Tighter regulations or a ban on gas stoves coming?

You’ve caught an ad hominem habit, I’ve noted. But no, I’m not paranoid about anything. Please let me know which parts of my comment are incorrect. That’s generally accepted as better behaviour than ad hominem.

Seems like a non-sequitur. Buggy whips became obsolete when buggies by and large became obsolete - due to market pressure from more people purchasing what they saw as the more versatile automobile.

Now, if electric stoves were causing market obsolescence of gas stoves due to superior performance… rather than by city and state (so far) governments forcing obsolescence, the analogy might be more apt.

1 Like

I don’t know too much about him but assume he is sincere. It appears he’s been working in consumer safety from quite a while before his appointment to the CPSC. His CPSC resume touts wins like reforms on heavy metal levels in infant food, and tightening standards for baby car safety seats.

I agree. I think Richard Trumpka is sincere and honest. It does not mean he is right or wrong, but I think he meant well.

1 Like

Stating facts isn’t paranoia.

1 Like

I apologize if my comment sounded like a personal attack. Having living in DC for more than thirty years before moving to Upstate NY, I find that most American really have little idea how the federal government works. And conspiracy theories abound. I have known hundreds of federal government employees and not a single one of them is trying to pull a fast one on the American people. Misstatements like Trumka’s are the nearly always from political appointees, not from government professionals. As for buggy whips, I meant them as a metaphor for things that people refuse to give up when better options are available.

Stating conspiracy theories that have little connections to facts is paranoia.

The problem is that Trumka spoke out of turn. As a political appointee, his comments assumed by the ill-informed as representing administration policy.

Your argument would carry more weight if you could point out where chemical kinetics is factually incorrect (if they are) instead of calling them names.

2 Likes

That is categorically false. Political appointees routinely make comments that do not reflect administration policy. The implication that this was some sort of trial balloon simply is contrary to fact.

Rock 'em Sock 'em Friday.

4 Likes

I appreciate that. Yet, you called me paranoid. Is it a fact that your NY governor has outlined a plan to ban all residential gas usage by 2025, in new construction?

Or is it a paranoid fantasy? I’ve linked to your governor’s plan above, by the way. She plans to ban even refits by 2030.

So where am I “paranoid”, as you claimed?

Similarly CA gov’t has a plan.

Many city gov’ts are doing the same - banning all new construction by X date and banning all gas refits by X+Y date.

So where the EFF is my “paranoia” in this?

You can continue to ad hominem my comments without engaging - I guess that’s you’re “right”, but I’d prefer you to actually engage here and discuss.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

Please explain how what the governor of NY says has to do with federal policy. Ok, you do not like the fact that NY, California, and many municipalities are taking the lead in reducing use of fossil fuels. That does not require that you make thing up. You are welcome to move to whatever benighted red state meets your needs.

Your assumptions are wrong. I’m just fine with local governments doing what they want to do with their constituents, and those constituents can either embrace the rascals or vote them out.

Why do you keep engaging in false mindreading?

You are tiresome. But earlier you claimed “no one is actively considering a ban on gas stoves”. This is an exact quote from your post above.

Quite obviously this is NOT correct. As many cities and states (including your own state governor) are doing so.

As for the federal government, when it comes to bodies like the CPSC, the problem is that we cannot vote those rascals out - they’re embedded for at least 7 years, 14 if appointed to a second.

How long do you suppose it is before your NY State bans start filtering into federal bans?

Anyway, keep on strawmanning me, man.

Edit - and if you somehow claim to believe that policies enacted in California the New York State don’t bleed over into federal policies… under a (D) administration… then I don’t know what to say to you.

2 Likes

You are jumping the gun here. Who said anything about conspiracy and who said anything about administration policy? I am not sure why you are adding all these attachments. My point stands. It wasn’t a offhand comment.

I am not sure why you keep trying to fit me or others into a particular position. Like I said, I actually have no problem with Richard Trumka’s comment. What I think you shouldn’t do is to call people as having conspiracy theories, or paranoid or offhand comment.

For example, CCE listed a few facts, and those are facts. How is that being paranoid. If you think his examples are too “selective” or “not representative”, then I am sure you can list some counter example facts. A simple “Paranoid much” comment isn’t exactly a nice or productive response. Another example, Richard Trumka’s comment is not an offhand remark. He has held this same position before. He has given similar response before. He was recently asked about his comment and he had the choice to retract it, but he did not. He simply stated that the anger is misdirected. Richard is an adult and successful person at that. If he thinks it is an accidental or an offhand comment, then I am sure he can speak for himself.

2 Likes

My question is . Where does all the natural gas go when the stove ban is applied. Will this apply to furnace , and water heaters for heat . Will this affect the the power grid wich uses natural gas for electricity. Wouldn’t the use of natural gas have the same complicated effect in other systems. Confused. Totally.

Hot water heaters and furnaces have a sealed dedicated vent (to the outside). Although it is possible for some natural gas fumes to escape a poorly maintained vent/chimney system, the natural gas is not being utilized/combusted (directly) in a living area.
Personally, I would love to have a gas hot water heater, but that isn’t an option in my area.

2 Likes

I’m in area where no natural gas is available. Northern California. It’s stops in Redding. I have learned to cook on a electric stove . Electric water heater. Diesel fuel gravity fed heater when needed. I’m using.95 percent electric in my house now . The diesel fuel for the heater is a hundred bucks a week . Been using a ceramic heater . It’s half the price. I’m sure that’s going to go up with electric . I’m storing old furniture that is burnable . Lol .

I think gas does post some certain risks. That being said, are we really banning gas because of health or energy policy? First, what about wood burning or coal burning in door? Certainly even worse, but there is actually no ban on them. I think someone here just bought a japanese style yakitori grill. Second, sugar, saturated fat, white rice, alcohol, video games,…. Any of these posts greater risk for long term health in my eyes than gas stove. This does not mean gas stoves do not have health risk, but how high is it when compared to alcohol?

Same here

1 Like

In some municipalities in my home state, California, it is now illegal to install gas lines/hook ups in new construction, so no gas heating will be permitted.

It is projected that such bans will result In further energy shortages.

1 Like