The Joy of Cooking - Squirrels etc.

The leaves . Yes I rake them up onto a tarp. Drag them to the back of the property. It’s a good work out . Otherwise they turn to mayonnaise over the winter . Which becomes ultra difficult. Part of living below the mountain. All good .

3 Likes

Way down yonder in Texas we have The Big Tree a centuries old live oak.

I’ve seen it and it is real and spectacular.

Goose Island State Park Nature — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

3 Likes

Seems you’ve adapted well to life in the mountains.
Time moves slower here after a while.
:wink:

1 Like

Mine seem to break down just right during or after (what used to be ) 5he rain 8n the winter. If I am up to it, I put them in a wire bin, and add them with “greens” to my compost, and some just become “leaf mold”.

1 Like

City Hawk

8 Likes

That looks like a Peregrine Falcon!

3 Likes

While red squirrels are proof of Mother Nature’s sense of humor they’re a nuisance around the cabin.

………. :fried_egg:
:chipmunk: :dash: …. :running_man:t3: :dash: ……. :evergreen_tree: :house: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree:

1 Like

Whaa?! Cool.

Here’s another pic. I’d been trying to get a shot of this guy for months then got lucky this week three days in a row!

There’s also a smaller one that’s possibly his lady.

To stay on the squirrel topic, I notice they’re kinda scarce with him around and we’re kinda glad because they’re stripping our big tree of leaves and tearing up my African daisies!

6 Likes

I had to look that up.

“The peregrine falcon is best known for its diving speed during flight—which can reach more than 300 km (186 miles) per hour—making it not only the world’s fastest bird but also the world’s fastest animal . …”

2 Likes

Omg! Really?! In other words my cats can’t out run one!

3 Likes

I’m reading it and apparently I’m being sexist. The females are bigger than the males. That “guy” is probably a girl.

1 Like

Not sure where this raptor is living, but that looks way too big to be a peregrines. They’re little guys.

Sexist or not, I’m just glad I’m not a mantis.

1 Like

Here’s a link on Peregrines. Their color is quite variable. The wingspan can reach 3.9 feet and max out around 20 inches long. That sharply curved, pointed beak and dark head “helmet” are field marks. Peregrines have adapted to city life in many areas, nesting on tall buildings. A friend of mine once saw a pigeon “explode” in Washington DC, as a Peregrine smacked it.

Watch the bird fly. If it has pointed wings, it’s likely a Peregrine or a Prairie Falcon. They mostly eat birds, but I bet they’d nab a squirrel. Besides, the squirrels don’t know what they prefer!

It’s squirrel hunting season here. A friend will be headed here to thin the rodents with me. He makes a barbecue with squirrel. I need to try out his recipe.

4 Likes

In the UK, the (American) grey squirrel is regarded almost as a pest. As such, it has minimal legal protection and can be hunted year round. They occasionally turn up at the local farmers market (although I’ve never bought them). On rare occasions, they also find their way onto restaurant menus where I will order it. Truth be told, I order it because of the novelty value, rather than any great sense of enjoyment.

2 Likes

Now I am curious. Can you describe the flavor?

1 Like

Quite a mild flavour. More akin to rabbit than chicken, if that helps.

Last time I had it in restaurant, it was a snack. It came as a “bonbon”, with a crispy coating and a spiced mayo to dunk it in.

2 Likes

Helpful description, thanks so much.

People in the US too often say that a given game meat “tastes like chicken.” I’ve always found that hard to believe. So it was refreshing for me to read that rabbit is a closer comparison.

1 Like

Here as well. I buy top end organic chicken and it has a great flavour, with many game birds/animals much milder in flavour. I buy locally shot rabbit from time to time but it always seems to need “something” to give it a spark.

2 Likes

Thanks @bogman!

Dayum, that’s an incredible creature. Who knew? And I think you’re right that it is a Peregrine - most of the online photos show them with brown markings but I found a couple photos of Peregrines identical to my photo.

I’m starting to wish we had a squirrel hunting season, lol. I don’t know if it’s the drought or what but they’ve started eating up all the vegetation. I feel bad for them but it’s driving us nuts.

Happy Hunting!

1 Like