trader joe’s: yay/nay/meh 2022

Minor YEA to the Pumpkin Cheesecake Croissants. Two to a package. A blob of cheesecake a bit larger than an Oreo, atop a square of puff pastry. The directions are to remove from freezer, let sit at room temperature while the oven heats to 350F, then bake 30 minutes or so, until pastry is well-browned. My oven was already hot as was the pan, so the pastries were out of the freezer no more than 5 minutes. The pastry came out beautifully crisp - EXCEPT. Although the half the bottom layers were crisp, the layers right beneath the filling were mushy and white. That’s absolutely understandable given that the cheesecake on top of it started out frozen. I was suspicious of the instructions but followed them. I have a second package, which I will thaw before baking.

These may appeal to people who aren’t wild for pumpkin and don’t want a whole pie, but for whom it’s not the holidays without a bit of pumpkin.

1 Like

I had those small frozen baguettes in my freezer a while, cooked last night. Said 400°, directly on oven rack, 4-6 minutes. Mine took longer but when browned a bit were not that cooked inside. Edible if you aren’t picky but I wouldn’t buy again.

A Yea for Broccoli and Cauliflower Gratin, an emergency stash in the freezer.

2 Likes

A big YAY! for the return of food samples at my local TJs, but

A big meh! for today’s sample: pumpkin spice madeleines. I never got the hang of pumpkin spice, except in pumpkin pie itselv.

1 Like

I’ll have to check the lasagna noodles then lol. Last year they changed them from a year round item to a holiday one. Go figure.

The Burlington MA store had the no-boil lasagna needles when I was there the very end of September.

I think we were at our local TJs (WA state) no more than a couple weeks ago, and they didn’t. But I’ll keep checking, and buy 30 boxes when I see 'em.

The Valrhona bars are gone?!?!?!?!

NOOOOOOOO!!!

1 Like

Here’s a new product that I’m all sorts of happy about:

Best application: slice thin. sear in a hot pan. place browned slices in your instant ramen bowl along with an egg and green onions. For bonus-level, take the pork fat left in the pan you did the searing in, add a little onion or garlic. Drizzle flavored liquid pork fat into ramen.

6 Likes

That’s been around for at least a couple of years, I think, at least in our neck of the woods. It really is a great & versatile product.

3 Likes

Yup, I’ve been buying those pork bellies in my MA or NH Trader Joes for at least 8 years, based on my first pork belly post on my own FB wall from July 2014. They can be hit or miss, from a fat cap-to-meat ratio, and their boxes are now sealed so you can’t peek at the shrink wrapped piece of pork inside. But the last couple I’ve gotten were good.

1 Like

They were a ‘new to me’ product, at least.

The other thing I’ve noticed that’s at least relatively new is the “Aussie Style” chocolate covered sandwich cookies. which is to say, TJ’s version of TIM TAMS.

They’re great.

For those familiar with the Tim Tam Slam, these cookies perform admirably.

7 Likes

Italian Custard Cream Puffs… Don’t waste your money. Very disappointing. For years I have requested they bring back the frozen profiteroles they used to carry.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing the link to the incredibly gorgeous Natalie Imbruglia.

2 Likes

As others said, YEA for the WW couscous. Absorbed a bit more liquid than called for, but I think that’s like rice - some people like it softer, others firmer.

I remember seeing that clip when BBCAmerica first started airing Graham Norton in the early 2000’s. By sheer coincidence, a coworker had come back from Australia or NZ and gifted me a few small packages of TimTams (more or less unknown in the US at the time), so the ex- and I were able to try it almost immediately. Needless to say, we were sold.

When I had the occasion to actually go to NZ myself a few years later for work, there was considerable luggage space given over to various TimTam flavors on the way home. Dark Chocolate Caramel was a personal fave.

2 Likes

I tried those cookies a year ago. They were very good although, as I recall, rather pricey.

I don’t care for the Aussie ones, too sweet. The similar ones I loved they only had briefly.

3 Likes

Yes, but can you suck hot tea through them?

3 Likes

“Enrobed” HA HA

2 Likes