The Food of Singapore Malays: Gastronomic Travels Through the Archipelago

โ€œDis-moi ce que tu manges, je te dirai ce que tu es.โ€ [Tell me what you eat and I will tell you what you are] - ๐˜ผ๐™ฃ๐™ฉ๐™๐™š๐™ก๐™ข๐™š ๐˜ฝ๐™ง๐™ž๐™ก๐™ก๐™–๐™ฉ-๐™Ž๐™–๐™ซ๐™–๐™ง๐™ž๐™ฃ, ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ โ€œ๐˜—๐˜ฉ๐˜บ๐˜ด๐˜ช๐˜ฐ๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜จ๐˜ช๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฅ๐˜ถ ๐˜Ž๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ๐˜ต, ๐˜ฐ๐˜ถ ๐˜”๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ๐˜ช๐˜ต๐˜ข๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ด ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ ๐˜Ž๐˜ข๐˜ด๐˜ต๐˜ณ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ช๐˜ฆ ๐˜›๐˜ณ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ด๐˜ค๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ๐˜ฅ๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ต๐˜ฆโ€ (1826).

The Food of Singapore Malays: Gastronomic Travels Through the Archipelago, Khir Johariโ€™s tome on Singapore-Malay cuisine, is the most comprehensive, and breathtakingly beautiful ode to Singaporeโ€™s oldest culinary tradition. And for such a large book - all 10 pounds of it - I found it virtually unputdownable!

Khir Johariโ€™s massive ๐˜ฎ๐˜ข๐˜จ๐˜ฏ๐˜ถ๐˜ฎ ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฑ๐˜ถ๐˜ด shown here, relative to Mrs Leeโ€™s Cookbook - my first cookbook bought back in 1982.

For the longest time, Singapore-Malay food was the ๐—ผ๐—ป๐—น๐˜† type of Malay food I knew. My first job was with the Singapore Broadcasting Corporation back in the late-80s, and the Malay stall at the staff canteen on Caldecott Hill served some really stupendous nasi rawon and mee soto at breakfast time.

My fave nasi lemak at the time was from a Malay stall inside Rocovo Cafe at Goldhill Plaza. When the stall closed down in 1995/96, I never ever could find another nasi lemak as good as the one they served.

Years later, I moved to Singapore Airlines and, lo and behold, the staff canteen inside Airline House served perhaps the ๐™—๐™š๐™จ๐™ฉ nasi rawon on the island.

Like Khir Johari, I really enjoyed Malay fine dining, first at Aziza Aliโ€™s eponymously-named eatery on Emerald Hill (I once sneaked out of a colleagueโ€™s Chinese wedding banquet when it was halfway through, just to eat at Azizaโ€™s!), and then at the super-elegant Sukmaindra at Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza.

But when I moved to Kuala Lumpur in 2011, I discovered a whole new Malay food tradition there: spicier, less sweet, less coconut milk-rich - for KLโ€™s Malay cuisine is heavily influenced by Minang food tradition.

Now, in Penang, Iโ€™ve come across Malay cuisine with strong Kedahan, Siamese, and Jawi-Peranakan influences.

But, for me, nothing beats Singapore-Malay cuisine - its rich history bore witness to the various cultures and traditions that made up what Singapore is today.

Reading Khir Johariโ€™s book simply makes one hungry for Malay food so, yesterday evening, I peeled myself away from the book to go to Nasi Tomato Batu Lanchang. There, Mohamad Tajularus Wahap carries on the tradition started by his late parents over a decade ago - cooking with only the freshest ingredients available in the markets on that day. No additives, no artificial flavourings or colourings. From his stupendous tauhu telur, to his lamb kurmah, Encik Wahapโ€™s cooking reflects the rich Acehnese, Jawi-Peranakan and Chinese-Nyonya influences of Penangโ€™s own Malay cuisine.

9 Likes

First time that Iโ€™m back in Singapore for Christmas since the COVID lockdowns began back in March 2020. Been busy catching up with all my relatives and friends, many of whom Iโ€™d not met in person since back then.

But we also managed to catch up with cookbook author, Khir Johari, as well - and he showed us where his favorite spots for Malay food are:

Itโ€™s good to be home. Merry Christmas, everyone!

7 Likes