The egg , chicken or other chopped sandwich or salad thread

The curried chicken mayo salads, and a Jamaican curried chicken salad with mayo and mango or pineapple is made by some Canadians, but it isn’t too common to see curried chicken in a sandwich on a menu , at least not in Toronto or southwestern Ontario, where I am based.

The curried chicken salad at Ontario Whole Foods locations, served by weight, is always available at the deli or in container, next to the Sonoma Chicken (mayo) salad that contains grapes, also sold by weight .

1 Like

Certainly. As you’ll have noticed in my original contribution my primary disappointment was that it was not what I was expecting. Had a British outlet advertised a “chicken salad sandwich” and had served me a “Coronation chicken” sandwich, I’d have been similarly disappointed.

FWIW, vafarmwife and several others have kindly sent me copies of the posts now hidden. My thanks for that. I wouldalways prefer to see posts, even unpleasant ones or ones which are just complete tosh, on view but a moderator has told me that they are in breach of forum guidelines so will remain out of general view. I’m not going to comment further on those contributions to the thread and regard it as dealt with and closed.

2 Likes

My apologies. Appreciate that it has given offence and that was most certainly not intended.

No worries.
I appreciate your reply.

Actually may come across differently on this side of the pond.

1 Like

I’ve added curry to tuna salads along with Keens powdered mustard.

2 Likes

Kewpie > Miracle Whip > Mayo.

Never butter.

Always mustard.

And always guacamole. And avocado. Or both.

I make an “asian” chicken salad that started as a riff on Whole Foods’ spicy chicken salad — chicken, mayo. scallions, finely diced red onion, sriracha, sesame oil, and a splash of rice vinegar, with a bit of cilantro to finish. Sometimes I’ll add some broccoli slaw or water chestnuts for a bit of crunch.

I do love “plain” chicken salad too - poached chicken, mayo, red onion, lots of pepper. If I buy it at the grocery store, it has celery. If I make it at home, I leave it out.

I don’t know if tuna salad counts here, but my favorite kind has no mayo but does have a kick — red onion or shallot, oil-packed tuna, pepper, minced serrano or other green chilli, and a squeeze of lemon juice. A bit of cilantro too if I have it on hand. Makes a great sandwich on soft white bread, but also really good on hearty toast.

5 Likes

Agreed. Leftover ham is spongy after being frozen, but turning it into potted ham obviates the texture problem.

A lesser-known spread, that works well when layered with potted ham in a sandwich is Benedictine. Recipes abound. It includes cream cheese, cucumber, and some form of onion.

5 Likes

Curried chicken salad sandwich with all the things!
All the leftover things. Chicken alla Diavola, avocado, mango, pepper jelly, dries shallots, rye bread from my pastrami episode, roasted pine nuts, limp celery (“refreshed”), Dukes mayo, last of the parsley, a dry (not dried) lime, some Jamaican curry powder,

I thought I’d be making ham salad bet we ate it as slices!

11 Likes

Mayo > Kewpie

No Miracle Whip, No Mustard.

:joy:

1 Like

Have you tried Curried Chicken salad with fresh mango, grapes, pineapple or Granny Smith added? So good.

One deli near where I worked added Jamaican curry powder and pineapple.

5 Likes

Although I love a curried chicken salad with grapes (especially with macadamia brittle on half a pineapple, hollowed and cubed), I prefer cubed, grilled thighs, a little lemony home made mayonnaise, sun dried tomatoes, diced celery, chiffonade of basil, and pine nuts.

1 Like

Adding some related discussions on egg salad:

4 Likes

Has anyone come across this method of cooking cracked eggs for egg salad instead of boiling?

She uses a Bain Marie in the oven, but they could be steamed stove-top or in the IP too, I imagine.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cf_T0P5lHgH/

2 Likes

All but the pinapple, and the pinapple sounds good!

Interesting!

I use celery greens, and some rib, instead of cilantro, if I know cilantro haters are en route. I hate caraways seeds so much, I can see how others are averse to other things. My first taste of cilantro was of Ivory soap. Now, I need it. I still haven’t warmed up to caraway.

Thus, I like cilantro and mayo in my chick’nsaladsamich. Love me some form of avocado in there, too.

3 Likes

This popped up in my feed today https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/dolly-parton-pecan-chicken-salad/

2 Likes
2 Likes

LOL! (c;

1 Like