Trader Joe's Yea/Nay/Meh 2017

Has anyone had the Brownie Crisp Coffee Ice Cream Sandwiches, if so do you recommend them?
TIA
EDIT: never mind, I will take one for the team

1 Like

Not life changing but very good IMO
Not too sweet but I still would have preferred just a little less. I tasted sugar not chocolate … A nice in your face hit of coffee with the first bite, texturally there is creamy, crispy, chewy going on. Something seemed to be missing though. I am going to try a few flakes of salt on the next one These are a seasonal item and will not be reordered again this year … what you see is what you get, also not available in all TJ’s.

Halen MĂ´n sea salt is back in Norcal. $3.25 for 100g.

3 Likes

MEH: Organic chocolate chip granola bars. Adding chocolate chips to a flavorless oaty bar may improve it, but it doesn’t actually make it good.

1 Like

Yea: Porto 6 Portuguese red wine. It’s one of the best in its price range, $4.99

1 Like

Is there something about it that makes it worth that price?

Depends on how you plan to eat it. I just occasionally sprinkle some of this, or fluer de sel, on my food to finish. And the halen mon tastes pretty good. So that bag, while certainly not cheap on a per unit basis, will last me a good while.

1 Like

Ah, okay–it’s a fleur de sel type deal. That makes sense then. From the picture it just looked like garden variety sea salt.

You should google them and read their story.

Looks like its selling for ÂŁ4 for the same package on their web site.

My untrained salt palate can’t quite tell if Halen Mon is the best salt in the world as they claim. But I just ate some of it, fleur de sel, and Himalayan, and I did enjoy the Halen Mon quite a bit.

They were demoing the Cauliflower Pizza Thursday at the Menlo Park store… I got very happy when I saw the box, but my joy turned to sadness very quickly when I looked at the ingredients which include both potato & corn starch. For those following a ketogenic way of eating this is not good. I think I read 17 gms of carbs per serving! Guess I’ll keep making my own cauliflower pizza crusts… So bottom line for me is NAY!

Did you see there’s a new frozen mashed cauliflower? I haven’t tried it myself (too much dairy for me) but it’s
low (er) carb at 7g/per cup

Tunisian harissa in the 190g jar is a nay for me. It’s all chunky chili skins and not very hot.

1 Like

It’s definitely meant as a gluten free not a keto option for sure. I’m probably jaded but I assume any composed multi ingredient quick frozen is not keto friendly :slight_smile:

Anyone try the feta dip? I like it, even tho it’s fairly salty… but you can taste the herbs & it’s got a little kick to it. Def a YAY.

The new onion salt is HUGE YAY!! It’s nothing like that generic grocery store salt (which i hate) and is really flavorful and not actually as salty as i expected. I snack on a lot of raw veggies and am loving a sprinkle of this over them. makes a great finishing salt for about any savory dish

3 Likes

Saw these folks at the NY fancy food show over the weekend: https://www.saharadate.com/; they get their dates straight from Saudi Arabia.

1 Like

Re frozen mashed cauli: Haven’t noticed it… For me it’s just too easy to make from scratch :slight_smile:

Ooooh! From their site looks like they’re available at whole foods? I’ll keep an eye out for them next time i go

YEAS for the box of fresh California nectarines and the new Kitchen Sink Dunkers cookies. The former are perfectly ripe, very flavorful and juicy. The cookies have great crispness and aren’t too sweet. Quality chocolate chunks are used, along with pecans, oats, brown sugar, sunflower seeds. Raisinophobes take note: they’re in there, in the small print. IMO these are their best chocolate chip cookies since the discontinued mini whole wheat ones.

1 Like