Tongs

I love the fancy pasta tower . Either I twist in the ladle . Or use a ring mold . It’s great. When we get to play with our food .

4 Likes

This is sound advice, so long as we replace ‘martini’ with ‘Manhattan’ or ‘old fashioned’.

2 Likes

I think mine are nylon, too. I also have bare ones. I love tongs. The only kind I remember growing up were the kind with scissor handles. I guess they’d be more useful for serving portions of stuff, I don’t see them anymore, except as dedicated salad tongs.

2 Likes

Try calling it a pastry round…

We alternate between old fashioneds and martinis.

1 Like

Four kinds - tweezers included.

I use the tweezers mostly for removing poultry feathers and fish bones when cleaning before cooking. So, not for presentation or serving purposes.

The rest of the tongs speak for themselves.

2 Likes

Ahhhh, my Grandma and my Mom had those as well! Nostalgic for me.

4 Likes

These are great for waterbath canning.

3 Likes

I’ve got those too.

They’re so loose and gripnso poorly, I use them almost exclusively for grabbing hot trays from the toaster oven.

Trying to use them for cooking just leads to dropped shrimp and chicken parts.

2 Likes

Same here, but they only used them for pulling corn on the cob out of the boiling water. I thought that was their only use and I always called them “corn tongs”.

3 Likes

Or, depending on your jars and the model of tongs, not so great. Maybe uncoated models are better, but my coated jar lifter is terribly slippery on Mason jars.

You must have gotten a crappy pair. I can pick up rose petals with mine.

OK, are you my long-lost invisible brother? :wink: That’s what Mom used them for as well! Sometimes she’d use them to flip chicken in a baking pan, but almost always it was corn.

1 Like

OMG!! Linda is that really you?? Yes… it’s me, Dan.

2 Likes

Another melted case here, with a plastic tong, used it to handle deep fried food.

1 Like

Wow. Glass-reinforced nylon like Matfer’s Exoglass and Mercer Culinary’s Hell’s Tools holds up well to 430F.

1 Like

I told husband I was going to buy some cooking tweezers. He went to the basement and came back with a 12" pair and asked, “Will these do?” “Well, yes!”

3 Likes

Super . I believe you will enjoy them .

I use flat indian tongs for tortillas and other flatbreads - it doesn’t have the sharpness or textured edge of western tongs to rip them when they’re puffed up and delicate.

I have three lengths - the middle one used most often for flatbreads, the longer one is remarkably handy to pull things out of my countertop oven, the little one was so cute that I had to have it.

I noticed a lot of people mentioning tongs for deep frying - I use a skimmer or a spider depending on what I’m frying, never tongs.

1 Like

I have! I have a problem with many conventional “tongs”. I don’t have the hand strength to safely control many of the good stainless ones. I’ve a couple of weefy aluminum ones that are fine. Husband and son questioned why I was having trouble with some of the “good” ones, then they each tried them and found that, yes, the tension was really not user friendly. So, weefy aluminum and tweezers.

1 Like