trader joe’s: yay/nay/meh 2022

Never occurred to me to try that way …

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

(picture shamelessly stolen from the internets)

Stumbed across this and accidentally picked it up, thinking it was ‘real’ ice cream. It is not. It’s an “oat-based frozen desert”, but it is, indeed, QUITE good. Because of the lower fat content, there’s a much more pronounced ‘cocoa’ flavor, with an accompanying ‘dryness’, that’s similar to the way a lower fat chocolate gelato tastes different than a higher fat chocolate ice cream. The fudge brownie pieces are sufficiently fudgy and stay chewable at freezer temps.

A rare case of the ‘alternative’ thing being at least as good, if slightly different, than the ‘real’ thing.

7 Likes

I guess this is off topic but we’re in fl, I was making butter chicken and wanted naan. the closest trader joes is over an hour away, didn’t have time to bake my own so visited the local publix and found Deep Garlic Naan which, to my eyes and taste buds, is exactly the same product as TJ’s garlic naan.

So if you’re looking for decent, easy to prepare naan, take a look in the freezer section of your grocer for Deep naan.

ps. Adding @winecountrygirl as I know she has access to publix.

3 Likes

TJ’s (and a LOT of ‘store brands’) are essentially rebranded merchandise from the same factory line as an ‘alternate’ name brand. I’m pretty convinced TJ’s Organic Mac and Cheese is exactly the same as Annie’s

4 Likes

You’d be surprised what Publix has. They have ghee and many other things you would be surprised at. But you can’t get Sacramento tomato juice!!!

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Initial thoughts on food in Palm Coast, Florida

5⭐️ Yay and huge +1 on the Pumpkin Sticky Toffee Pudding.

Easily the best new TJ’s dessert in almost a decade.

Could easily be served at fine dining restaurants to rave reviews.

Wish I had a big enough freezer to stock up on these as they’re almost sure to disappear after the holidays.

2 Likes

Hard NAY on the Broccoli Cauliflower Gratin. Soupy mess with wayyyy too much liquid. Cooking longer didn’t help.

Finally had to make some fresh croutons, toasted walnuts, and veggie sausage to mix in, which saved it, but will never get again.

1 Like

Glad to read this. I debated getting them - love sticky toffee pudding generally.

No pumpkin sticky toffee pudding in SF, Masonic today.

SSF tells me they only get 1 case of green onions per day, always sell out. I’ll call first thing in the morning to have them save me a package. Since Masonic is a big busy store, I thought they’d have plenty. Nope. They, too, only get 1 case per day. I was there before noon, too!

I’m hoping this means they’ll get a non-pumpkin version for the winter…

2 Likes

Been noticing no green onions when I’m in my South OC store, but I’m usually there past noon. FWIW I find that the organic green onions in my Albertsons or Ralph’s are larger and better quality anyway…… and run around $1.29 a bunch.

Green onions have been really expensive in markets in SF lately; I think the ones from TJ last longer.

1 Like

Not that they’re a budget killer even during these times of inflation, but saving the bulb end and plunking it into a glass of water will start your green onion growing again? And they do very nicely transferred to a small pot of soil on the windowsill as long as it doesn’t freeze.

3 Likes

Yea to TJ’s pesto chicken breast. The chicken breasts were nice and juicy and the pesto had a nice garlicky flavor. Next time I would chop up the thin breasts into small pieces and mix with with pasta for a nice chicken pesto pasta.

6 Likes

MEH to the Sesame Honey Almonds. They start out good, but finish with an unpleasant bitterness. Maybe toasting the sesame seeds would have helped.

Meh on the “kettle cooked” Thanksgiving stuffing flavor potato chips. Not nearly the taste of stuffing, and not salty enough.

What timing. Just saw an Instagram post from a TJ’s influencer with 1.8 million followers who said they’re delicious and have just the right saltiness. Only one way to settle this. Stay tuned. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes