The end pieces from a loaf of bread

That is ingenious! Well done!

1 Like

I’m lost. What are you sneaking in, inside out?

The end pieces from a loaf of bread. If you face the darker, outside end piece to the inside of the sandwich, no one notices. From experience, though, you cannot make grilled cheese this way- all the cheese slides out.

Oh, I get it. You are talking about pre-sliced packaged bread. Yes?

1 Like

I make a thing that a friend told me about; it doesn’t have a name because I can’t think of a good one for it. Here’s the original conversation where he told me how to make it.

Essentially you:

• sautĂ© onions, garlic, and your choice of veg (e.g. mushrooms, spring greens, bell peppers)
  • add small salty things (e.g. sundried tomatoes, capers, olives) and purĂ©ed salty things (e.g. tomato purĂ©e, sweet pepper purĂ©e, olive paste, chilli paste) and cook it a bit more
  • add torn-up stale bread, optional fresh herbs, liquids (e.g. wine, soy sauce, olive brine, stock), and a beaten egg, mix well, and carry on cooking it until the egg is cooked and the breadcrumbs have soaked up the liquid
  • don‘t let it get too dry

And that’s your easy, tasty meal for one. The ingredients above are just examples (and obviously you wouldn’t want to use them all at once) — just use whatever you have in the fridge.

@Kake, on one of Jacques Pepin’s shows he made what was, essentially, bread patties.
Diced veg (can’t remember how much they were cooked already), egg, bread crumbs, maybe milk. formed into patties, then sauteed. IIRC, they were served atop salad greens.

One of the reasons I adore that man is that though he is a renowned chef, he has retained the frugality that was essential in his family when he was growing up. There seem to be foodies who are proud to discard the imperfect or the left-over, as though this marks them as expert connoisseurs. JP, who knows more about food than almost anyone else, can make great food from humble ingredients, and is never boastful.

3 Likes

Ah, I may have mis-explained. The thing I’m talking about is all cooked in one frying pan in one go, just adding more ingredients as you go along. No forming into patties or anything like that. It ends up as a kind of cross between stuffing (US: dressing) and a savoury bread-and-butter pudding.

Yup, best piece(s) in the loaf. Wahine and I fight over the “hinkeys”. Really bad form to slice off the “other” hinkey before the rest of the loaf is used.

Aloha,
Kaleo

If it’s from a bakery rye, we fight over it!!!

This! One of my favorite activities as a kid was feeding the ducks in the Boston Common with my dad all the leftover Home Pride/Wonder bread ends.

If it’s good homemade bread, I might eat it but normally I don’t like the crusty end. Since my current kitties are weird bread freaks, I’ll sometimes give it to them, if they are in the mood.

I understood you the first time - just thought I’d mention a slightly different take on the same ingredients. :smile:

Please don’t feed bread to ducks and other waterfowl. Every month we take in ducks, geese, etc. with Angel Wing - many can’t be rehabbed and are euthanized.
http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/16/dont-feed-the-ducks-bread-say-conservationists

To get back on topic: if it’s the heels from a sliced loaf of bread, my partner devours them. If it’s the ends from an unsliced bakery loaf, they’re all mine! (Usually slathered in butter, of course.)

3 Likes

Growing up, a weekly treat was French bread my Dad brought home from a bakery near where he worked. He ALWAYS got the heels. This made those pieces all the more enticing to me. So, when I started raising a family, I ALWAYS took the heels. Been that way for decades.

1 Like

The ends are highly prized in my house. A local bakery even makes a concoction that looks like a star, 4 FOUR ends! That thing on the bottom:

2 Likes

I MUST, simply MUST have that star-shaped bread!

1 Like

Venice Bakery, Hamden CT

1 Like

Obviously I need to move. Or start baking bread more often.

1 Like

Mine too!!!

1 Like

fwiw, bread is TERRIBLE for geese and ducks. really terrible.

eta: i see someone already posted this, so +1.

1 Like

Didn’t know that feeding rustic whole wheat bread ends was bad .