Uses for a lot of canned tuna?

Oh no oily fish in cioppino.

I like to make lemony herbs tuna pasta, especially when the fridge is empty. Something like the recipe below… I add a bit of lemon juice with fresh thyme, chive or some grated garlic. Parmesan is a must.

4 Likes

Oops lol! I’m totally fine it originated in Kennewick…makes more sense too, can imagine the grocery stores in the 1930’s in Kennewick were rather thinly provisioned at times.

1 Like

Growing up, tuna croquettes with white sauce was big. Served with mashed potatoes and peas, or Mac and cheese. Maybe I had it at Howard Johnson’s. Chicken and turkey croquettes were popular too.
Another easy fave - tuna patties/cakes. Tuna, beaten egg, crushed saltines or Ritz crackers or bread crumbs, lemon juice and herbs/seasonings of choice, or tuna/mashed potato patties.
Open-faced tuna melts served on toasted English muffins.
Tuna quesadilla melts.
Tuna tacos.

Spanish Potato Salad with Tuna & Green Beans

4 Likes

Nope, you’re not :wink: A properly made TNC is wonderful. Do not touch the canned soup.

2 Likes

How about some (BLT) Tuna Tacos…

2 Likes

Tuna gimbap / sushi rolls!

2 Likes

Tonnato sauce? On poached or leftover roast chicken, beef or pork, or tomatoes

2 Likes

Interesting link, canned tuna is something always in my cupboard. Tuna in olive oil are much more superior to tuna in brine (which are more the preference of my cat).

Another interesting recipe that I can think of is Mahgrebian tuna Brik/ brick, if you have some phyllo dough or brique sheets. Many variations on the same dish. I have never used harissa nor potatoes, they tasted great.

3 Likes

Mine too. They love tuna juice. Tuna oil, not so much.

So how did the tasting go?

1 Like

Unfortunately, the tasting didn’t take the shape I’d hoped, as my son couldn’t be there with his friends, and I didn’t want to open all the different types.

So far, I can report that a favorite supermarket-available one was Starkist Select Yellowfin in Olive Oil…

Another supermarket variety, from Whole Foods, was not so tasty: it was Pole Line Caught Albacore in Olive Oil. It was on the dry side, and it seemed as if it had a denser texture that didn’t allow the olive oil to integrate into the tuna meaningfully. I think that typical American Albacore is like the chicken breast of the tuna world, whereas Yellowfin is like the chicken thigh.

Among those I had to mail order, I recommend all of these:
Callipo
Ortiz El Velero Bonito del Norte
As do Mar

The ones I recommend would be (for my taste) very suitable for anything and will hold up well to tuna-centric things, like on crackers, bruschetta/tapas, tuna and pasta, salads, etc. I also find Genova Yellowfin in Olive Oil to be widely available and quite decent, akin to the Starkist. The mail-order ones were a cut above, though.

In case it doesn’t go without saying for some people: none of these are in the same ballpark as much more expensive Ventresca tuna, which typically costs at least 4-6 times as much as the above.

6 Likes

You could always make tuna sushi with this or even olivia salad by just adding potatoes, carrots, olives, mayo, egg, salt and pepper.

A childhood favorite that I still make for a light supper is creamed tuna on toast. Make a white sauce, add canned drained tuna, frozen peas and chopped hard-boiled eggs. Salt/pepper. Heat through and serve open faced on toasted buttered bread.

5 Likes

I just noted/followed your reply from months ago. Interesting about the NDSU site. I used to live in North Dakota about 70 miles north of that university. The German and Norwegian and otherwise north-European population was everywhere. (The native Americans–a bit more out of sight in the cities.) Canned food is big there.

Never knew about Volga Germans before!

2 Likes

Very interesting dish! (But served in plastic glasses? I suppose people used forks…)

For parties, yes, we used plastic “old fashion” glasses and forks. People loved it! More recently, I served it pre-dinner party in small glass bowls. Lovely with dry sherry!

Tuna and egg salad is a good sandwich filling, and stretches a can of ever-more-pricy tuna. Make a batch of your ordinary tuna salad and add chopped hardcooked egg plus a bit more mayo and pepper. Mine includes celery, onion, and pickle relish.

1 Like

Curious why you prefer tuna canned in oil. Clearly people have preferences, thus the availability of tuna in oil and in water. I like water. Why do you like oil?

I like fat, and doing so hasn’t made me fat, if which were so, I might reconsider. But…

I do think water-packed tuna has its place–say, in some environment like mayo-laden tuna salad or maybe a tuna melt that has mayo and cheese. But that’s seldom what I cook. I usually go more Mediterranean, like tapas or having it mixed into pasta with olives and capers.

You ask why I like oil-packed: I think it carries flavor, makes for less dryness, and I suspect that in the aggregate, oil-packed tunas are processed from tuna species more flavorful even before processing. There might be (I hope there are) exceptions.

Everyone’s mileage varies!

1 Like