Trader Joe's Yea/Nay/Meh 2017

Same issue here. I like the flavor, but they are just too thick and hard for me. I’ll stick to Ruffles for my wavy chips.

1 Like

Those kale chips are a huge YAY for me! They have been around a good while and are significantly cheaper than kale chips from other companies. I make my own but have always had issues with getting them crisp adding anything more than basic seasonings and oil.
I love the tahini flavor on these, very easy for me to polish off the bag in 24hrs!

Yeah, those Honey Butter Potato Chips are pretty evil.

I love chips to accompany my many sandwiches, but these aren’t appropriate for that. Oh no, these are to be eaten one at the time, directly from the bag until they are all gone.

Never buying THOSE again.

1 Like

Yes.

Needs to be covered in a strong sauce, so I guess that’s a Meh.

1 Like

Just to give the granola bars some context, my 2.5 year old likes them.

1 Like

YAY to the jars of TJ’s Kimchi. I think these are new – in the refrigerated case near the sauerkraut. Nice fermented fizz (lost too much juice on the counter when I opened the jar and it fizzed up) and funk, good crunch, not very spicy but that is easy to remedy.

Ooh, thanks for posting this! Is it in the pouch and still vegetarian…?

No, @Ttrockwood, in a hard plastic jar and with fish sauce, sorry!

Are you on the East Coast? I haven’t seen these around Baltimore.

No. Northern California. I think these are items that are mostly likely supplied by a local bakery.

(((Sigh))
Thanks for the info! All indicators point towards me making my own anyhow

You know, every time I shell out $5 - $8 for a small jar I ask myself why I am not making it myself. Kimchi and sauerkraut are both made of absurdly cheap materials but are not cheap to buy.

8 posts were split to a new topic: Home Fermentation

These chips were really good. Nicely spicy. Paired with wine it was a perfect week night solo dinner. :grin:

4 Likes

Following up on other people’s recommendations

• those Chaldiki olives are great.

• thanks to whomever suggested putting The everything but the bagel spice mix on avocado toast. Delicious alternative to a bagel and cream cheese.

3 Likes

YAY to the jalapeno limeade. Just enough jalapeno for some pleasant heat, not overwhelming. Add tequila and a little triple sec and you’ve got a pretty good margarita.

Just had this yesterday. Not as much flavor as I’m used to in a margarita mix (even the jalapeño was mild) but it was pretty good compared with some that are way too sweet. My go-to has been the Bacardi frozen product for several years now.

YAY: the Masonic store (in SF) has Junipero gin at $26.99 for a 750, which is ~$6 off the standard (and $3 off the discounted) BevMo price.

Is there a Total Wine near you yet? Their price is $25.99. They’re consistently below Bevmo but, at least where I live, they will price match on up to two items.

Looked it up. Only in Fremont, Pleasant Hill, and Mountain View so far.

Oh well. Way out of my (geographic) range.