Weekly Menu Planning April 2023

A few more days to plan here as I count down to going home for a few days of meetings and errands (I left abruptly expecting to be gone for a week or two, here we are 2 months later).

Actuals for the last week and ideas through the weekend and for the first few days back in my own kitchen:

Fri - Freezer dive seafood feast of Ghee Roast Crab and chilli-garlic squid.

Sat - Repeat of Momo Night. I made a crunchy lace “skirt” for some of the dumplings that was fun to eat.

Sun - A lighter take on spinach artichoke pasta, with Chicken Diavolo for some of us (loosely inspired by a recipe in former COTM My Kitchen Year / Ruth Reichl).

Mon - Quick & dirty (& tasty) Tomato Rice with breaded fish bites, papad, and yogurt for mom (who doesn’t eat fish).

Tues - Egg curry based on a recipe from prior COTM Maunika Gowardhan month. Easy and tasty - recommend. Leftovers for mom: spinach artichoke pasta and vegetable soup.

Wed - Korean: new family favorite of Japchae with Gochujang chicken for some of us and a small protein shake to supplement for mom.

Thurs (tomorrow) - Biryani courtesy mom-made meat korma base in the freezer. I’ll make the rice and onions and finish it.

Weekend:

• Spanish still on my mind, let’s see if I get to it now or when I come back
  • Mexican: Enchilada stacks or quesadillas to use up frozen corn tortillas, ditto now vs later
  • Potato-coated baby lamb chops
  • Takeout options: Butter chicken / Tandoori chicken, Indian chinese, Frankies (aka Kathi rolls aka deliciously spiced and saucy wraps)

Back home in NYC for a few days (likely lots of eating out / takeout to catch up with friends, but there will be a few comfort favorites at home):

Wish you all a lovely weekend!

14 Likes

Ooh, fancy with all the daily links!

3 Likes

= too much time on hands and / or spent here probably :flushed:

2 Likes

Thanks! I assume you mean Harry Potter - it’s showing as over 3 hours, so I hope they did shorten it. We both read the script/book but I’m excited to see how they stage it. DH and I saw Wicked when it toured in Philly and I remember getting up at intermission with tears in my eyes… hopefully I won’t embarrass DS too much this time.

And I think we have plans mostly sorted out but I’ll ping you if needed!

3 Likes

It’s a really nice dish. I serve a salad with some sort of vinaigrette alongside to play off the richness of the cheese.

2 Likes

Greetings, People.

Looking forward to this week’s menu. It includes lots of fresh, garden veg while putting a big dent in the bits-and-bobs department of our dwindling freezer supplies. I’ll be trying a few new recipes which keeps things interesting. Assuming we have sufficient asparagus, DH is cooking his annual spring tempura feast- an added bonus.

Feeding two adults in the PNW:

FRI: A new-to-me recipe from Recipe Tin Eats for sticky chicken wings in the oven. Also ground pork and asparagus stir-fry. Rice. Chili crisp.

SAT: Pasta salad with spinach, bacon, mushrooms, walnuts and leftover grilled chicken breast.

SUN: Pan roasted chicken thighs. Topical sides of creamed spinach and potato gratin.

MON: Korean rice bowl with asparagus.

TUE: Leftover 15 Bean Soup from the freezer with either Scottish Bannock or Irish soda bread. If you’ve a tried-and-true recipe for Bannock, I’m all ears.

WED: Fridge and freezer sweep: cheesy grits with homemade kielbasa, scallions and a fried egg.

THUR: Shrimp and veggie tempura. Rice.

16 Likes

Yes Harry Potter. We saw it soon after it opened, and it was two nights, 4h each! Sounds impossible, but somehow it was awesome. I think the truncated version started post-pandemic iirc.

1 Like

Yum - jealous! Week sounds delicious.

4 Likes

Hello to everyone from the Twin Cities of MN where it’s Skating Show Week! and yesterday it was 38F and thunder storming. The sump pumps are running every 15 minutes and I’m chaperoning 26 6-8 year olds with knives on their feet. My littles are manageable; the teens/tweens next to us are, um, challenging to be polite. We are eating at random times and dinners in phases and I love Skating Show Week and I’m so ready for it to be done! Actuals and “plans” for 2 adults and 2 skating girls who are working really hard and getting the tricks right!

Sun 16: Lazy dinner: baked fish (costco), coleslaw, tots, assorted crudités

Mon 17: The 4 hour skating event! Soup from freezer for big kiddo, mr Autumm made blue box for little one. I made bento box “lunchables” for them to nibble on between skates. Big kiddo crashed hard- concussion screening time. . . she’s fine but yikes

Tues 18: 1st half dress rehearsal. Little kiddo didn’t need to be there. Mr Autumm made quesadillas. I helped make lollipop decorations out of pool noodles and duct tape and hot glue gun- my evening off from chaperoning

Weds 19: 2nd half dress rehearsal. Total communication break down as Mr Autumm was going to cook but I was so busy I didn’t tell him what to cook. Leftover mac and cheese before rehearsal, after: Scrambled eggs, english muffins, avocado, fruit

Thurs 20: First performance (extra stressful as there was a kidnapping risk for one of our group- who doesn’t love a good custody dispute?): Eating in shifts- girls had frozen burritos before, leftover pizza after. Scrounge for adults

Fri 21: 2nd performance: also a no school day. Hoping to get “something” in the crockpot waiting for us after. White chicken chili is in the freezer.

Sat 22: Last show! Also an afternoon show. In-laws want to go out to dinner after- not sure if we will have the behavioral energy for that but there is no way I’m hosting guests. Out vs takeout.

Sun 23: Not sure what the menu will be but I feel the need for a proper dinner with actual vegetables. There are green beans in the fridge

Mon 24: Both kiddos skating lessons. 3 weeks till our home competition! Food, warm.

I know this wasn’t the most inspiring week but I still needed to post. for me. Also, to share an ear worm. The songs “I want Candy” and “Sweet escape” among others. sorry. . .

15 Likes

I am now gearing up to spend a blustery afternoon on the picket line. I will be bringing a warm thermos of tea with me and yesterday treats were provided. Our union was not able to reach an agreement with our employer so I am evidently on strike. We are now on day three. I missed day one since I was at home sick. My illness involved making a trip to emergency on Tuesday night and although I am okay now it was a 13 hour wait to see a doctor. (I got to the hospital at 4:00 pm on Tuesday afternoon and saw a doctor at 5:00 am on Wednesday morning.) Since I didn’t have dinner on Tuesday night my meals got shifted then rearranged for the remainder of the week. Actuals for Wednesday and Thursday then planned for tonight through next Thursday are as follows:

Wednesday: First day of strike was spent trying to sleep but I couldn’t. Dinner was linguine with zucchini and mint. No side salad since I was too tired to cook. Off to bed early and with a full tummy. What a nice feeling.

Thursday: Day 2 of strike. I saw two people video taping us while driving and was glad I wasn’t on the road that day. Dinner was pork lo mein.

Today: I went picketing in the morning yesterday and since they are predicting cooler temperatures for today I decided to do picket duty this afternoon when it is hopefully less cold than this morning. Dinner will be chicken curry maybe with an extra hot pepper tossed in to warm me up. Rice on the side.

Saturday: No take out this week until the strike is over and my pay has resumed. Good thing I have a well stocked fridge/freezer/pantry. No picket duty over the weekend because Saturdays and Sundays are rest days. Tonight I will make Swiss steak which is another one of the recipes my mom passed down to me. I think the steak is braised with vegetables. I am still digging around for the recipe so if I can’t find it plans might change.

Sunday: Basa fillet and rice. I will probably make it en papillote with the snow peas and cherry tomatoes I still have in the fridge.

Monday: Mushroom risotto.

Tuesday: Chicken cacciatore with linguine.

Wednesday: Beef and mushroom stew from epicurious. I will sauté some beef stirfry strips, mushrooms and a shallot, add a little smoked paprika and beef stock then serve over pasta. Probably egg noodles.

Thursday: Linguine al pesto, salad.
I hope the warm weather returns and my strike pay comes soon. Have a nice week everyone!

14 Likes

Just a note of solidarity from the eastern side of the Atlantic.

My union, Unison, is a rarity in that it confers free lifetime membership on retirees, meaning we still have access to a number of its ancilliary services. And the retired members group is very active in contributing to the debate within the union about maintaining and improving pensions.

6 Likes

I do not, but can I share my favorite soda bread ever? I skip the rosemary and pepper and add liquor-soaked raisins.

5 Likes

Thanks for that! I had my eye on an ATK recipe a friend recommended, but I’m open to suggestions. Will give this one a look-see. (Bonus points for liquor-soaked raisins - I have a good stash of those. :yum: )

I’m so sorry you’ve been ill. Please rest up and take care!

5 Likes

I hope whatever illness had you down has totally disappeared. Good luck with the strike.

4 Likes

It was 3.5 hours (including intermission) - very good, but very long. I can’t imagine sitting through something double that length!

4 Likes

Wow, so much going on! Kudos to you for keeping food happening!

5 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 2 in Chattanooga. Lots of changes at work have me feeling unsettled, so I may be cooking/baking more than planned this week…
Breakfast: Grain and seed muffins (Dorie Greenspan)
Saturday, April 22: Friends over for lunch. Going to make roasted tomatoes/feta, Moroccan khobz bread (a friend asked me to make some for Eid and I made extra…), grilled chicken (hope it doesn’t rain), new potatoes, bok choy, blackberry and peach cobbler. I hope their toddler will find something there he likes!
Sunday: Korean-inspired beef stew; pappardelle; salad
Monday: Ottolenghi pasta with yogurt
Tuesday: If I don’t play trivia solo (DH has faculty dinner), I’ll scrounge
Wednesday: Greek pasta with shrimp
Thursday: scrounge
Friday: More university festivities for DH; scrounge for me

I hope you hear me cheering for skating and labour victories. Have a great week, stay/get healthy, and happy cooking!

14 Likes

Where did you source the Rancho Gordo beans? I thought they weren’t available in Canada.

1 Like

Being on strike is no fun, hope that it’s over soon! Glad you are feeling better: been an eventful week for you!

4 Likes