Initial thoughts on food in Palm Coast, Florida

I don’t think we do, since I don’t even know what that is!

No problem. My thread is your thread!!! :crazy_face:

1 Like

Sorry if too late for this trip, but on St. Simon’s “Porch” is good for Nashville style spicy chicken, if you’re willing to go a bit farther for it (you can ask for less spicy if you want), and in Brunswick “Sista’s Kitchen” is also good for chicken.

1 Like

CCE
It’s never too late! included Sistah’s. Let me check on how far it is from 95 to Porch.

1 Like

If we’re talking about expanding this thread to St. Simon’s Island Georgia, a place we’ve spent considerable time, then my recommendation would be Georgia Sea Grill, only 3-4 blocks from Porch. I also like Southern Soul BBQ, about 15 minutes away on St Simon’s — a very informal place with a great array of bbq styles available and some serious smokers/pits in the back.

Ok - so now I’ve followed the link to john tanner’s blog and see that I’m not the only one recommending Southern Soul BBQ.

1 Like

Steve R – I’m eager to get to Southern Soul, and may take a vacation there just to try it – and Gary Lee’s. And Georgia Sea Grill and the Porch and …

I don’t think I’ll stretch ou the St. Simons recommendations, lest I have to let all the good places to eat in Savannah and Charleston and …

1 Like

my biggest knock on publix, as you’ve observed elsewhere is the cheese selection. Also, suprisingly, we have a really small fresh produce section, my brother’s publix has a much bigger section where he lives in fl. On the whole, we do like the store.

I end up ordering from Murray’s every one in a while. Publix vary from store to store. I have 3 near me and one has a good produce section. But, you can’t find a decent tomato anywhere, even at a road stand. Meats are very good.

yeah, my sil is in flagler and we stop at a “farmer’s market” there, not great for tomatoes. We found some decent ones at st aug market this past weekend but it’s hit or miss. honestly, NYC not much better…

That so-called farmers market is a joke. The only thing I go there for is the local honey and they don’t have that anymore. How is the St. Augustine market?

I visit FL 2 or 3 times a year for a week or so and like Publix. It seems their stores went through a jump in evolution, with those opened more than about 25 years ago one size, whereas the newer ones seem significantly larger.

Also the larger stores usually have 1 of 2 store sets so I can walk into any of the larger ones and with a quick glance know which of the 2 store sets it is, and then I’ll know where everything is. While the smaller ones seem more random in their store sets.

Anyway, I’ll drive a few extra miles farther from whatever house I’m renting to get to a larger vs. smaller one.

Agree on the cheese. Maybe if they expand up into Wisconsin they’ll learn what a real cheese aisle is like!

Agreed!

the st augustine farmer’s market is ok, there’s one saturday at the amphitheater and one wed at the pier. A lot of the usual soap/candle/art/jewelry vendors. From a a food pov, I do love the kettle korn vendor. There are two veg/fruit vendors, to my eye, one is simply purchasing from a distributor, the other seems to purchase good/eclectic vegetables from farms but is expensive. There’s a guy who makes good guac fresh at the market to take home. A bakery that has decent sweet bread and pastry.

there are usually two or three fish vendors. We bought mahi fillets a couple of times from one but later that year I was at BJs and noticed their frozen mahi fillets were the exact same shape as the fish vendors. A week ago I asked if her fish was local, she said no, it came from a distributor. I dunno, looks no better than publix or BJs. There’s a shrimp vendor who says he’s buying from the boats, his red shrimp looks like everyone elses…

A number of vendors are selling food to be consumed at the market, none of it looks great but haven’t tried much. There used to be a good perogie vendor but she disappeared.

That’s something that really disappoints me down here. In NY we had great farmers markets and farm stands with great tomatoes, garlic, etc. Nothing that compares down here. I actually had garlic shipped from a garlic farm in NY and it’s great.

2 Likes

that’s funny gwenn, I was thinking about having garlic shipped here as well! I’ll reach out to my brothers to see where they buy produce in deland, they memtoned some sort of market. if you haven’t been, deland has a great coffee shop (trilogy), cute stores, an “artisan alley” and some decent restaurants. The fruit-named streets around Stetson have clusters of beautifully renovated victorians.

Oddly, to my eye, a lot of the produce at walmart looks better than publix but I guess the bar is low. I’ve already written about our love of walmart black angus steak. I cooked up a tomahawk the other day, pictured below. Our community grill is too deep to reach high heat so I sit a charcoal chimney in their grill :slight_smile:

gwenn, did you ever make it to delicas portugese bakery for their Pastéis de Nata? They sell out early so we call the day before and reserve a couple. if you get there late in the day and they do happend to have some, unfortunately the crust loses a lot of its flakiness…We’ve also liked some of their european pastry.

I have been to the bakery - the only bakery in Palm Coast - but I have not had that. I will have to try it. I have had other pastries, but I’m not a huge fan. I found the pastries to be pasty with little taste. :slightly_frowning_face:

gwenn, generally agree with you, guessing lard is used instead of butter to save money. The pasteis is mostly custard and when fresh-baked, warm, the crust flaky, so the shortcomings less noticeable. for whatever reason, some of the european pastry as opposed to the portugese, seem better to our palates.

best,

1 Like

Yes, butter good! FWIW my house cleaner is from Portugal and she doesn’t like that bakery either. :grinning:

it seems to have a loyal following with the local portugese community. More importantly, where does she go for portugese pastry and food? :grinning:

It has a huge following. I don’t know where she goes, but maybe she just does Portuguese at home. She likes good food!