Weekly Menu Planning May 2023

Let’s use this thread to share concise weekly dinner menus for each week in May. It’s helpful if you can include your location and how many people you are feeding. Links to recipes are always appreciated, and sources help. We all know plans can change, so it’s fine (practically expected) when your week gets rearranged from your posted plan. You may choose to report actuals for the prior week to share ideas with others.

May celebrations are either a good excuse to expand the cooking repertoire or eat out somewhere fun. Cinco de Mayo, Mothers Day, graduation parties and bridal showers all will mean extra time with family and friends. First rhubarb-harvest of the season is an unpredictable date but a celebration day in our house. And after solemn remembrances on the final Monday (Memorial Day), most in the USA will be thinking “ahhh – Summer at last!!!”Are you hosting any celebration meals? What’s on the menu?

The April discussion is still available for reporting the last week and follow-ups.

Reminder – Keep your comments menu / food related. And in the interest of faster viewing times, please use the knife&fork under a comment to indicate you liked it or want to echo what was said by another, rather than posting a separate comment.

4 Likes

Cooking for 1 at the Jersey Shore

Thursday: frozen pizza from the grocery store. I don’t feel like cooking.
Friday: Herb garden lasagna http://www.bonappetempt.com/2011/05/herb-garden-lasagna.html
Saturday: lasagna leftovers
Sunday: crispy oven pulled pork (COTM) with cole slaw on a bun
Monday: pulled pork leftovers
Tuesday: grilled lemon-rosemary hanger steak, mashed potatoes, roasted carrots
Wednesday: Russian BLT (COTM)
Thursday: Tuesday leftovers

13 Likes

Semester goes through the end of May. Almost there!

For two adults in San Diego:

This week’s breakfasts: Haven’t made these in too long, and I need cake. https://smittenkitchen.com/2022/05/double-chocolate-chip-muffins/

S:(tonight) takeout - Din Tai Fung - XLB and spicy wontons

Su: Roasted veggies and herbed ricotta on toasted sourdough. Inspired by https://smittenkitchen.com/2022/06/summer-ricotta-with-grilled-vegetables/, but using purchased whole milk ricotta instead of making homemade - vegetarian

M: Tuna melts, apple slices on the side - seafood

T: Roasted chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, asparagus

W: Spicy chicken sausage pasta (light cream sauce, tomatoes, spinach)

Th: Braised beef and onions from the freezer with teriyaki added, with carrots/asparagus and yellow rice

F: Chicken enchiladas

Have a good week!

14 Likes

I am now on day 12 of a strike. We still don’t know when our regular pay ends and when our strike pay starts. And our union hasn’t been giving us any status updates on how the negotiations are going so I have to watch the news at 6:00 to hear how things are going. This week I will focus on making a few favourite dishes to distract myself. Dinner for one in Ottawa, Canada, actuals from last Friday through plans to next Thursday.

Friday: One of the strike captains was bbq’ing hot dogs for the pickets so I had one. Dinner was black bean soup.

Saturday: Beef and mushroom stew, egg noodles on the side.

Sunday (tonight): Basa fillet with chili mushroom sauce, rice on the side.

Monday: Peanut butter noodles with cucumber.

Tuesday: Chicken Thai green curry, rice on the side.

Wednesday: Better Than Take Out Stir-fried Udon.

Thursday: Film society screening so I will have a cheap dinner before the movie.

Have a nice week everyone.

16 Likes

Two or more diners livin’ a good life in the NW Rockies.
Freezer and fridge purging regularly. It’s a revolving door!
Tonight will probably be organic beef (from Costco) burgers on
ciabatta and maybe homemade coleslaw. Have to eat early
because CTM comes on at 7pm our time.
Baked Potatoes and green salad for Monday. Chives are coming
up wonderfully.
Grilled Salmon with sorrel sauce, Near Eastern rice mix and
probably asparagus from the freezer.
Something Star Wars themed for Thursday (May the fourth be…) I
gotta think on that one. Suggestions?
:hot_pepper:I will be starting the meat for the Cinco de Mayo feast on Friday,
today for beef enchiladas or beef birra style tacos :taco: or maybe
both! Jicama slaw and :crocodile::pear:cream pie for that meal
(friends and family will be visiting).:mexico:
Mother’s Day is on the kids this year and the Memorial Day BBQ :hotdog:is way off for me to plan for that yet.

14 Likes

Hi, everyone. Not feeling very cooking-inspired for the week so here goes. Mon and Tues are likely to be busy at work, hence the easier meals those days.

Sun: cumin-y chicken and rice with peppers and peas (Dinner in One) and snow peas with pecorino and walnuts (SK Keepers). I’m fairly sure these flavors won’t work together but oh well. I have a pot of improvisational soup (butternut squash and sweet potato) simmering too for lunches.

Mon: ravioli (them) or GF tortellini (me) with red sauce. Salads.

Tues: chili cheese fries from Food Network magazine

Weds: stir fry - chicken, broccoli (which got autocorrected to ‘toxicology’???), carrots, rice.

Thurs: takeout pizza (them) / out with a friend (me)

Fri: carnitas from Costco - I went after work last week and went a little bonkers. Also got some GF flour-like tortillas to try. Refried black beans too.

Sat: hopefully out with friends if sports schedules allow

12 Likes

Here is a recipe for pog soup (from Mando): https://www.starwars.com/news/pog-soup-recipe

Galaxy’s Edge serves a bunch of street food: Ronto Wraps (pork sausage, cole slaw), Jakkuan Pie (basically a corn, chile, and cheese empanada).

Anything you want to eat with a SW name should work. Have fun!

4 Likes

Wow! Thank you for the idea! That sounds yummy! I was thinking about something that Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen might have cooked up in that early series :laughing:.

3 Likes

Hang in there: surprised it has been so long! Last time I was on strike it was 2.5 paycheques. I started taking note of the cheapest meal options around me!!!

6 Likes

Keep the faith.

Cooking for two for the first week in our newly refurbished (if not yet decorated) kitchen in northwest England. The original decorator, who should have been starting tomorrow has said he isn’t and is being very vague about when he might come. We start looking for a replacement after today’s holiday. Grrrrr.

Thursday - chicken & aubergine kebabs. Dipping sauce - mango chutney, soy, ginger, oil, vinegar, Tabasco

Friday - Lemon sole fillets, Jersey Royal spuds (they will feature hevaily while in season for the next few weeks), veg to be decided

Saturday - ravioli (farmers market purchase on the day), pork saltimbocca & asparagus (which will also feature heavily during our season for it), Italian or Italianesque dessert (supermarket)

Sunday - Mushroom & kimchi fried rice (to be altered if the kimchi woman isnt at the farmers market)

Monday - Lamb chops, cannelini beans, asparagus

Tuesday - Puy lentil salad. Cheese

Wednesday - out (Italian mini-chain place in the city).

14 Likes

Hope you get good new soon!

3 Likes

Wow that’s a big chunk of your income. We are back at work today so I think we may be docked only one paycheque. I’m still waiting for my strike pay…

6 Likes

Thanks Ginny! We got an email at 1:30 this morning saying our employer and our union have reached a tentative settlement so we are back at work today. The last week and a half has been very stressful.

9 Likes

Two in Western Mass with a bleak weather forecast of rain all week.
Actuals
Friday diner style cheeseburger and bagged salad
Saturday country style spareribs marinated in brown sugar at the grocery store with mashed potatoes and zucchini
Sunday finished off the burger as hamburg stroganoff over noodles. More zucchini
Monday today back to Meatless Monday with spinach ravioli and a tomato sauce with last weeks goodies from the veg drawer
Tuesday threatening DH with tacos but perhaps will make a small chili con carne over brown rice.
Wednesday leftover ravioli for DH and haddock on sale for me. leftover sides
Thursday tbd

13 Likes

Greetings, People.

May is one of our busiest months in the garden. Early summer’s greens have all been planted, fruit and berry pollination is in full swing, and we’re working on seedlings for the late summer crops: beans, corn, squash and tomatoes. Everything is in a rajasic state of rejuvenation. It’s so beautiful and promising – my favorite time of year.

Lots of leftovers this week, continuing our multi-day Cinco de Mayo feast. Therefore, feeding, as much as cooking for, two adults in the PNW:

FRI: Nachos. Albondigas. Margaritas. Mexican wedding cookies.

SAT: Shrimp and grits. Garden veg of some sort.

SUN: Leftover carnitas, Tex Mex, etc.

MON: Bon Appetite’s pork and asparagus stir-fry.

TUE: More leftover carnitas, Tex Mex, etc.

WED: Beef on the grill. Food and Wine’s herb and shallot potato gratin.

THUR: Recipe Tin Eats’ gozleme with lamb and fresh spinach.

18 Likes

Those gozleme look mighty tasty!

4 Likes

Indeed they do. Reminds me, it’s weeks since I’ve been to the market in the north of the metro area where there’s a stall that does gozleme

1 Like

I’ve made this recipe once before. Tasty, albeit on the heavy side - a little goes a long way.

4 Likes

I was just wondering about that. Looks like a lot more than four servings. I’d think half of one with some salad would be PLENTY for me, maybe only a third. But very tempting, other than the fact I lack a stand mixer.

1 Like

In my notes, I have this at 8 servings (not the 4 she shows). I see I divided the dough into 4 pieces, and each piece made enough for 2 persons.

4 Likes