Viaggio - Wayne, NJ

(Eli Paryzer) #1

We had another excellent dinner at Viaggio Sunday night. We started off with a special salad of fried cardoon with alfalfa crest, roasted garlic in a Calabrian chili vinaigrette. This was the 1st time I had Cardoon, and it was very good. It was braised for several days in garlic, chili, and other ingredients. It’s normally very bitter, but the vinaigrette was a perfect compliment to it.
We also shared our usual appetizer
of the excellent fried calamari with lemon butter, shallot, & chili.
For entrees I had the excellent & decadent orecchiette with foie gras butter & chives. It also had little chunks of foie gras in it. RGR, the foie gras queen, might even approve😉
Mrs. P had her usual Branzino al cartaccio with fregula, tomato, olive, & fried capers.

(Junior) #2

I’m a bit confused by that picture of the bronzino, is it served in a bag? I’m a fan of bronzino but I have never seen a presentation of it like that, what is it being served on?

(Eli Paryzer) #3

Yes, that is the cartoccio part (which means served in a bag). It keeps it nice & moist. They present it in the open bag, but then my wife removes the bag & puts it on the plate.

(Junior) #4

Interesting, I’ve only had grouper prepared in a bag, never seen bronzino prepared that way. Thanks for the clarification.

(Eli Paryzer) #5

You’re welcome, Junior.

Ha! I was going to say that grouper in a bag is very common in Florida…

Wow…greats pics! Were those peppers on the squid pickled and were they hot? Looks like a fine dish!

I’ve never had fish in a bag. I might have to try it. I’ve had some good chickens though.

(Eli Paryzer) #8

Thanks Johnny! Yes, the chili was pickled, but not that spicy. That calamari dish is one of my favorite appetizers.

Ths fish in the bag is good if you like a moist fish, plus they cook it together with the olives, fried capers, and fregula, so you get that nice Mediterranean flavor. The only setback is that the skin will not be crispy. It is still very flavorful though.