penne with white beans and spinach for dinner. The remaining dinners this week may be repeats of last week to finish up last servings of meats etc. I have in the freezer.

Sunday: Beef and pepper stirfry.

Monday: Chilled soba noodle salad.

Tuesday: Chicken wings in black bean salad, spicy cabbage salad on the side.

Wednesday: Pork and asparagus stirfry.

Thursday: Linguine with marinara sauce, veggie side tbd.

Lunches this week will alternate between chicken soup and potato salads.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

13 Likes

Hope you have a great 2 weeks! I’ve been retired for so long I forget what a vacation feels like. I kind of miss the intense enjoyment/relaxation of time away from work, if that makes any sense.

5 Likes

I know the enjoyment and relaxation of being away from work. Since I have been on the workforce long enough I have lots of vacation days accumulated so when I take time off work its usually for two weeks at a time. The downside is that I loose track of time awfully fast.

6 Likes

Cooking for 1 at the Jersey Shore

Saturday: Skinnytaste pulled pork (https://www.skinnytaste.com/slow-cooker-pulled-pork/) used for a sandwich with cole slaw on a potato roll
Sunday: Saturday leftovers
Monday: blackened salmon, cauliflower rice, sauteed zucchini
Tuesday: vegetable manicotti from Endless Summer (https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/cheesy-vegetable-manicotti-4700605)
Wednesday: Tuesday leftovers
Thursday: pork chop, mashed potatoes, Moroccan carrots from Endless summer (https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/moroccan-carrots-3416044)
Friday: Carmine’s penne al vodka

13 Likes