Weekly Menu Planning - April 2024

In case it’s helpful, I’m obsessed with this one: https://www.food.com/recipe/black-bean-soup-244561

I reduce the water, onion, and lime juice and omit the chipotle chili (but not the adobo sauce). I add the ham only at the end. Before adding the ham, I puree for a few seconds with the immersion blender just to give it some body. No cornstarch; I like a brothy base. I’m planning to make this for a teacher luncheon where they need gluten-free, vegan options (minus the ham of course!).

4 Likes

Copying. Yum. I just put a hold on her latest cookbook at the library.

1 Like

I just made up the sauce for tonight’s dinner (half recipe will be plenty for us). I ended up adding the equivalent of 1/2 t. powdered buttermilk to the full recipe. While I rarely use full fat mayo, I did here as there is so little called for. Makes all the difference. :yum:

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up using a Rachael Ray recipe I printed a while back; the online version now calls for way more beans and broth. I used 2 cans and about 1.5 C, respectively. I also whirred it with the immersion blender to get rid of the big veggie chunks (and hide the celery…).

6 Likes

Hi, everyone. Cooking for three in the Boston burbs, where the world has been so weird lately! We got a few inches of slushy snow on Thursday, then felt vibrations from the NJ earthquake on Friday, and are gearing up to (safely) watch the eclipse at 93% totality on Monday afternoon.

Sun: chicken souvlaki, green beans with lemon and oregano. I’ll make extra to have for my lunches this week.

Mon: pasta with ham (left over from Easter), Parmesan, and toasted walnuts; asparagus

Tues: fish tacos, beans

Weds: pork tenderloin (roasted with some sort of herb/spice mix), socca, vegetable tbd

Thurs: meatballs, red sauce, polenta; roasted broccoli

11 Likes

Meatballs and polenta sound so good!

Socca too!

I had no idea the NJ shocks were felt in boston — my friends said they “felt” it via zoom calls where the other person in ny/nj suddenly started shaking, lol.

Re pork — you might like this milk street recipe.
It’s easy — and easy to adjust for any ingredients that might offend too :slight_smile: I made it last week. (There’s also a pork tenderloin ideas thread.)

4 Likes

Actuals for the first week of April, cooking for 2 in MN. Where garden rhubarb leaves are up, so the six-week countdown to first upside down cake of the season has started - ETA May 17. It’s been a high-sodium week featuring leftover ham, lunches out, carryout pizza and prepared entrees. Only 2 freshly-cooked mains (Wed & Fri).

Mon: Celebration carry-pizza – taxes DONE.
Tues: Ham with glaze, sweet potatoes, asparagus, pea salad, devilled eggs.
Wed: Salmon, pea salad, sweet potatoes
Thurs: Chicken/ginger/coconut/mango meatballs with white rice (from freezer), sugar snap peas
Fri: An R&D meal – Chicken Maryland Rolls – P. 70 The Book of Sandwiches by Louise Steele. “Maryland” refers to the fried bananas that are included in the multi-layer stack on a bun (poppy seed roll in recipe). A surprisingly great combo! A fried potato/corn/onion patty stacked on bun & lettuce leaves (spinach for us), topped with sauteed sliced chicken breast, sliced tomatoes and the bananas. Makes a VERY tall sandwich with the top bun on. I put the fried bananas in a side bowl, we tasted the sandwich without them first, then cautiously added some to another bite. And quickly loaded the rest on our sandwiches.
Sat: Pizza – Carry out. Monday’s was so good, we wanted another.
Sun: (today) - Gyros, naan, cucumber sauce, ripe olive slices, tomatoes. Barely lemon bunny Bundt cakelet (frozen last weekend) with strawberries.

11 Likes

Jealous of the rhubarb. Did the book explain what bananas might have to do with Maryland??

Hi everyone! I’m slightly losing my mind over the stress of Lulu’s college decision. Pretty sure she’s ruled out Duke - too close to home, and who wants to run into their dad (he teaches there) when they’re being a grown up college student? I fully understand this. We’re headed to visit the last two options this coming weekend, hoping that will help make the decision easier. They aren’t in the same area, so it will be a hectic weekend. Here is what we ate:

Mon: LLD made crabcakes, tater tots, and … his signature arugula salad!

Tues: chile crisp fettuccine alfredo with spinach and mushrooms from the NYT. If you make this, and you should as it is easy and delicious, you definitely want to add garlic at the start.

Wed: white chicken chile, tortilla chips

Thurs: carry out

Fri: inspired by munchkin, asparagus goat cheese tart, salad

Sat: sushi feast for straight A report card. Only one non college report card left!

Sun: LLD said he’s to exhausted to cook, so I think it will be carry out. Enjoying my day off.

Spring is in full bloom and it is beautiful here in Chapel Hill. Hope you have a beautiful spring week too.

17 Likes

Congratulations to Lulu for the straight A’s! You must be very proud of her.

4 Likes

The intro to this Chicken Maryland recipe says:

Escoffier’s Chicken Maryland is a breaded, pan-fried chicken garnished with bananas. According to Francis Beirne’s 1951 classic “The Amiable Baltimoreans,” bananas were one of the Port of Baltimore’s 10 leading imports, and they made their way into all sorts of dishes.

Did you know that in Australia, chicken marylands means leg quarters?

5 Likes

I had no idea. Very interesting, thank you!

2 Likes

Happy Monday folks! Cooking for two in the burbs outside of Philly. Weather is supposed to be fairly warm most of the week though there is rain in the forecast for the latter half of the week.

Monday 04/08- Mississippi Pot Roast made in the Instant Pot. Matthew will likely have his as sandwiches (with provolone) while I will have mine with some roasted cauliflower.

Tuesday 04/09- Udon Soup with assorted dumplings and spring rolls from the freezer stash.

Wednesday 04/10- Jambalaya w/ andouille and chicken

Thursday 04/11- Take out or delivery of some sort

Friday 04/12- Breakfast for dinner using leftover ham from Easter.

Saturday 04/13- Arayes; not sure what we will do on the side. Definitely some kind of yogurt-y dipping situation.

I hope everyone has a wonderful week!

14 Likes

Sunday: oven roasted lamb souvlaki, salad

Monday, satay-influenced roasted chicken thighs, with curry powder, coriander seed, turmeric, brown sugar and garlic.
Maybe a minimalist gado gado
I have celery root, cauliflower and green beans on hand

Tuesday
Pork rib chops
Käsespätzle
Red cabbage (from a jar, clearing out the fridge!)

Wednesday
English cut beef short rib, maybe Galbi- ish

10 Likes

Back after a week’s vacation in Florida. Didn’t make much of the plan last time as we were trying to use up everything we could before we left, not buy new groceries.

Here’s how things are looking so far for two adults and a kid in Asheville:

Sunday: spaghetti and frozen meatballs in the slow cooker, garlicky garden spinach

Monday: Cuban sandwiches using prepared carnitas and ham from the freezer, whatever veg I can cobble together (salad/slaw of celery, grapes, walnuts, and apple in mustrardy vinaigrette?)

Tuesday: bibim guksu garnished with HB egg, cucumber, lettuce, kimchi, and radish; crispy battered chicken bites, pickled carrot and radish from previous Vietnamese meals

Wednesday: taquitos enchiladas verdes (loose interpretation of TikTok trending recipe)

Thursday: ham, goat cheese, and asparagus crostada (riffing on the trending NYT tart), salad; kiddo may have spaghetti if there’s still any left over

Friday: hopefully finally going to make Azin Nsonou (Peanut Stew) and Bay leaf-infused fonio

These days may get shifted around but I think this will be the general menu as I only need to buy a few groceries to supplement. Have a nice spring week, everyone!

14 Likes

Adding one more seasonal meal: lightly smoked seared salmon, feta/Parm Regg pea puree, and sauteed sugar snaps. Some type of starch - likely pasta to appease kiddo.

9 Likes

This is really nice lightly truffled too (salt or oil) and topped with mushrooms too.

3 Likes

I meant galette. Always confuse them. I’m so happy with how it looks! :crossed_fingers:t2:it tastes good.

15 Likes

The freezer and pantry are my best friends this week.

For two adults in San Diego:

Breakfasts: Alright, I haven’t had a chance to bake or go to the store due to traveling for the eclipse, so there will be a few days of frosted raspberry Pop Tarts this week to tide me over. :joy:

S, Su, M: meals out while in Indianapolis.

T: Leftover soup and garlic bread - vegetarian/soup

W: Leftover orange chicken, veggies, and rice

Th: Leftover chicken and bean tostadas

F: Macaroni and cheese with crab and peas

Have a good week and clear skies!

10 Likes

Greetings People:

Chilly weather last week meant not as much asparagus coming in from the garden as I had hoped. I managed to make the tart (yay!), but the tempura feast got pushed back to this week. The sequence of this week’s planned meals is subject to change for the same reason, but here’s what’s on the agenda.

Cooking for two adults in the PNW:

FRI: Asparagus and shrimp tempura. Rice. Dipping sauce.

SAT: Spring herb khachapuri. Salad greens.

SUN: Marcella’s roast chicken with two lemons (first time making it). Pasta salad.

MON: French dip sandwiches on homemade baguette. Leftover pasta salad.

TUE: Roasted asparagus quiche (DOTQ). Pasta or green salad.

WED: Steak on the grill. Grilled potatoes. Sauteed garden spinach.

THUR: A repeat of the Skinnytaste Food-cart Chicken. This one rang all my bells – so tasty. The recipe is going into permanent rotation.

14 Likes