Uses for a lot of canned tuna?

I agree that everyone’s mileage varies.

I haven’t found water-packed tuna to be dry. I do personally find oil-packed to have a greasy mouth feel I find offputting. I don’t think there is any difference in species between the two methods - certainly nothing on the can and from what I know of the long-line fishing industry nothing but the roughest sorting for what ends up in cans. What ends up as filets and steaks is a different matter.

Since you like fat oil-packed tuna is tantamount to a marinade and I can certainly see the attraction. It avoids the extra step of adding fat in during preparation.

We both of course need to be aware of mercury levels. sigh

Please do post the recipe. At times, we really need something like this with unexpected guests.

1 Like

For those with a few minutes giardiniera is an easy quick pickle. Cauliflower, bell peppers, pepperocini, carrots, and celery marinated in olive oil, red or white wine vinegar, herbs, and spices. A little red onion does not go amiss although not traditional.

1 Like

There’s a pretty good spicy tuna onigiri (rice ball) that I’ve had from Japanese convenient stores. I don’t have a specific recipe but these are a nice alternative to the typical sandwich for lunch. Note: this isn’t the same as the spicy tuna sushi rolls that you may see on US menus. The onigiri uses canned, cooked tuna.

1 Like

I understand the point about greasiness, but that factor diminishes if you let it sit in a strainer for 20 minutes or so, maybe with a stir.

But many tunas are labeled by variety–like Yellowfin, Bonito (the latter being a close relative to tuna)–and there’s no mistaking Yellowfin for Albacore (my least favorite). I mostly use pole-line-caught, so I guess those fishers can be more particular about harvested varieties. It hadn’t occurred to me that tuna in a can would be made from random species, but the long-line approach could certainly make it happens as you say.

And mercury: sad.

3 Likes

If the price is the same I always opt for oil, because - hey it’s free oil.

1 Like

I have no doubt that a collection of home-cured veg would be sublime!

Easy Italian-style antipasto from mid-century Winemakers’ cookbook. This used to be a cocktail party staple for us, and more recently dragged out for pre-dinner party drinks accompaniment.

Read also Auspicious’ idea of making your own ingredients.

5 Likes

Thanks!!

Recently had a classic childhood fav
Tuna and shell pasta salad.

1 Like

Here’s another oldie from the Winemakers’ Cookbook. A twist on tuna noodle casserole, this one goes Italian with tomato, wine and herbs. I have usually used bowties instead of long pasta which creates a kind of mock-ravioli dish. Always a hit at pot-lucks.

1 Like