Tongs

I have two kinds of tongs, basic metal ones and a fancier pair with what appear to be nylon tips.

When I was tossing tortillas over the open gas flame to soften and char a bit, I noticed that the tipped ones gripped much better. They also are used when cooking in a tinned vessel so that the tin will not scratch. I only use the metal ones for turning things in a carbon steel pan or on the grill. Since you can’t be too rich or have too many tongs, I am thinking of another pair. I have never tried wooden tipped ones, but it seems they would hold up better than nylon. Anyone got a thought, experience, or recommendation on this pressing matter?

3 Likes

I have a couple pair of silicone tip ones I quite like. Don’t remember the brand but pretty close to these albeit different colors…

Those look like mine that I thought were nylon. Great price, too (although my metal ones were about $3 at Ace Mart Restaurant Supply).

I only have the bare metal one. It is a nice one from Oxo - similar to the left one you have except no plastic coated tip. I think the tong is working ok with me, so I have not changed. That being said, I think the nylon tips or silicone tips will be softer to the objects.
The metal one will focus more of the force into a smaller area and therefore more pressure on the objects/items.

1 Like

I barely use my tongs anymore. I purchased twelve inch cooking tweezers. I find them to have way more control.

5 Likes

Oh yes. You bring up a good point. For smaller items, I actually use my cooking chopsticks. They look about this length.

My main reason is ease of cleaning - a simple wipe or two is more than enough for the cooking chopsticks. My tongs have a lot more difficult-to-clean places and oil residues and food particles can build over time if I am not careful.

I use my tongs for heavy works like lifting a chicken out of a stew pot.

4 Likes

I’ve been eyeing tweezers for a while now. I see folks doing a lot of pasta with them, and I do have a lot of pasta, so I’m tempted, but I also have, like @Vecchiouomo , a pair of metal tongs that get used on the grill (or for larger items) and a smaller nylon tipped pair (the same OXO model, I think) and those WORK just fine, though they’re a bigger cleaning hassle than I’d like.

Maybe I should try a pair of cooking chopsticks first. They’re probably cheaper. Thanks @Chemicalkinetics for reminding me these are a thing.

Plus, a little paper cylinder and a rubber band can turn cooking chopsticks into tweezers in about 10 seconds…

hmm. interesting thoughts.

2 Likes

It’s more grasping than pressing.

I have all 3 types: SS jaws, plastic-tipped, and silicone-tipped.

I use the plain SS ones for smoking grilling and BBQ, mostly because they come in longer sizes, and grip proteins a little better. Anything that will mar or scratch gets the -tipped tongs. I find the silicone ones don’t grip as well as do the plastic jaws. I was originally concerned the plastic would be more prone to melt, but I haven’t found that to be the case.

Must be under spring tension. I also prefer tongs that will lock closed for stowage, provided the lock is positive and can be operated with just one hand (bumping against body).

1 Like

I only have 5 Oneida Self-Locking Tongs (hold them tips down and click to unlock, tips up to lock…or maybe it’s the other way around? Can’t remember until I go to unlock them). Four smaller ones and 1 larger one. All stainless steel. Helps to store them in my utensils bucket on my counter. Don’t have to bump them against me or use two hands to re-lock them. I also like the grip on them vs. the rubber-tipped ones.

On rare occasion, one of them springs open while on the counter’s spoon rest; the spring mechanism is not as good on that one. I just keep my wineglass and mise en place away from the tongs at all times.

ETA: Not sure if they’re made anymore; I believe I got all of mine at BB&B (which no longer carries them. In fact, they no longer carry a LOT of things!)

2 Likes

Don’t use the plastic ones on your outside grill over an open fire, they will melt. Yep… I screwed up and did that.
It has turned into a “happy accident” as the ends are now jagged and grip the food better. They are also better for scraping the fond off of the bottom of a skillet/pan.
They’ve turned into my favorite tongs.

2 Likes

Just found these tongs. They are not cooking tongs, but rather tongs for snacking. Notice that many people like to snack while also typing on computer or on smartphone. I guess the idea of these tongs is that you can keep your fingers free of foods while going back and forth between eating snack and typing.

Excited, are you all? Now you can snack while typing on HungryOnion.

6 Likes

I mostly use the silicone ones for frying, and for me they grip better on crispy/oily things much better than metal or plastic. The crispy stuff sticks like glue to the silicone, and I can grab two to four pieces between the silicone along with several other pieces whose jaggies interlock against themselves. It is almost like velcro.

3 Likes

I have multiples of these - super excellent control/grip/etc.
mine are from the 70’s - 80’s, I special ordered some for the kids ~2009 - regrets cannot recommend them anymore - WMF made the metal much thinner and the new ones are flimsy.

1 Like

I believe I paid under 10 dollars for tweezers on Amazon . Great for pasta.

1 Like

I am curious as to how use them for pasta. To plate delicate things like tortellini?

I just use them like tongs. You don’t have to be delicate . You get a better twist in your pasta when plating . I use them for most everything. The only time I don’t is for whole chicken. For under ten bucks. It’s worth having a pair.

1 Like

Cool. I like to twist long pasta with a long tined carving fork in a ladle.

1 Like

I keep trying to sell my partner on the fancy ‘pasta tower’ and she shoots me a look EVERY TIME.

She has a very “stop playing with my food, I’m hungry” sort of view of things.

4 Likes

I have two pair.

and these I have had for many years.

tongs

I use the cheap ones 90% of the time and the expensive 12" one only when I grill. They were a gift. And @LindaWhit is correct, up to lock, down to unlock.

2 Likes

Leave your partner drinking wine on the sofa until you have plated it the way you want. If, like my wife, she is at the counter in the kitchen, mix her another martini. If she has had two, she will not decline it. Bon chance!

1 Like