The egg , chicken or other chopped sandwich or salad thread

Great use of leftovers, IMO. My mum used to make it, although she didnt have the benefit of a food processor. I find pot roast beef to be the best, kept moist with a little of the gravy. And maybe a little English mustard. And a bit of onion, if there’s any left from the pot roasting.

1 Like

I’m not a big fan of butter on a sandwich either, though it is certainly less offensive than mayo. As an American, I always make sure to specify no mayo whenever ordering a sandwich. Yes I am that person who orders turkey breast on a kaiser with no mayo–generally the server checks to confirm I really want nothing but turkey and lettuce on the roll

1 Like

No condiments for you at all? Ketchup? Mustard? A light shmear of cream cheese?

2 Likes

Ketchup or mustard with turkey??? Nope. Just dry. And with a glass of Coke filled with ice please :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, since you won’t eat mayo :rofl:

A lightish touch with mustard works with turkey, IMO. My Boxing Day lunch is usually a turkey sandwich - smear one piece of bread with mayo, top with leftover turkey (I prefer breast for use cold, leg for hot), add mango chutney, top that with lettuce, smear second piece of bread with Dijon or grain mustard. It needs a few crisps to accompany it for crunch.

1 Like

Husband grew up with Durkee’s on poultry sandwiches. A slight mustardy touch. I did not and prefer them with only mayo.
Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 8.18.37 AM

3 Likes

My from the east coast partner loves that stuff. I do not.

1 Like

My mother was a big fan of Salad Olivier yet not of mayo.
She liked ground beef in cabbage rolls yet not Bolognese, hamburgers and such.
She enjoyed many canned fish varieties always made her salmon spread with cream cheese.
Perhaps it had something to do with age.
My Uncle always made dip with a cream cheese base and not mayo or sour cream.
@sherrib
nice to make your acquaintance !

1 Like

Agree! And Greeks serve their take on Olivier as a dip, with pita or bread.

I used to do turkey, mayo, tomato, pickles at the sub shop or deli.

No lettuce, no mustard.

My dogs in this fight, are that

1. some posters automatically think this is a UK vs USA thing, forgetting that Canada exists,

2. and, that Chicken Salad in Canada also contains mayo.

LOL.

The real evil is people who put Miracle Whip in their Chicken/ Tuna / Egg / Salmon salad sandwiches and don’t warn others.

6 Likes

Funny, all sandwiches other than turkey require some sort of mustard or spread (hence my refrigerator door shelves full of them). But I just like turkey on its own.

Me too, but I’ve never seen it in Oregon.
Something I truly miss.

I invented a new salad sandwich today,

Bean Salad sandwich.

Toasted whole grain bread
Purchased Lemon-garlic-parsley - olive oil bean salad (kidney, navy bean and chickpea)
Summerfresh Artichoke Asiago dip which contains mayo .

It’s really good.

2 Likes

It contains mayo and is really good??? Oxymoronic to me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t like smothering in mayo too, but I can’t say I would sub with butter either. Butter is delicious in many things, but butter in cold food is just congealed bits of fat too. I am not a huge sandwich fan, but I prefer something more flavorful - why just a tasteless oil like mayo? Even aioli would be a better option. But fancier places might have mashed avocado/guacamole, pickles, relish or other toppings that can add the much needed moisture - just wish it were more prevalent.

Even though I grew up with it, I’m not fond of butter on sandwiches, either - even if it’s augmented with herbs or garlic. It doesn’t help that it’s usually a fairly generous amount of butter, and I don’t want to bite into half an inch of cold fat. I suppose if it’s spread thinly and has added seasonings/herbs I could dig.

Mayo is nice bc it’s versatile, and can be used very sparingly. Plus it has a nice tang.

I don’t like ketchup on any sandwich (except for burgers), and mustard works only in a few sammiches for me.

1 Like

We need to clarify what we each mean by “mayo”. Duke and Best Foods/Hellman’s are one thing; fresh homemade is quite another.
Using a small jar and a coil whisk, it takes longer to gather the ingredients than to whip up a batch and is well worth the effort.
Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 9.09.35 AM

2 Likes

Duke’s or Kewpie is fine if I don’t have the time to whip up my own. “Gathering the ingredients” requires opening my refrigerator.

2 Likes