Weekly Menu Planning April 2023

Kimchi chorizo fried rice sounds so good!! Honestly so do the quesadillas :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hola, People.

Spring is here, bringing more and more fresh greens from the garden, along with creeping thoughts of Cinco De Mayo. I’ve never really noted that holiday in a culinary way, but am planning on doing a few dishes this year.

Cooking for two adults in the PNW.

FRI: Scallion roast chicken. Leftover champ potatoes. Baby garden peas.

SAT: White pizza with asparagus, basil and olives. Green salad.

SUN: Asian green-salad with grilled beef, asparagus, and baby spinach.

MON: Quiche – I’m thinking something along the lines of Green Goddess flavors: fresh tarragon and chives. Green salad.

TUE: Pasta with mushrooms and leftover scallion chicken. Garden greens.

WED: Bibimbap with asparagus.

THUR: An early start to Cinco De Mayo. Pork butt carnitas. Red rice. Homemade refries and tortillas.

FRI: Cheesy nachos with pickled scallions and peppers. Salsa, guacamole and refries on the side. Albondigas. If that’s not enough (I think it will be) there will be leftover carnitas, tortillas and red rice. Mexican wedding cookies for sweets. Margaritas for me; Mexican Coke for him.

15 Likes

We’re still in kitchen chaos. It’s possible the fitters may finish today but I think it’s going to run into tomorrow which means another couple of days takeaway. Then we need to get everything out of the boxes and back into the kitchen. But, there should be a brief window to do a bit of cooking, before the decorator arrives (hopefully) on Tuesday, after the bank holiday.

So:-

Saturday - prawn cocktail. Roast chicken, asparagus, Jersey Royal spuds. Cheese. Berries & ice cream#

Sunday - chilli, sweet potato

Monday - lamb fillet, more Jerseys, peas (frozen), mint sauce.

12 Likes

Ooops. I meant to include a link for the albondigas.

@ChristinaM - I only keep powdered buttermilk on-hand (for baking), so have never tried substituting. The walnut oil is so good in the dressing I highly recommend keeping at least the 1 T of that.

1 Like

The May thread is ready for whenever your plan is more May than April.

1 Like

Hello to everyone from the cool rainy Twin Cities of MN where I’m glad I don’t have waterfront property as everything is very high and fast moving- and very thankful for working sump pumps. And now having working internet- it was very glitchy and comcast was saying we were fine - I could send a short email or load one HO page/hour so the tech who came out said somebody chewed through our cable line. Stupid rodents- probably the same ones who have been chewing on the end of the sump pump hose- I guess they needed more PVC in their diets? Actuals and plans for 2 adults and 2 growing girls to finish out April:

Sat 22: Take out pizza instead of going out as we were out of the afore mentioned behavioral energy after the final skating show. The emotions from the graduating seniors on their final show skates was a good reason for waterproof mascara. The in-laws came to the show (surprisingly) but did not push for a home tour. Amazingly.

Sun 23: Baked panko chicken (frozen, costco) roasted asparagus, a starchy side I can’t recall. Sliced cucumbers.

Mon 24: After skate lessons: Meatballs and sauce (Freezer) and pasta. Was going to have side salads but I like my greens to be well, green.

Tues 25: Leftover takeout pizza and side salads, assorted crudités (also clear out the produce drawer of things which were beginning to ferment in not a a good way)

Weds 26: Mr Autumm had a dinner meeting. Was going to take the girls out but they were tired/grumpy so freezer pot pie for big kid, blue box for little kid. Mr Autumm was supposed to bring me home dinner. He did not. Much grumpiness. Told Mr Autumm he was in charge of Thursday dinner.

Thurs 27: Middle school open house! Plans were to go out after but big kiddo was in meltdown mode. So we get home and the girls are streaming after they get ready (rooms tidy, clothing/jammies picked out etc) and Mr Autumm sits down on the couch with a book. And read for an hour before asking about dinner. I told him dinner was his problem and I was leaving and not available for help. The dirty pot is sitting in the sink right now. I know he works full time and I’m a SAHM but I’m not a servant. I’m hoping to get back in the workforce but I don’t think things around the house will change. (sorry for venting, I’ve cried a lot the past days)

Fri 28: Both kiddos skate. Hoping for some serious networking double check on volunteer needs for the up coming competition. Spinach salads with warm bacon dressing ala Alton brown. Hoping to do the HB eggs during the day but need to get new license plate tabs during the day as well.

Sat 29: Zucchini fritters ala SV, grilled/broiled pork chops depending on weather. Another veg TBD

Sun 30: I don’t even know.

I apologize for getting off track on topics. We are having a few stressful weeks and it’s getting to us. So appreciate this community for your support.

18 Likes

So sorry, Autumm! We’d be lost without internet here. My husband’s job ended Nov. 2020, when he was 65. He decided he’s retired. Guess how many dinners he’s made since then? The answer is 11. I’m on strike! I hope the stress gets better for you very soon!

6 Likes

You are not alone! I sent you a private message, but I can’t tell if it went through because I’m not sure they appear at all unless the person replies. :woman_shrugging:t2:

3 Likes

Wow @Autumm2 that is just a A LOT on all fronts of meltdowns and build-ups. Hang in there. (And vent away!)

I hope you can squeeze little windows for yourself here and there, for self-care, even if it’s as basic as a peaceful shower or watching a favorite show. (During the pandemic, mine was often a solo walk at sunset, which felt to me like feeding my soul while evaporating some of the stresses that weren’t changing anytime soon.)

9 Likes

Hang in there, Autumm, and vent away! I’ve been there, for sure. The skating plus home renovations plus home renovation setbacks–it’s a lot! But you still made me chuckle with your comment about critters needing more PVC in their diet.

5 Likes

Hi, all! Cooking for 2 in Chattanooga, half in April, half in May…
Breakfast: Cranberry breakfast cake: not very seasonal, but I have a bunch of cranberries rattling around the freezer…
Saturday, April 29: I’ll have DH put a skirt steak on the grill and we’ll have a Thai-inspired steak salad
Sunday: Shrimp and grits brunch after the choir does an extravaganza in the morning. Will try to also do green beans and strawberry cake. I have a gallon bucket of farmers’ market strawberries, so I need to get to work on them!
Monday: Pepper and mushroom sandwiches from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, probably adding goat cheese; maybe asparagus on the side
Tuesday: Pizza/trivia
Wednesday: The vegan shepherd’s pie I meant to make a couple of weeks ago
Thursday/Friday: Scrounge. DH has graduation Friday evening.
Here’s hoping for lovely spring weather, cooperative family members, and delicious meals! Happy cooking!

13 Likes

I am still fully onboard with Autumm’s original behavioral energy comment. I’ve used it several times at home and we all really appreciate/identify with it, and then we have a chance to laugh together about it, sometimes (not always!), which sets up a different mood.

5 Likes

Ohhh, Monday’s sandwiches sound so good!

3 Likes

Sending hugs.

2 Likes

First and foremost Thank You to everyone for your support! Mr Autumm accepted a new job offer (hooray! no more Texas insurance trying to find providers in MN!) so he is under pressure with that transition- and me working to realize we have different approaches to things: I’m a planner (see meal planning!) and anticipate problems where he is much better suited to reacting to problems. For him, nothing’s wrong until it bothers him. We have been together for over 25 years and still learning about each other.

A positive: his new company has a “mental health benefit” where you can be reimbursed for things which will improve your mental health up to a certain amount. An example was a wife was given a massage session. Happy Wife happy Life. I’m thinking espresso machine. I have just the space for it. Coffee fairy needs good tools. . .

Updated actuals and plans for 2 adults and 2 growing girls in the persistently cool Twin Cities of MN:

Fri 28: Both kiddos skated back to back. A friend’s from Mr Autumm’s college days kid’s has joined our rink so wonderful to walk laps (walking track around the rink) and catch up with a friend we lost touch with over the pandemic Baked fish (Costco) tots, assorted crudités.

Sat 29: Big kiddo would really like to watch the skate show at her alternate rink- I’m kinda hoping not. . . grilled vs broiled pork chops, zucchini fritters, salad. If we do go, menu will change

Sun 30: Figure skating club annual banquet where “dinner” is provided. Big kiddo and I are going, Mr Autumm and little one are on their own- as I know neither of them could handle sitting through things. Here’s to hoping I don’t make the board!

Mon 1: That’s next month! both kiddos skate- shrimp tacos?

Thank you to everyone for your kind words and positive energy!

17 Likes

yay on the espresso machine! Coffee fairies need to be happy! And in your new kitchen…very nice upgrade.

3 Likes

Highly recommend the Breville Bambino+! (Yes the self-cleaning wand and temperature sensor are worth the extra $$ compared to the basic Bambino. Plus, 2-year v. 1 year warranty.)

2 Likes

Yippee on Mr. Autumns new job! Happy husband happy life so says DH! I hope a new coffee maker is on your counter soon.

5 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation! I have been eyeing the Barista Express but good to know I could save some cash for other purposes (see also, massage)

2 Likes