The time has come

I went on a shrub spree a few years ago, and while my guests loved them in cocktails, I usually drank them in sparkling water or seltzer or even just chilled water because I sometimes have an allergic reaction to alcohol, and they were just lovely without.

I recommend the cold shrub method - Michael Dietsch has a good book on it, some of his recipes are available on the Internet to start.

My favorites were lemon (like a lemonade concentrate but more intense), orange (like a better orangina or aranciata), and blackberry (intense and almost savory). Then you can mix and match fruit and herbs and flavorings. Ginger is pretty fantastic in fall and winter.

4 Likes

Me too, and it continues every summer.

1 Like

Found this older list I wrote:

And this from my original spree:

And hereā€™s the method and a few ideas from the ā€œshrub guyā€:

https://hollyandflora.com/2015/03/03/how-to-make-shrubs-aka-drinking-vinegars-3-refreshing-recipes/

2 Likes

Seedlip is increasingly available in the UK. Perfect with Fever Tree tonic for a faux G & T.

1 Like
1 Like

Iā€™m looking forward to my rhubarb late this summer!

1 Like

I am obsessed with this German drink, and get my fill every summer.

Tart, delicious. super-refreshing. Otherwise, Iā€™m pretty much a rhubarb hater.

Iā€™ve been more mindful of my alcohol intake of late. I have found most no alcohol beers disappointing and so have favoured 2-3 % ABV IPAā€™s instead of the standard no alcohol Lager variety. One no alcohol drink I do like is kombucha made with hops. This is a particular favourite.

1 Like

You donā€™t have to rely on NA lagers as there are more and more NA IPA on the market now which actually donā€™t taste bad, like Free Wave (Athletic), Just the Haze (Sam Adams), Juicy IPA (Untitled Art) or IPNA (Lagunitas) to name a few

2 Likes