TACO BELL was great pre-90's formerly on ChowHound

There are a couple of places up here that offer a “California Burrito” which has french fries in it… not a fan. And as someone who has grown up and lived in California for decades, I have no idea where they got this from.

With that said, a breakfast burrito with hash browns, scrambled eggs, sausage or bacon, salsa, and crema or guac is to die for.

3 Likes

I hate it when they put fries in my gyros pita.

Definite breakfast treat (but hold the guac . . . yes, I know, that’s sacrilege).

1 Like

Wow, never experienced such a thing :exploding_head:

Do I smell a new thread? Fries on a sandwich?

3 Likes

Just read the other day about a Chip Butty, a British fried potato sandwich. I would give that a shot some day.

Have seen Chow Mein sandwiches at a Taiwan street food stall. Never tempted to try, most likely never will.

2 Likes

Chip butties were a working class/Depression staple in the UK. That said, we long ago came across a potato salad sandwich that had us going back for more.

2 Likes

Might just have to grab one later. Quite common in many working class Taiwanese bakeries.

1 Like

I want to savor my fries separately, thank you very much…

4 Likes
1 Like

Primanti’s also puts fries on their salad!

1 Like

They put fries on their fries.

4 Likes

Think of it as San Diego’s version of a Mission Burrito

That said, it annoys me that it’s called a California Burrito, since it’s not actually a statewide thing.

2 Likes

I remember when Taco Bell first opened in St Petersburg. My Dad who had live a good part of his youth in Mexico City was thrilled that a fast food Mexican franchise had opened. We would drive from Clearwater to St Pete to feast on those hard shelled tacos. It was the only Mexican game in town

Fast forward to today, authentic Mexican food can be found easily. Taco Bell is just a memory as well my Dad. He would love what’s available now even in Tampa Bay

3 Likes

Fries it various pita sandwiches is pretty common in NYC. My understanding is that its started with the Israeli street vendors here in NYC. There’s a truck by my office that stuffs the fries into falafels, gyros, shawarma. I’m not a fan of it so I ask for no fries in the pita.

I don’t know if anyone else has discovered them yet, but I have started buying the mini flour tortillas at Trader Joe’s. I then make what I call either Chinese tacos or Korean tacos.

For Chinese tacos, I basically make a moo shu style stir fry. Lots of veg, usually including red cabbage, bean sprouts, mushroom, green onions, along with anything else I need to clear out of the fridge. Protein can be pork, beef, chicken or just veg. I then make a sauce with hoisin and toasted sesame oil and thin with water. Put everything on the table and the family makes their own tacos.

Korean version is made using bulgogi style meat that I chop up and then make a quick pickle with cucumbers, usually have takuan in the house along with some chopped up kimchi and shredded lettuce. Also gone in a flash.

3 Likes

Anything in PA “Pittsburgh-style” is going to have fries on it. And grated cheese.

1 Like

I know this is probably a hot take but I think Korean tacos are worse than both Mexican tacos and Korean BBQ lettuce wraps. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I dunno, man… Koji’s short rib taco was my goto whenever they were around Burbank, and they were a true blessing when they had a spot at LAX.

What I REALLY miss is the White Rabbit truck, which had Filipino tacos. The tocino and the sisig tacos were just mindblowingly good, and my introduction to Filipino food.

4 Likes
2 Likes

This must be part of Taco Bell’s new “diet” menu

8 Likes

and on a Doritos Taco Loco, as well!

The shame of it. This is the sort of thing people post to twitter or facebook to get free food.

1 Like