Homemade flavored water

Make Shrubs. You can use almost any kind of fruit. There are two methods. 1: 2 parts fruit, 1 part sugar; 1 part cider vinegar. Bring to a boil, simmer 20 mins - then strain. 2: 2 parts fruit, 1 part sugar - mix - slightly bruising the fruit. Let stand 2 days in the fridge; strain - add 1 part cider vinegar. Mix shrub 1:3 with sparkling water.

For herbs - you have to bruise the herbs to get flavor when you add them to sparkling water.

5 Likes

Homemade shrubs would make a nice thread of its own! First time I ever enjoyed shrub was at a bar in VT with a beekeeper friend who made shrubs and Mead year round.

Our fav fruit shrub is blackberry and if I feel a cold coming on a honey shrub is a useful elixir.

Consider a shrub topic. I would like to learn more.

They don’t have a specific flavor the way sunflower seeds or sesame seeds do, really more of a texture that most people describe as similar to tiny tapioca. The ancient mayans apparently drank chia water to help stay hydrated and it’s popular with athletes making their own all natural gatorade. The little seeds absorb the liquid and poof up. Not a seed to sprinkle on a salad, but great in yogurt or oatmeal too.
I also use it for chia puddings but most often in smoothies since it works as a natural thickener. You mix them in and in like 5-10min they’re hydrated and have thickened.
In the water I don’t use much, more just as an added nutrition boost since they’re high in fiber and omega 3. I have a comically large bag from costco i keep in my freezer but you can get a little bag at trader joe’s or find it in natural food store bulk bins.

Their drink they use one TB but for me that’s a lot so i do a fat tsp or so.

4 Likes

Very interesting. Sounds like I have nothing to lose trying out a small bag. Thxs for your generous reply.

Of course! Its easy to just add a little here and there and get the extra boost of good omegas and fiber. If you google up chia pudding or chia drinks you’ll see there’s a million recipes, the chia puddings are usually dairy free but you can use regular milk. I like the ones that use some cashews or nuts to add that rich mouthfeel

1 Like

I love this.

My babe loves chia seeds hydrated in coconut milk/cream!

Adorable! And it’s fantastic when made with canned coconut milk.
I think the best one i ever had was at this kinda intense raw vegan restaurant and they used the flesh of young coconut with cashews and coconut oil; it was really creamy and rich.
This place- (they make killer soups too)
http://www.quintessencenyc.com

1 Like

You may have just solved a mystery for me!

A sushi place in South Pasadena (Tokoro, I think - I don’t really recommend it) serves an iced tea that tastes of toasted grains, and I love it! I’ve asked what it was but ran into a language barrier - assumed it was some sort of toasted rice, but barley makes more sense.

Thank you!

1 Like

Maybe it’s genmaicha you had. Should be available at an Asian supermarket.

1 Like

Ah, another definite possibility!

Even if it isn’t what I was served, this definitely sounds very appealing - since I live in the San Gabriel Valley, I have access to MANY Asian grocery stores (and now yet another reason to go browsing their aisles!). Thank you!

2 Likes

If you eat Chia Seeds do you grow vegetation all over your body?

3 Likes

I think that can be roasted buckwheat seeds tea, also called Soba-cha. It is quite close to Genmaicha in taste, which consists of green tea leaves and toasted brown rice. I like both!

1 Like

No, the chia pet only grows in your tummy. :wink:

1 Like

We’ll finish the pitcher of Joejitos today (my Joe rarely drinks and the Joe next door doesn’t drink at all so strawberries were added to mojitos instead of rum,) and will make a new pitcher of flavored water today. Maybe strawberry basil since both are plentiful in the garden. Ginger-mint-lemon-cucumber is the usual around here.

2 Likes

Still enjoying flavored waters, pineapple cores remains my personal fav.

2 Likes

I’m a recent convert to shrubs. Made a bunch this summer and drank them mostly in sparkling water or just plain cold water. Also superb in cocktails.

I’ve tried ginger, fennel, watermelon-lime, mango-pepper, lemon, and orange so far. All using a cold method rather than the boiled method. Really lovely, and a big crowd pleaser.

2 Likes

We’ve done Blueberry-Ginger, Strawberry & Balsamic, Pineapple & Jalapeno, Pomegranate & Rosemary & Rhubarb. All delicious but I like the Rhubarb the best. Peaches are in so next up is Peach-Lavender.

2 Likes
1 Like

I’ve been rinsing out the saucepan after making jam or compotewith some water, then pouring it into a couple glasses, which I leave in the fridge. More like a fruit drink than an infused water. So far, I’ve done this with plum jam, strawberry jam, blueberry jam and raspberry jam.

I’ve been enjoying them a lot. I often infuse water with strawberries, raspberries or nectarines.