Favorite potato recipes

If this were a poll, it would be totally unmanageable, but it might work as a thread. There are so many potato recipes, but because they all use potatoes, they are all divine. However, some rise to another level. What are your favorites? Are they Dauphinois, Robuchon, Hasselback, smashed, double fried in duck fat, baked in salted jackets, hash browns, cottage fries, steamed and served with butter and parsley, or something else?

6 Likes
  1. my grandmotherā€™s latkes. Sour cream on the side.

2. really REALLY good hashbrowns, where the potatoes have been shredded, not cubed.

3. Thick cut, but well fried french fries w/ pub cheese (aka, hot dog joint cheese fries)

4. McDonaldā€™s fries, fresh.

7 Likes

My tatses are pretty simpleā€¦ Baked (with butter, chives, sour cream), Twice Baked (with cheese, bacon, caramelized onion, peppers), Scalloped/Au Gratin, Mashed (with gravy), Hash Browns, Fries/Tots, Soups, Salads, Chips, and Gnocchi.

4 Likes

I love a potato gratin - it elevates the hard working spud. Hereā€™s an Ottolenghi version with apples, gruyere and thyme I find fabulous. You could sub caramelized onion for the apples, but donā€™t skip the brandy - it comes through.

4 Likes

Gratin.
Baked.
Greek lemon potatoes.
SE extra crispy roasted potatoes, ideally using duck or goose fat.
Tortilla EspaƱola.

5 Likes
  • My grandmotherā€™s potato and cottage cheese filled pierogi
  • My momā€™s ā€œduchessā€ potatoes (basically twice baked, but she adds Jarlsburg, garlic, black pepper, butter, and a beaten egg or two to the potatoes before they go back in the jackets)
  • Those ones where you par cook them and then smush and roast at a high temp. I love the crispy versus fluffy dynamic.
  • A really good steak fry. With malt vinegar and salt on hand so I can season each bite the way I want.
  • Red or Yukon Gold potatoes that have had the honor of roasting underneath a chicken. Perfection.
5 Likes

Ultra-Fluffy Mashed Potatoes Recipe from Serious Eats

For the fluffiest and lightest mashed potatoes, use Russets and rinse off excess potato starch before and after cooking.

by

J. Kenji LĆ³pez-Alt

Updated Sep. 16, 2022

This can be done with Yukon Golds, too. To make ahead to reheat later, add 8 oz cubed room temperature cream cheese ā€¦ sublime.

I like potatoes period, in whatever form.

5 Likes

Scalloped / Au Gratin
Olivier
Roasted lemon oregano potatoes
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Aloo Gobi
War Fries
Greek Fries
Rƶsti
Latkes
Potato dumplings
Gnocchi
Potato croquettes

3 Likes

Steamed little redskinned potatoes tossed in butter and parsley
Skillet roasted creamer potatoes olive oil, garlic and rosemary
The potatoes that cook under the rotisserie chickens we buy from street vendors in France
Most any kind of potato salad
Scalloped/au gratin
Pommes Anna
Baked in salted jackets with TPSTOB & sour cream
Love them in a Spanish tortilla
Mashed potatoes but with texture - not smooth/whipped - and with some herb and/or cheese
Potato pancakes
Chowders with potatoes are always nice

Iā€™m sure there are more.

6 Likes

Oh, I seem to have forgotten the warm German potato salad in the 1976 Joy of Cooking. Yeah, thatā€™s the stuff!

5 Likes

Lately I have been passing peeled Yukon golds through a fine mesh tamis and stirring in Mexican crema. The cream cheese sounds wonderful. I made pommes Anna the other night, and it was sublime, too.

3 Likes

I need to try war fries. Visually I mistook them for poutine at first.

1 Like

We lived in the Netherlands for a few years. I was never able to develop a liking to the fries there with all kinds of stuff on them. Iā€™ve always passed on poutine, as well. My preference is for very thin cut fries with skins on them, salt and malt vinegar. Thatā€™s the way we used to get them at the Ohio State Fair when I was a kid - a hot cone of them was something I always I anticipated.

5 Likes

I always use a potato ricer but once then tried pushing them through a mesh strainer after ricing. Very hard work and I gave up.

House of Prime Rib in SF makes the smoothest mashed potatoes Iā€™ve ever had, Iā€™ve wondered if they use a tamis.

3 Likes

Almost any potato dish will make me happy except colcannon (or anything with cooked cabbage for that matter) and no gravy for me, please. A lake of butter on mashed, chives and butter and lots of sour cream on a baker and lemon wedges for my hashed browns. I had a killer scalloped potato dish once that had swiss, bleu and cream cheeses and I wish I had gotten the recipe. Damn, it was good! Havenā€™t been able to recreate that one. The ā€˜newā€™ varieties are fun to grow.

5 Likes

I like all potato recipes. If i had to choose one . It would be creamy mashed potatoes with the butter lake .

6 Likes

The first and only time (so far) I had war fries was when I was coming down from a very fun shroom trip in Amsterdam. There was a patatje place right next door to my hotel, and it was open at 1am.

They were far more delicious than Iā€™d expected.

2 Likes

Well, that could explain thingsā€¦

1 Like

I grew up on mayo with fries, so the novelty really just was the peanut sauce and raw diced onion - which I also happen to love.

Still is something Iā€™d consider a drunk/after hours snack. It wouldnā€™t appeal to me as lunch or dinner.

5 Likes

Chips. Chip sized chips. Not fat chips. Not fries. Chips.

7 Likes