Weekly Menu Planning June 2023

I feel more stressed and busy than I was during the semester. I’m doing summer wrong.

For two adults in San Diego:

This week’s breakfasts: Likely chocolate chip scones

S: (tonight) Takeout chicken curry fried rice, egg rolls

Su: Bacon, avocado, tomato, romaine and butter lettuce tossed with ranch, served with garlic bread - salad

M: Cheeseburgers with chips

T: Shrimp tacos - seafood

W: Cheese (Ewephoria, Cabot black label cheddar, and Prima Donna Red) and fruit (grapes and apples) with bread - vegetarian

Th: Corn, bacon, and parmesan pasta

F: TJ’s orange chicken, veggies, and rice. Postponed from a few weeks ago.

Have a good week!

12 Likes

Congratulations @Harters, hope you thoroughly enjoyed the match!

2 Likes

Thanks. Unfortunately, we don’t have that channel on our cable package so wasnt able to actually watch. Had to keep checking the score online. So, both halves of the Harters household can now claim a “treble”. :grinning:

6 Likes

Yes, congratulations @Harters!!!

2 Likes

Actuals for June 4 week, cooking for two in MN. Where our drought got a tiny bit of relief with an hour of rain Saturday late afternoon. And the 17-months of fire station construction on the corner is going into its final week with only some interior finish, sign installation and one section of asphalt outside remaining. We were able at last to enjoy a quiet and dust-free Saturday lunch on our back deck.

Mon: Rotisserie chicken, watermelon, veggie lasagna, recommended by truman with her caution to paraphrase confusing instructions - I made a half recipe using tortellini, more veggies, skim milk in sauce and mozzarella.
Tues: An old favorite - Company creamed tuna on toast, peas, sliced oranges
Wed: Sheetpan Kielbasa Sausage peppers and potatoes
MADE – Muddy Buddy treats, using peanut butter Rice Chex. Messy but good.
Thurs: Salmon, veggie lasagna. Dessert: Strawberries, almond cake and ice cream. Hosted a spur of the moment dinner guest.
BAKED – Another almond cake same recipe as last week but baked in Bundtlets pans for individual serving-sized portions.
Fri: Reheated Salmon, veggie lasagna. Asparagus. Almond cake with strawberries.
Sat: BAKED – rhubarb/blueberry Willies Crisp.
We Only got 3 C of rhubarb from Saturday’s harvest. I added a 2 C bag of frozen blueberries to get the 5 C of fruit for the recipe; ¾ C sugar with fruit, ¾ C sugar in topping mixture.
Sat & Sun: Turkey (in place of pork) meatballs in coconut broth w brown rice, naan on the side. Dessert. I make a half-recipe of the meatballs with a full recipe of broth. Skipped the lemongrass (which I usually use but forgot to buy), Thai chilies and cilantro, and made my own “fish sauce” with 2 tsp anchovy paste and 4 T water.

Sun: BAKED egg cups (ham, salsa, broccoli) and also puff pastry apple turnovers.

13 Likes

Yay to nearly finished construction! Glad to hear you’re now able to enjoy a meal on your back deck.

4 Likes

Cooking for 1 at the Jersey Shore with a very finicky stomach and appetite. Ugh. So over it.

Tuesday: ham steak, jasmine rice, roasted broccoli with lemon zest
Wednesday: merguez burger with herby yogurt (Small Victories), cauliflower rice, roasted carrots with thyme
Thursday: Wednesday leftovers
Friday: lots of fluids at a local waterfront restaurant/bar (last day of school!)
Saturday: pork loin end roasted with sage and rosemary, jasmine rice, roasted brussel sprouts
Sunday: Saturday leftovers
Monday: Carmine’s pasta pomodoro

13 Likes

Sorry about your stomach, yay to last day of school. And thanks for reminding me about those merguez burgers - they’re so good with that yogurt.

5 Likes

Greetings, People.

I’m on a no-fiber diet for 8 days starting Sunday – need I say more? I’ll be missing out on summer veg for a week, and am thankful this wasn’t scheduled during our very short corn season. I’m declining to be inspired or culinarily challenged by it – I’d rather sulk. I’ll be cruising the canned vegetable aisle in the near term, but I won’t be smiling.

On the upside, we bought a new Weber gas grill. I love grilling on our Kamado-style grills, but seems every year we get shut down for a stretch due to fire-smoke closures. Now we have a back-up, and I’ll be giving it a test run on burgers and dogs this week.

Feeding two adults in the PNW:

FRI: Pan-roasted chicken breasts. Pasta salad. Green salad.

SAT: The last hurrah: shrimp Caesar.

SUN: Beef burgers on the grill. No pickles! Mac and cheese.

MON: Hot dogs. Homemade buns. No pickles!!!

TUE: Salmon. White rice or baguette. Canned veggies.

WED: Chicken burgers on the grill. Mac and cheese.

THUR: Repeat of hot dogs.

12 Likes

Sorry to hear about the no fiber diet. Eight days can seem like a long time… No pickles? Do they have fiber in them?

3 Likes

Ack! The worst. When I have to do it I use a lot of soy sauce and strained fresh lemon juice to wake things up. Also I have been able to use limited quantities of capers and pimento-stuffed olives. And pickle juice would probably be OK, come to think of it.

2 Likes

If I remove the skins and the seeds, I can eat cucumbers/pickles. I might have some pickled spears in the fridge - I’ll have to check. Tedioous as it sounds, it might be worth the effort in this case.

5 Likes

Yes to acid! My current thought is to make a sauce with mayo, ketchup and either cider vinegar or pickle juice (maybe both?).

That sounds good given the constraints! I might add a drop or two of soy for umami.

1 Like

Sorry about missing a week of summer produce… There are a few dishes that I grew up eating with canned vegs: glazed carrots (brown sugar or honey, plus butte) and green beans with “crunchies” - any sort of breading like panko or cornmeal, even shredded Parmesan.

3 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 2 in Chattanooga for the next few days before we go to Europe for family and work for a few weeks. Bustling about my kitchen and enjoying it while I can…
Breakfast: Maritozzi, just to be fancy
Saturday, June 17: There’s a block party, and I’m making these chickpeas as a side dish. Also helping provide a meal for some families in distress; making the pork and black bean chili from Dinner and cornbread.
Sunday: Extra chili from Saturday and biscuits from the freezer; green beans; peanut butter cookies
Monday: Meatballs and garlic bread to welcome our house sitter
Tuesday-Friday: Airplane food followed by whatever MIL cooks up

Happy Father’s Day and Juneteenth to those celebrating, and happy cooking!

13 Likes

Another +1 for that merguez and herby yogurt recipe – making a mental note because it’s been way too long since I’ve eaten it!

2 Likes

I always bookmark the ginger and lemongrass meatball recipe and then forget to make it – thanks for the reminder!

1 Like

Actuals for June 12 week, cooking for two in MN. Where an expected hectic week of daily appointments took a relaxed turn for Fri/Sat when the cataract procedure for my husband got rescheduled to early July. So I had time for some extra reading, specialty grocery-shopping, and a few garage sales. I found a heavy-duty book stand that may work for holding a cookbook while I make a recipe. And some file boxes to collect pages of printed/copied recipes. But I resisted adding to the cookbook collection. Cooking shortcuts for busy days - I spent some grocery R&D budget on a local meat-supplier’s ready-to-cook pork tenderloin, and also took advantage of the grocery’s deli-salads sale to try a sampler of 4 new ones.

Mon: Bacon topped seasoned pork tenderloin (Meat dept, ready to cook), Corn on the cob, Sweet potato. Dessert-Strawberries
Tues: reheated Bacon topped pork tenderloin & Sweet potato, bag salad. Dessert- Strawberries and ice cream w almond cake
Wed: Crab dip (recipe in comment below) and crackers, bag salad, corn on the cob
Thurs: Chicken wild rice w carrots, celery, peas Crock Pot freezer meal - a rare bad recipe from Julia Pacheco – many typo’s in the written recipe, and flavors did not work well for me.
One of five recipes in the group of freezer meal ideas. I’m testing quite a few to choose some for a late-summer freezer-fill with my niece, who is expecting twins in late September.
Fri: Reheat Chicken wild rice w carrots, celery, peas. Asparagus w hollandaise. Red grapes. Strawberries with cake & ice cream
Sat: A quiet evening meal on our back deck - Reheat last of pork tenderloin, sauteed mushrooms, sweet potato, iceberg salad with tomatoes, radish, parm and croutons
Sun: (today) - noon -Lasagna soup, bag salad, baguette . Dinner - Coronation chicken using Deli Major Grey chicken salad as a start with added apricots almonds & more shredded chicken, spinach, cooking extra rice for freezer.

10 Likes

The Trawler’s Famous Crab Dip

1 cup crab meat, shredded (8 oz. package mock crab)
½ cup finely grated shredded cheddar cheese
¼ cup mayonnaise (Heilmans), heavy duty restaurant type if possible
¼ cup French salad dressing
1 teaspoon horseradish, cream style

Mix all ingredients. Serve on club crackers. Also good on small toast squares, or as filling for croissant sandwiches.
For a dip - may add up to 1 cup total of mayo, if desired. May add more horseradish or French dressing for extra kick.
From cookbook – Doin’ the Charleston, recommended by a co-worker in 1978

1 Like