The egg , chicken or other chopped sandwich or salad thread

Hi everyone, stepping in as moderator to ask that everyone please refrain from personal attacks AND from yucking other people’s yum. Thanks!

5 Likes

A touch of mustard goes a long way in both.

2 Likes

I will be glad to discuss with you-

I like fresh basil, so good in chicken salad.

1 Like

It’s an opinion. It’s not, however, incorrect. It’s his and his alone. Personal bashing, however, is not acceptable, anywhere, but especially on HO, which is supposed to be a fun place to share said opinions. If you disagree and can’t do so without bashing another, perhaps it’s time to step away from HO for a little while. Because opinions are one’s own and can certainly change. Mine certainly have from this thread.

9 Likes

NO TO MUSTARD. ducks

Or at least warn guests if you’re serving that sandwich to them. Lol.

2 Likes

Linda, would you like to try my Mexican tuna salad sandwich made with lime,
mayo and cilantro? :joy:

1 Like

You are correct.

IIRC, Linda is the forum’s foremost hater of cilantro (coriander to us Brits). As you note upthread, an American “tuna salad” would be a British “tuna & mayo” . And I’d be very happy to try your sandwich - tuna mayo is a regular sandwich in this house. Is the lime contribution zest, juice or both? And would a bit of chilli heat work in there somehow?

2 Likes

Sub parsley for the other icky green stuff you mentioned, and I’d be game! LOL

2 Likes

Oh,
I know Linda hates cilantro, we go way back.

I was curious if she was open to changing her opinion.

You can certainly could add jalapeños or another chili, or zest. I don’t tend to keep fresh peppers on hand most of the year, so I don’t tend to add peppers.

I first had Mexican tuna salad in 1992, on my first trip to Mexico. The beach bar had massive bowls of tuna salad, as a snack.

I hated cilantro as a teenager, and my tastes changed around the time I was 22. I like it now. I grow my own. :rofl:

1 Like

I wear that cilantro-hating crown proudly, @Harters and will fight anyone who dares to try to take it away from me! And I’m in very good company who believe the same.

3 Likes

I know there are tons of people like you. :joy:

I have to tell friends if I’ve added cilantro, just in case. In another food group, if I post a photo that might have cilantro in it, one friend always asks what that green stuff is. She hates it as much as you do.

I have a quiet blech reaction when people sneak orange juice or mustard into salad dressings or sandwiches.

1 Like

I remember my surprise and delight with the chicken sandwich I ordered at the lunch counter at Gray’s Antique Center in London. Fresh white bread surrounding sliced chicken breast, SALTED AND PEPPERED, lettuce (called salad) and mayo. As you say, a revelation when used to the American chicken salad sandwich.

4 Likes

I love salad Olivier - eggs, chicken, potato, pickles and green peas and maybe carrots - everything except the pickles cooked. It doesn’t need the bread but also goes great with.

6 Likes

In our house, any leftover protein is turned into ragu Bolognese OR this “potted meat”. One of the only times I get out the food processor.

Chop meat (ham, roast beef or pork, steak, chicken or turkey) along with a raw carrot, onion, pickles of your choice or combination. Add, if you wish, a hard boiled egg and chunk of yellow cheese. Bind with mayo, kiss of mustard.

My father cut out this recipe probably in the '40s, published by Hormel and meant for Spam. It’s a lot better than it sounds, as a sandwich or cracker spread.

2 Likes

Place me in the cilantro-yukkers of the world. To me, it tastes like someone slipped a floral soap into my food. (Hmmm . . . perhaps I’ll try a cilantro bath some day :thinking:

On the more controversial portion of this discussion . . . I am an American with a strong aversion to mayo. Knowing this, I avoid chicken salad, tuna salad, egg salad and all of those other dishes I reasonably expect contain mayo. I don’t think @Harters was disparaging America, its people or its cuisine. He just had an expectation of receiving one type of dish and instead received something not to his liking.

Two of my worst food memories. When I was a young kid my grandma proudly presented me with an egg salad sandwich. Being a good, obedient kid I managed to eat it. Thankfully mom later told her about my mayo feelings (I had 3 siblings and only dad & I objected to mayo, the rest of the family scarfed it down happily). The other was as an adult when I ordered a hamburger in a fairly nice restaurant and it arrived with mayo. This time I was a paying adult and sent it back–the menu had no mention of this unwanted condiment.

4 Likes

Oh and I do enjoy a nice salad of mixed greens with slices of grilled chicken breast. Preferably with a honey dijon or balsamic dressing. It’s pretty clear from a menu this is what I’ll be receiving as it’s generally presented as “xxx salad” “add chicken for $xx.”

Bah, humbug!

One of my favourite casual lunches is a visit to the city’s Northern Quarter and, in particular, to one of the several “curry cafes” there. These were originally established as lunch spots for the Asian workers in the local garment industry but are now mainly have Anglo customers. It’s bargain food - a plate of rice topped with three choices from the day’s six or so curries (cost about £6/7.50. And all have a bowl or chopped coriander on the serving counter for you to add to your own plate.

FWIW, Dad worked in the Quarter’s garment trade his whole life, although that was before the main Asian immigration period in the 70s and 80s. The workers in the small companies making coats and so on, were then almost exclusively of Jewish heritage. I think he’d have enjoyed trying the curries - not something we ever had at home then but he was stationed in India throughout WW2 and may have got a taste for them.

2 Likes

Europeans are often freaked out by the excessive and widespread (see what I did there hahaha) use of mayo on sammiches in the US.

At least in Germany, butter (generally a not-so-healthy amount) is the preferred lube for any sammich.

4 Likes