Variations on the Crisp Sandwich?

In American English, yes, absolutely. If you see salsa on the menu in any general audience American restaurant you can expect it to be a chunky dip, red or green. But in American Spanish the various (smooth) cooking sauces are usually called salsas caseras and there are a bunch of different ones, Mexican but also Puerto Rican and other Carribbean, Central and South American, etc.

I didn’t even realize there was such a thing as an Italian salsa verde until I was grown up and living on the East Coast.

4 Likes

I suppose this is the Anglophone appropriation of a word which, in its original, simply means sauce, as you indicate. In English English, salsa would imply something chunky in which to dip stuff.

3 Likes

Unless it’s a salsa crisp sandwich . . .

Which would certainly be possible in the UK. There are four salsa flavoured crisps on this gobsmackingly long list of flavours available in the UK (although I think they are all actually tortilla chips, not potato crisps):

1 Like

Oh yeah there’s at least as many variations as that. I also remember the canned shoestring potatoes. You can get bread in a can too . . .

1 Like

Lately I’m putting my ritz between two saltines. The old saltitz. :merman:

2 Likes

So even though tortillas are almost nonexistent in merrie olde, Doritos, which are tortilla chips, are a major brand?
My gosh, the world is a mysterious place…
:smiley:

I reckon it’s the fact that we inhabit a small, cold island off the coast of Europe that makes us suck in all sorts of foodstuffs from around the world. And customs too - the American Halloween is fast replacing our own Bonfire Night (5 Nov). That’s been around since 1605, with its own related foods - but I give it only another generation till its forgotten.

Hopefully you aren’t inundated with the candy dreck we always ended up giving to little sisters and brothers. ( see candy thread)
:smiley:

@bbqboy , @gaffk we have been here before :fries:

17 hits and counting for Chip Butty on HO

3 Likes

But it took 4 years to complete that circle.

@Phoenikia is referencing this thread TACO BELL was great pre-90's formerly on ChowHound - #286 by BoneAppetite for those who are wondering how this came back to life.

2 Likes

Haha. Bumpity bump bump.

This Belgian frites sandwich is new to me.

1 Like

Americans everywhere should be offended by the name of this abomination.

2 Likes

New to me as well. And we’ve often travelled to Flanders and the Nord department of France.

1 Like