We love Cheese!

Mine is also raw. I thought they were all raw?

I also thought its ok. They said the won some world cheese award. I think I am not appreciative of the cheese like the judges.

Finally a decent Munster! All nice! The goat’s ash rind and Le Bienheureux I have had before and is always good.

It’s ripe and collapsing fast I had to put it in a dish.

So creamy and mild. Maybe I get 2 wheels next time for a fondue.

Visited Paris Fermier in March
 I bought a lot of cheese in that event. (lost my mind.)

Best tome ever. Flavour was subtle, but lasting.

The ComtĂ© stall, they considered the 34 months as “reserved”, to me they were still young. I bought a piece, was good.

The smelly cheese stand. They were selling maroilles and a even stronger Vieux Lille. Strong character but good.

At one point, I was thinking of sending over in a parcel by post, but was warned that it would ended up as a suspected mail with the stinky smell.

The goat cheese stall.

More goat cheeses

Charcoal goat cheese

The old goat cheese, the tome of Savoie in the middle, morbier cheese with the blue line

The old smoked goat cheese, you can see it was very dried, reduced to flakes when cut, but it processed a spicy taste smoke flavour.

Orsalt Iraty - about 8 month old, made from milk from cows that was staying on the mountain last summer. Taste even better than older more than 1 year old version. I guess they really had a good life in the mountain.

2 Likes

Another day

Brie de Meaux, Chaource and Bresse Bleu - I prefer roquefort, or gorgonzola than this industrial blue cheese. I read the story that the Italian working in France during and after the world war were nostalgic about their own blue gorgonzola, in the 50’s they started to make their own version. For me the cheese was a bit bland. I didn’t eat it but used it for cooking.

Chaource was creamy and soft.

Coulommier by E.Graindorge
It is the same family of the Brie family and is fabricated in the region Parisian (not in Normandy as many people including the French though). I have heard in news that they would like to change the name to Brie de Coulommier to keep the AOP.

Brie de Meaux - so good

1 Like

I lost my mind looking at the cheeses on display!

I’m particularly fond of goat’s/ewe’s/sheep’s milk cheese, ash coated and bloomy rind!

This one intrigues me:

I eat Chaource and Brie de Meaux quite regularly. And yes I’ve stopped buying those “blue cheese” after a couple of times.

Got 6 cheeses today but only 3 are new to me.

1 Like

I have sort of a peculiar question for you, and other cheese eaters in Europe. In the last couple years, I have seen an increasing number of European cheese being made with microbial rennet. However, most of those are mass produced cheeses. Still, before that, besides some English cheeses, all other European cheeses I saw were always made with animal rennet. (Thistle rennet cheese from Portugal/Spain being the exception.) I’m curious – if you pay attention to such a thing – have the makers of any of these wonderful cheeses you post about switched to microbial rennet?

Oh, don’t let the people of Coulommiers hear you say that they are in the region parisien! It is the Region d’Ile de France, but don’t call it Paris!

Coulommiers is a lovely small town in the department Seine-et-Marne, and about an hour and a half by car from the capital. They are fiercely proud of their cheese. There’s a cheese and wine festival there every autumn that’s well worth a trip if you’re able to visit.

And Meaux? The capital of the Seine-et-Marne! A small city of 50 000 about 50km to the east of Paris. The old city walls were built by the Romans, and The old Cathedral there is with a visit, as is the fabulous Musee de la Grand Guerre, a WWI museum built to house one man’s extraordinary collection. (@Harters, it’s the one I’ve told you about in other conversations) meaux is also the home of Pommery Moutarde de Meaux.

I used to live in the department, and worked in both cities regularly
they also both have stellar marches.

In France, the 3 categories of cheese AOP, IGP and Label Rouge are all made from animal rennet. Especially the small producers (with the labels mentioned) are very strong defender of traditional method of fabrication of cheese. I don’t see that things will change in the coming future.

But not all cheese I posted are from label producers. I didn’t do a thorough check, I’m sure some cheese vegetarian can eat without problem.

This list can be of help:

1 Like

Seine-et-Marne is situated in Ile de France which is always named as Parisian region (rf. wikipedia), the newspaper Le Parisien includes Seine-et-Marne edition. On the other hand, I can relate most people do not want to associate with the capital (including my husband origin from Bordeaux), in fact hating Paris is a national sport in France (except Paris).

I read about the lovely wine and cheese festival in Coulommiers the other day, you are right, I should attend one day, it’s not far!

1 Like

naf, your knowledge of food is overwhelming
I am not much of a cheese eater, always have reggiano bec my son cannot be without it, havarti, used to carry brie to make puff pastry covered brie with honey and almonds, as well as a good quality blue cheese for dips, and to add to mussels that are steamed in white wine and at the last minute , before serving, spinach and blue cheese ( learned this from BOBBY FLAY’S THROWDOWN. The latter recipe is fantastic if y ou like cheese, wine and blue cheese.( My son hates it) so, I do not store blue cheese anymore

Nowadays, he brings home from Amsterdam, (where his business is located) chunks of OLD AMSTERDAM . That is something we always have, he cannot survive without that and Reggiano as he use it as an appetizer with crackers, wine etc when his friends hung around.

@Presunto is the cheese expert here, since your son is going often to Amsterdam, maybe she can give advice which cheese to buy as she lives in NL.

As for Parmesan, we have always in the fridge. Cannot resist the really good 30 month old ones.

1 Like

Haha
 thanks, but I am no expert. I don’t even know if the use of vegetable rennet is prevalent here. Have to ask the cheese sellers.

As for buying cheese in NL, I buy mine mostly from cheese stalls at the market. They have a lot more interesting cheeses than supermarkets. The latter has mostly industrial stuff so I don’t buy my cheese there all that often.

The wedge in the middle

Supposed to be the “little breast”. It’s quite large. A young and creamy cheese from Galicia.

When you visit you’ll understand how Not Paris it is.

All WONderful! So happy with my cheeses this weekend :joy::cheese::cheese::cheese:

The Gallician “breast”. It oozes quickly but it already feels soft to the touch even before cutting it open.

1 Like

Imported Italian cheeses from a new farmers’ market I happened upon. The mozzarella is incredible.

3 Likes

Oh NO!

do not know my son’s taste when it comes to cheese
When I cook with gruyere or havarti he will not eat it.
i only know he loves Old Amsterdam. RP, and another cheese that has balsamic vinegar in it.
By the way, made Spanish torta with caramelized onions and pepper, yukon gold potatoes cooked in olive oil till tender, mushroom sauteed in butter and olive oil as well as havarti cheese. It was great. Too tired to take pictures.
There was a discussion which is the best pan for making omelette. Then, I remember my All Clad D5 omelette pan, so I made torta. It is a great pan, handle stays cool and eggs do not stick, just slide off.

Not a new one, but my WFs has been out of Cowgirl Creamery cheese for weeks. Today they were stocked so I grabbed a whole wheel of Mt Tam.

3 Likes

Ultra rich and creamy! Hope the cheesemonger could get his hands on the goat’s milk version someday.

Needs a spoon

1 Like