Weekly Menu Planning - December 2022

I had an account on epicurious for YEARS, and suddenly I can’t get into the site. I’d have been ok with paying if they’d let me know. Like ginny, I had subscriptions to Gourmet, and then Bon Appetit.

2 Likes

LLM - I can forward you my daily email from Epicurious offering a subscription. :grinning: If you’re a gmail user those notifications probably went to the “Promotions” tab/folder.

1 Like

They probably did. I feel like the site has been getting less and less useful over the years. How much are they asking?

$30 per year is the fee in my emails

1 Like

Last night’s birthday dinner was so many dumplings from Din Tai Fung. Mmm… The rest of the week will have a hard time following that up. We’ve decided to do a snacks week from Christmas to New Year’s. There will be a lot of cheese, but we’ll try to eat in moderation. :joy:

For two adults in San Diego:

This week’s breakfasts: finishing off purchased cinnamon bread loaf as toast.

S: (tonight) TJs chicken and beef tamales, “Christmas”-style. Using up cans of Hatch red and green enchilada sauce. Topped with cheese and guacamole. Easy, tasty dinner.

Su: Breakfast - eggs, sausage, potatoes, toasted cinnamon bread. Dinner - deconstructed chicken cordon bleu (braised chicken breasts, ham, aged Swiss in a creamy sauce), peas, pasta

M: Cured meat and cheese board. A friend gave us a gift card to a local cheese monger, so this should be fun. Will include bread, fruit, nuts, and maybe pickles.

T: Pollo asado fries, to use up leftover chicken and potatoes. Topped with cheese, guacamole, sour cream, and salsa.

W: A variety of TJs snacks - veggie samosas? Veggie spring rolls? - vegetarian

Th: My husband has requested beer cheese. Will use this recipe as inspiration: https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/beer-cheese-dip/. Bread and apples to dip in it. - vegetarian

F: Spinach and shrimp dip, with bread. - seafood

S: NYE - empanadas from a local eatery, a recent tradition for us.

Su: New Year’s Day - more empanadas because why not start the new year off with tasty, savory, spicy pies.

Have a good week! I hope you have peaceful, restful mid-winter holidays. May the upcoming new year be a good one!

13 Likes

Actuals for Dec 19 week, thru Christmas Day. Cooking for 2 in MN, where plates of cookies got taken to friends, between snowstorms, blizzard winds and sub-zero (F) cold. Two friends will get their cookies as New Years gifts. Our cards got mailed out Wednesday around lunch time, ahead of the major winds. I’d intended to also bring home take-out for lunch. The road in front of our house looked fine as I headed out, but I quickly realized main roads were snow-packed and ice glazed. I called from my car to announce a change-of-plan for lunch and when I arrived home I found my dear husband had braved the (overpacked) freezer to get out and heat the meal. Santa brought him extra cookies this year. :wink:

Mon: Rotisserie chicken, mashed potatoes, fresh apples (3 varieties – Ginger Gold, Paula Red, Cosmic Crisp) Fig & ginger jam over cream cheese, with crackers
Tues: French dip: Marinated beef sirloin roast in bun, with beef/onion broth for dip, tater tots, red grapes
Wed: Chicken meatballs marsala with egg noodles, from Smitten Kitchen Every Day cookbook

fresh spinach salad. Note that recipe calls for WAY more noodles than needed. 4 oz. would probably be enough.
Thurs: Salmon, Wild rice & apple in a butternut squash bowl
Fri: Fast 35-minute chicken noodle soup (which was good, but better next-day for lunch), naan bread
Sat: Chili, corn bread in Snowflake pan
Sun/CHRISTMAS: Steak & lobster, spinach souffle, mushrooms, baked potato, fresh pear
BAKED / griddled a full batch of Krumkake (added cardamom to half)

11 Likes

Cooking for 1 at the Jersey Shore

Tuesday: buttermilk-brined boneless skinless chicken breast (roasted), box stuffing, steamed green beans
Wednesday: Green spaghetti from the newest Smitten Kitchen cookbook (Smitten Kitchen Keepers)
Thursday: bolognese from the freezer over penne
Friday: marinated pork chop, baked potato, roasted carrots with thyme
Saturday: mojitos hehehehe
Sunday: homemade meatballs from the freezer (red sauce is my hangover cure) over penne
Monday: tacos with creamy zucchini, corn, and poblano rajas in flour tortillas

14 Likes

I like Saturday’s menu!

5 Likes

going out with a neighbor and I paid for open bar. hahaha

4 Likes

Uninspired planning for two adults and a tween in Boston. We’re all home, all week… We had a nice holiday weekend and our second annual “friends over for Chinese food on Xmas eve” shindig was a big hit, despite the food being delivered almost an hour early - before anyone was here!

Sun: for brunch I made double chocolate muffins (https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/double-chocolate-muffins/ ) or cinnamon rolls from the can. Dinner was ham, mashed potatoes for the guys / leftover latkes for me, green beans. Lots of cookies.

Mon: leftover ham, choice of leftover potatoes OR the sweet potato gnocchi I felt like eating. Froze most of them.

Tues: fish tacos (frozen panko’d halibut) and beans

Weds: chicken and dumplings from the new SK cookbook. I’m oddly not inspired by most of the recipes - too many of them have key ingredients my household won’t eat.

Thurs: “sweet and spicy pork tenderloin” with rice and veggies (Real Simple magazine)

Fri: chicken posole in the IP

Sat: tbd but we’ll be home, and there will be ice cream sundaes for dessert

12 Likes

(post deleted by author)

14 Likes

That’s a really smart goal/resolution. I should probably try to follow your lead.

Happy New Year to all of you!!!

7 Likes

Whoa - January’s almost here! Those of you who post ahead were probably wondering where the New Year post was… Here’s the link. Weekly Menu Planning - January 2023

3 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for a range of people in Livermore, CA. Trying to remember my actuals this week: so much food! Like Wanda, I’m going to have a hard time getting back to normal working life next week, even though I’m still traveling…

Monday, December 26: Big family meal with my dad’s family: tenderloin, Ottolenghi potato & celery root gratin, tiropita, green beans, salad, fruit salad, cheesecake. My sister and I got up at 5 to make it all happen by 1.

Tuesday: Burmese food with daughter’s BF’s family in Vacaville, very fun

Wednesday: Out for BIL’s birthday for both lunch and dinner, which was a mistake, though very fun

Thursday: Dips for dinner! Feta dip and muhamarra to use up some things in the fridge

Friday: Chicken-stuffed peppers

Saturday (today): Out for Korean in Richmond with our CA daughter and then home for an early toast and bed :slight_smile:

I have ingredients to make the Smitten Kitchen baked brie and a sausage and mushroom stew before I leave on Tuesday; we’ll see whether that comes to pass…

Have a lovely new year’s eve however you celebrate, and I’ll see you in 2023 (even though I probably won’t be doing much planning/cooking until mid-January…)! Happy cooking!

11 Likes

Have you made those chicken-stuffed peppers before? Do you think dried mint could be used (at 1/3 the measures)?

I made them last night without the bulgur (diabetic step-mom), and they were very good! I also left out the cilantro because she’s not a fan. I would think the dried mint would work (especially in the sauce), but I would go easy and taste as you go (as I’m sure you do!).

1 Like

That baked brie looks fantastic. Hope you love it!

1 Like

Actuals for the last week of December thru New Years Day, cooking for 2 in MN, where I spent this morning playing in my kitchen making quarter-recipes of appetizers, for just us two.

it’s a good thing my 2022 calendar included a bonus month for January 2023 since we’ve got a backlog of appointments (like the eye exams we skipped last year…) already scheduled to check off our to-do lists. And my new calendar arrives Tuesday… anyone else finding themselves “fussy” about style and layout of calendar pages? It took several hours of hunting online and in stores to get the right one ordered. Along the way I saw several that had separate areas for meal-planning and also for separate tracking of work vs family/home goals and appointments.

Mon: Hot ham & Swiss sandwiches on party buns, devilled eggs, salad w spinach, tortilla chips w guac
Tues: OUT for my Christmas gift of “fancy restaurant meal, your choice” – I chose lunchtime to enjoy the view, too. We split/shared two mains - a fabulous composed salad main dish, a variation on “Shrimp Louie”: Grilled herb-rubbed salmon beside (highly salted) shredded lettuce, with chilled jumbo shrimp, cherry tomato halves, quartered hard boiled egg, asparagus spears, cucumber, quartered artichoke heart, Thousand Island dressing on side. 2nd main was an open faced broiled crab sandwich topped with sliced tomato and cheese. Dessert - Molten chocolate cake with berries.
Wed: Hot ham & Swiss on party bun, few bites each of chili, Onion rings (Schwans), Fresh orange slices
Thurs: Lunch - chicken lo mein – roughly based on this, add broccoli and red bell pepper, half or less of noodles https://www.marthastewart.com/346795/chicken-lo-mein-with-ginger-mushrooms, fresh pear, Dinner - Salmon, bag salad, mashed potatoes, red grapes. Wine.
Fri: Street corn chicken, sliced avocado, grape tomatoes, tortilla chips, Normandy vegetables, https://www.juliapacheco.com/street-corn-chicken/
Sat: BAKED Sausage muffins (for breakfasts this week, and sampled with supper) from video by Jessica O’Donohue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wxx9hITltHM
Reheated Street corn chicken, sliced avocado, grape tomatoes, tortilla chips
Sunday (Today): Seven appetizers extravaganza - a)Bacon-wrapped, almond-stuffed dates, b)Bacon wrapped mayo/Chili-sauce water chestnuts, c)cucumber on Ranch-dressing/cream cheese cracker, d) shrimp w/ cocktail sauce, e)ham/cream cheese pickle rollup slices, f) slow-cooker meatballs in grape jelly/chili/BBQ sauce, g) Spinach dip w/ Hawaaian bread chunks for dipping.

9 Likes

Hey! I missed this! What is the Burmese place in Vacaville?

The Burmese place is actually in Davis; we brought takeout to the house in Vacaville…I think it’s My Burma