What's For Dinner #105 - the Start Your Gardens! Edition - April 2024

Just curious - does this mean you always have different dishes for dinner or is this one just an exception?

1 Like

Haddock smothered under tomato sauce, and also overcooked (still pretty good). Creamed spinach (always a winner).

14 Likes

Lamb meatballs, air-fried, over the last of the black lentils, with avocado and feta

20 Likes

Mushroom ragu with rice noodles - ragu was made with brown button mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, king oyster mushrooms, carrots, shallots, garlic, seitan (only chorizo flavored was unfortunately available), smoked paprika, teriyaki sauce, cilantro, jalapeno, gochugaru and mushroom broth

17 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was Ham & Onion Quiche (green beans on the side). I froze the rest of the leftover Easter Ham. I’ll use it up in various recipes over the next month or so.

23 Likes

Spanish potluck dinner with friends.

I made a couple of small tortillas espanola with alioli, beet and orange salad, pork pinchos morunos (from that milk street recipe), roasted asaparagus also with the alioli, and a burnt basque cheesecake.

My friends set out a cheese and charcuterie board and made gambas al ajillo, what was supposed to be chicken and chorizo but they couldn’t find chorizo, sauteed mushrooms, and rice. And supplied the wine and their home!

I love the way the little 2-egg tortillas turn out in my little carbon steel pan! But now I have linda’s problem of lots of alioli to use up. (Thinking chicken salad, because I bought a lot of chicken for the chicken dish before my friend decided she wanted to make it and I acquiesced :grinning:)

The beet and orange salad was a first for me, and lovely and refreshing especially against everything else.

The cheesecsake was new to all my friends, slightly overcooked in the center by my read, but they didn’t care (I wanted to bring home a slice but one couple wanted to take some home for their kid, so I gave up my share of the leftovers so he could have 2 slices).

The pinchos morunos were tasty as they always are.

20 Likes

Huevos rancheros

23 Likes

Dinner tonight started with spring mix dressed with an evoo, balsamic, garlic dressing then a fettuccine al pesto. I had intended on making dal for dinner but I left the museum this afternoon way later than planned. By the I time I got home I was peckish and tired so I dipped into some already made pesto sauce and served it over fettuccine. There will be leftover pasta for lunch tomorrow.

17 Likes

The quiche looks WONDERFUL!

5 Likes

Perfect way to use up the alioli! (Now I want chicken salad with alioli.)

4 Likes

No, not always. Just now and then.

1 Like

Thank You!! I have one piece left and will be serving that to Neighbor #2 for lunch.
I asked her if she would like it re-heated for lunch today. An overwhelming “YES!!” was her answer, as she told me how much she had enjoyed it for dinner.

As a side note, I’m getting better and better at making the crust. I guess there is a learning curve when it comes to making pie crusts.

9 Likes

I havent seen green Cholula, is it a new one?

I think its been around for awhile, its a bit less spicy than the original.

1 Like

Did a Wegmans trip for one of my clients (the CA kid whose standard reply to pretty much every txt of mine is “awesome” :rofl:) in ratty weather, which is unfortunately supposed to stick around for a while.

My PIC was a busy bee in the kitchen this AM – preparing BISO chicken thighs & that addictive Peruvian green sauce I could drown in

for tonight’s meal: a Sino-Peruvian mashup if you will, as I was really craving the gai lan I picked up a few days ago. I topped it with a bunch of sliced shiitake I braised earlier and added a splash of oyster sauce on top. Mexicoke on the side to balance out the amount of salt consumed :smiley:

18 Likes

A joint-cooking effort tonight. DH made a Greek-ish leg of lamb, grilled rotisserie-style on the Weber gas grill. I made pita, raita, hummous, a Mediterrenean chopped salad, and marinated olives and feta. Delicious – every bit.

24 Likes

From a Facebook reel (maybe taken from Tiktok?), made myself warmed tofu with a chili garlic soy sauce. Sauce was really tasty, though i added Thai bird chilies instead of red pepper flakes. Roasted broccoli on the side, with evoo, salt, crispy garlic and minced dried onion, and bourborn smoked paprika, under the broiler for 15 mins. Fantastic, almost better than the tofu. I never thought to put smoked paprika on broccoli, what a fool I’ve been!

BF’s dinner of macaroni with meat sauce and sauteed zucchini on top.

19 Likes

DIY hot pot for one with sichuan peppercorn chicken soupbase. I.e. Cleaning out the fridge.

20 Likes

I have never thought to do a personal hot pot — great idea, thanks!

1 Like

Serious Eats Pan roasted chicken breast with lemon and thyme.

Mine is the one with the remote control toothpick, husband is sans toothpick, cooked to 160f. :grimacing:

19 Likes