The Joy of Cooking - Squirrels etc.

I’d love to think that was a deliberate play on words.

3 Likes

I agree. We recently had this rabbit filled agnolotti at a restaurant and if it didn’t have the sugo di arrosto (sauce of roasted meat drippings & juices) and a shower of parmesan it would’ve been boring.

3 Likes

Let’s just pretend I’m that witty. :wink:

2 Likes

Largely, I’d wager, because most Americans have never eaten rabbit, and would lose their minds if offered it as a dish (OMG Thumper! )

So with nothing else to compare to they fall back to bland industrial chicken.

2 Likes

I like eating Thumper, but really enjoy Bambi.

4 Likes

The building I live in is a NYC skyscraper that went up in the 20s. There is a very ornate top on the building that has become the residence of a peregrine couple. Quite the penthouse. I recall one afternoon when I was standing at a window one of them can shopping by. I think we started each other.

As to eating “cute” animals I enjoy both thumper and Peter along with Bambi (whose relatives are also a pest) and Wilbur.

2 Likes

I remember a news story about a family that was nesting on an ornate building in NYC. IIRC there was a big fight about whether to remove them or not. I hope the nots won.

Possibly this is what you’re thinking of:

Hawks, not falcons, though.

3 Likes

Yep, that’s the story!

1 Like

I was in a small grocery store in Nogales, MX, and saw an ENTIRE javelina head, completely intact, hair and all, in the butcher counter.

2 Likes

I get this. In Britain and certainly in France, seeing pelt on carcasses are not unusual. And skinned but head on bodies are offered to guarantee that the animal is indeed what it is purported to be. I.e., rabbit not … name that which you are not comfortable eating.

3 Likes

I wasn’t freaked out or grossed out, but I was fairly surprised when I first saw it.

I actually miss seeing game hanging over the counter in my market.

I love that you can tell the time of year by what’s on offer

2 Likes

But what about Miss Piggy ?

2 Likes

Love me some thumper .

1 Like

Flower’s the problematic one.

6 Likes

I prefer the pig that herds sheep like a dog. Can’t remember his name.
Babe!

And isn’t there one in Charlotte’s Web?

Wilbur!

CharlotteWeb

5 Likes

A few months my sister in law went to live in Spain, we went for a visit. She said to get a taxi to the village square and she’d meet us there. So we did. And she turned up with her pet lamb on a leash. Of course it was only a pet until it grew and got fattened up.

1 Like

Back to squirrels: The flavor largely depends on how it is cooked. If just stewed or batter-fried, it’s milder, like rabbit. I parboil squirrel, debone and brown the meat in a skillet. Then, it’s a bit more flavorful, somewhat like a mild beef. It can then be added to whatever recipe you like.

Squirrel, like rabbit, makes a fine cacciatore, especially if you include some Aleppo pepper.

Of course “rabbit” is a variable meat. Here, Eastern Cottontails are hunted extensively. Those wild rabbits have richer flavor than the domesticated rabbits. Population explosions are generally followed by raptors hanging around, which clear out most of them.

5 Likes

And my mother, when she was young, helped raised a chicken she named Jack at her grandfather’s farm in central PA. Before she left that summer to go back home to their house in Laurelton, NY, she asked her grandma if they could eat Jack. Sure enough…

3 Likes