Uses for a lot of canned tuna?

Soon when my son and some friends are back in town, I mean to do a tuna tasting. I’ve mail-ordered Callipo, As do Mar, Tonnino, Ortiz and sourced a number locally. We’re only doing tunas canned (or jarred) in olive oil.

But once I open all these cans, there’ll be more than usual extra. I can probably spend a couple of days eating Italian tuna-pasta recipes, which I love. But: other approaches?

I’ve got a lot of tuna here, folks.

1 Like

Salad Nicoise

2 Likes

Vitello tonnato, tuna salad stuffed tomatoes or deviled eggs, tuna melts, or just put chunks of it into any type of salad (would be great with roasted cherry tomatoes and white beans or chickpeas). Tuna panzanella?

5 Likes

Pan Bagnat

5 Likes

Try these

Hope this helps with variety

5 Likes

Maybe a waste of gourmet tuna, but tuna chowder? I make a quick one with cream of mushroom soup, but you could do one from scratch. Also a stew with tomatoes, onions, and jalapenos. Also Tuna Stroganoff.

2 Likes

Years ago A Ca Mia in Cape May served a tuna mousse that was super light and served with warm bread. It’s very easy to prepare with a fp. Highly recommend.

2 Likes

All retro ideas here: tuna noodle casserole, tuna sandwich with potato chips on top, tuna and crackers. We actually crave tuna noodle casserole occasionally and even fight over the leftovers. :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

I (am the only person in the world to) LOVE tuna noodle casserole. I never had it until I left home.

5 Likes

There was a recipe in a 1960s Winemakers’ Cookbook for an antipasto that was a mainstay of our parties for a number of years. Essentially, you opened a slew of jars and combined it in a punchbowl. I served it with plastic old-fashioned glasses. I can post the recipe if anyone is interested, but it involves tuna in oil, marinated artichokes, jarred giardiniera, olives, canned mushrooms, wine vinegar, maybe splat of tomato paste. It melds together into a really good dish. Nice with dry sherry.

Of course you could make all of the parts from scratch, but this really works without any work.

4 Likes
5 Likes

You could freeze leftover plain tuna if you remove most of the air from whatever bags or containers you use. Thawed, the texture will suffer but this should be okay for casserole and tuna salad sandwiches. Fatty fish WILL develop rancidity during prolonged freezing, so aim to use it within two weeks.

1 Like

I think it would work in cioppino too.

1 Like

Tuna Banh Mi. Tinned sardine Banh Mi is quite nice, tuna made in the same style probably works just as well.

4 Likes

You’ve become an honorary Midwesterner.
:slight_smile:

4 Likes

Just like I never made “hot dish” until I left North Dakota!

1 Like

Slightly veering, ( but not far) do you ever check in on the NDSU Volga German recipe database and food ways?
I get lost sometimes in there.
https://library.ndsu.edu/grhc/foods/recipe/index.html

3 Likes
2 Likes

Very interesting, thanks for posting. Who woulda thunk it - tuna noodle casserole originating in Kirkland Wa, same place as Costco!

2 Likes

Kirkland? I only see Kennewick (in SE WA) mentioned … how close do we really want this claim to fame? :joy:

1 Like