Slate: Nancy Silverton's recipe - 'This Genius Egg Salad is a Love Letter to Eggs'

‘…Silverton’s bagna cauda toasts, bathed in warm garlic-anchovy butter, are in every way the right contrast to the egg salad spooned on top: the warm to its cool, the crisp to its soft, the prickly intensity to its complete, elemental comfort.’

9 Likes

I am so making this!

2 Likes

In looking at the comments on Food52 there was mention that salt measurements were too high (2tbls vs 2 tsp). They corrected the current recipe to read just “salt”, which is a shame because Silverton specifies the amount of salt matters. Anyway, if anyone downloaded the original post on Food52 make sure you don’t use 2 tbls of salt. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Egg salad on Pumpernickel.

2 Likes

Eggs, Mayo, salt, pepper. Done.

1 Like

You forgot the anchovies! That’s the best part. I even garnish deviled eggs with my beloved anchovies.

4 Likes

Umm…decidedly “no thank you”. I like my egg salad pure, just like grandma made it!

2 Likes

Oh yes, of course, me too. But no harm in taking a walk on the wild side every now and then.

1 Like

I have found that the softer yolks is also preferable to my taste. And for quick and easy, I just use the big side of a box grater. That’s the right texture for me, and it’s so quick and easy!

3 Likes

Genius idea. Stealing it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For food service, since we were making a fair amount, we pushed eggs through a cooling rack like this. It gives you a very nice texture, too.

4 Likes