Veg Barbecue is a thing?

What are your thoughts on Veg Barbecue ?

Those are grilled vegetables, and there’s nothing not to like about that. I don’t think it fits the (stricter) definition of barbecue, which usually refers to slow-cooked meat with some kind of flavoring agent, wet or dry. I’m not sure a vegetable could withstand the barbecuing process, at least not in a form anyone would want to eat.

7 Likes

I grilled beautiful spring onions last night . With olive oil and a tiny bit of salt .

4 Likes

Grilled mushrooms are my favorite grilled vegetable. I bet spring onions work pretty damn well, also.

3 Likes

I’m with small_h. Grilling is a wonderful thing, and I love grilled veggies (and that recipe looks good).

But grill and barbecue are not the same thing, and those veggies are absolutely not barbecued.

3 Likes

We’ve been grilling veg for some 30 years.

5 Likes

Grilled green onion, halved red onions, green beans, padrone peppers, red peppers, zucchini slices, eggplant are all favorites and easy ways to encourage non-veg people to enjoy them.

4 Likes

One more fan of grilled veg objecting to call it barbecue. @bbqboy?

3 Likes

Barbeque is an often misused, misunderstood word. Seldom used correctly.

6 Likes

I’m more distressed by the term veg.
This is an affront as serious as sammich!
:slight_smile:

7 Likes

Could be worse. Could be “veggie.”

4 Likes

Grilled onions are one of my favorites. There’s a variety called the Red Long Onion of Tropea that we get from our summer CSA share. I look forward to those every year.

ETA: The vegetables that @pilgrim mentions upthread are on my greatest hits list too.

4 Likes

My deepest and most abject apologies. It will happen again. Yep. It will.

See from 1:05 here:

Note the proper term “vegetable” is used. Sorry my friend - too much exposure to bad elements.

2 Likes

Would a roasted garlic bulb count? Can usually roast them for up to an hour.

Same with caramelized onions. Would that count?

Both are botanically considered vegetables.

2 Likes

Can you call roast beef or roast chicken a barbecued meat? If so, I guess garlic and onion would qualify. (I don’t think they do.)

No. And no. Not barbecued.

Oh dear. You are now on the “do not enter” list for a number of states that embrace barbecue. I’m not even an aficionado and I know that.

3 Likes

For asking a question?

1 Like

It was an attempt at a joke. For barbecue, as opposed to grilling many Americans call barbecue, vegetables don’t work.

1 Like

So…exactly what I said in my first post.

3 Likes

Not my thing, but pulled pork-style jackfruit seems to be a vehicle for bbq sauce, and popular with vegans in Canada.

2 Likes