Weekly Menu Planning – July 2023

Yes, I appreciate that and enjoy that. Which is why I’d rather my comments were deleted rather than being hived off to, say, the “what have you been watching” thread which I have marked never to appear updated for me.

5 Likes

Sorry MTT!

And I kind of “know” people in this thread, which helps a lot when you get suggestions on things.

4 Likes

No worries, all. I love the chatty conversational tone of our WMP with friends. This particular “drift” became a separate off-topic ping-pong.

1 Like

Same for me, Harters. I don’t participate in WMP with posting menu plans because of my particular family cooking situation. However, I do love participating with comments and questions about the menus and recipes, and being part of building and maintaining a community. So I, too, would prefer for my watching comments be deleted than transferred to another thread that I will most likely not even notice.

And same for me, LLM, I “kind of know” so many of the people who post on WMP that their comments about meals, recipes, and … what to watch when you are cooking for one…are part of cooking community building and have a particular resonance when suggestions are made.

6 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Suggestions for “I get to watch whatever I want” series

As requested, the series suggestion is now here:

Please continue your conversation there.

I’ve deleted two of my four contributions that have now been transferred. The system won’t let me delete the other two for another 23 hours.

Sorry for having drifted the conversation everyone.

I personally thought it was a good diversion, and very similar to other drifts that have been common on this topic.

3 Likes

Thanks for the fish prep ideas. And the tzatziki potato salad concept!

2 Likes

Thank you, naf. Folks - to explain my reasoning: I note that 19 posts were moved and there are now 10 remaining here discussing the move i.e., more than half of the posts in this thread were off-topic, non-food “what to watch” drift. Our usual drifts are 5 comments or less or are a side note embedded within additional menu posts. The nice thing about HO is that for a split like this a forwarding address is provided and your own profiles will get notifications.

3 Likes

Greetings, People.

It’s going to be a busy stretch – outdoor activities rule. Opting for cold suppers towards the latter end of the week – I’m wanting more hours in the day.

Feeding two adults in the PNW.

FRI: 15 Bean Soup from the freezer. Homemade ciabatta rolls. Chopped salad.

SAT: Cabbage, carrot and scallion stir-fry. Rice.

SUN: Salmon Caesar. Homemade baguette.

MON: Pan-roasted chicken thighs. Garden veg.

TUE: Beef on the grill with zucchini. Fresh tomatoes and cukes.

WED: Sandwiches and whatnot.

THUR: Sandwiches and whatnot.

12 Likes

Not needed. You are the thread’s OP. That does not give you the right to dictate how the thread progresses, regardless of how much or how often you might make statements that attempt it. In this cae, you have made a pitch to the moderators and the mods have agreed with your pitch. I neither agree with your stance or the moderators decision. However, whilst I might not agree with the moderators, they are always the moderators and I always respect their decision.

You have now set the principle, with moderator agreement, that comments that are not on-topic are unwelcome here. It is an unpleasantness that I am pleased does not pervade the rest of the forum but so be it.

4 Likes

This is a carryover thread from Chowhound, and lines were drawn harder there, whereas HO is more fluid and conversational (and flexible).

My 2c is that I think the general tone and flexibility here is an asset. It’s hard enough to sustain community, never mind build it. Splintering off conversations dilutes the sense of familiarity that keeps us coming back.

Some drift happens everywhere, but especially on a thread like this one, you’re always going to come back to topic because someone will eventually post a weekly plan.

As long as it’s not intentional derailing or negative comments meant to undermine the thread or individual posters, drift by those already regularly engaged in this thread doesn’t bother me (maybe it even makes the overall discussion more engaging over time).

That said, if someone who isn’t ever a participant in WMP decided to drop in only to engage in the drift, that would create a different dynamic, so that’s the other side of the coin I guess.

5 Likes

This is one of my favorite threads as a lurker (only because I can’t plan beyond a day) because it is blessedly free of animosity and is solely for menu planning. It is clearly stated month-after-month to keep this thread food-focused. This latest “transgression” about TV shows was harmless, but not something I was interested in because I don’t watch TV so I scrolled on, but imagine that 1 errant/disagreeable post and the ensuing replies that would derail this thread from its intended purpose? I can understand the monthly polite request to keep things food-focused to keep this fun and useful thread free of clutter. Apologies to @MidwesternerTT for the continuing non-food-focused discussion but I had to chime in. Back to lurker status and back to the FOOD! :grinning:

3 Likes

Hello everyone! I survived my first week back at the office after two weeks of staycation although I must admit it’s always hard getting back into the regular work routine after not having a schedule to stick to :slight_smile:

My spare time continues to be a little quieter than I would like since my employer finally processed my leave-without-pay from when we were on strike at the end of April so I watched my bank balance go down when my rent and utilities were paid on July 1st :frowning: Oh well we get three pays in August so I will hopefully watch it go back up a bit and hopefully I will resume outings with my dinner club, film society, etc.

Onto my menus for a solo diner from Ottawa, Canada for this week:

Today: I bought a cheese tray from a nearby restaurant so I am now enjoying some aged cheddar, a soft ripened cheese, and some candied pecans and walnuts. The cheese tray comes with grapes which I will have as a mid afternoon snack with some dark chocolate. Dinner tonight will be a salad.

Saturday: Stuffed red pepper. I will be stuffing it with some ground beef and rice and topping it off with a little tomato sauce. I haven’t decided yet what I will have on the side.

Sunday: Thai coconut fish curry with chow mein noodles.

Monday: Vegetarian peanut soup.

Tuesday: Chicken gyro salad.

Wednesday: Ham fried rice.

Thursday: Pasta puttanesca.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

12 Likes

Hi, everyone. Cooking for two adults and a bona fide teenager (!) in the Boston burbs. Summer is going quickly - DS is halfway through his drama program and has survived (and, I suspect, secretly enjoyed) some ballet and tap classes. I have also survived multiple consecutive workdays in the office - it’s been weird for sure.

Sat: rescheduled steak/noodle salad, followed by the last of DS’s birthday cake for himself and DH and a (homemade gf) mug brownie for me

Sun: turkey burgers, chips, carrot sticks

Mon: IP butter chicken and gf naan

Tues: birria tacos - we introduced DS to birria tacos on Friday night (went out) and he loved them so much that he powered through the too-spicy-ness. Rice and beans on the side. I may make the meat ahead of time if I’m organized.

Weds: chicken spanakopita meatballs (Rachael Ray), tzatziki, leftover naan for me / pita for the guys

Thurs: leftovers for adults / carnival junk for DS (taking him and a friend)

Fri: leftover birria in quesadillas

12 Likes

Birria has been I my “must make” list for so long … I must make it!

2 Likes

It’s Comic-Con week! The most wonderful time of the year!

For two adults in San Diego:

This week’s breakfasts: Will bake double chocolate chip muffins. Nice and portable for my purse. :wink:

S: (tonight) takeout - green chile and bean burrito

Su: A version of this: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1021273-white-bean-caprese-salad, with a little salami added. Will probably serve with garlic bread - salad

M: TJs green Chile and cheese tamale with beans and guacamole - vegetarian

T: Dinner provided by employer during an evening event. Should be tacos.

W: Orange chicken and veggies (from freezer) with noodles - postponed from last week

Th-Su: San Diego Comic-Con. :slight_smile: There will likely be a few seafood meals at touristy restaurants near the convention center, which is located on San Diego Bay.

Have a good week!

12 Likes