The Big Ole NJ Steak Thread

What, your blow torch is broken?

1 Like

The redder the better!

Eat your heart out:

Funny, my son went to the Met’s game and I’m scheduled to pick him up at the Red Bank train station. He expected to be in around 6:00-6:30 so at 5:30 I begrudgingly decide to eat at Danny’s so I would be walking distance to the train station. My first meal here in 10+ years and once again Danny didn’t fail to disappoint.

Oh I should admit 5 minutes after ordering my son text me they missed their connecting train, as I type this at 7:15 he’s still not back.

Danny’s use to attempt to be a steakhouse but I think he abandoned that dream along with his soap opera dreams of the 70’s. I would 1000% rather just go to Outback or Texas Roadhouse and just be honest about what you are getting then participate in this elaborate ruse of quality. The service perfectly matched the food, both grossly subpar.

The menu doesn’t mention prime, nor any grade, nor anything regarding aging, except for their porterhouse for 2, so your getting choice.

I ordered bernaise, something a “Steakhouse” should be able to execute, I think I got egg drop soup from their sushi menu. Horrible no other way to describe it.

1 Like

This is how steak is done weedhopper:

Red all the way through with a perfect warm juicy center.

You can’t hurry love.

3 Likes

How about “Eeuuwww” ?

At a real steakhouse they make the bernaise fresh, so your order takes a little longer.

That looks like made from a Knorr packet and rewarmed.

My sincere condolences.

Unfortunately nothing is very good around the station (B2, San Remo, Danny’s, etc). The only two exceptions are Brothers and Mexican International Grocery.

2 Likes

Haven’t been to San Remo in a cpl years so things may have changed but back the.ln upon the advice of JR I got chicken Milanese and veal chop special and was definitely found both to b good. Some of the apps were blah but service was good and despite being next to train station eating outside was enjoyable. Again was two years ago so it could be very different today and we stuck to items recommended to us only

That’s gross. No other way to put it. Are they still doing the sushi gimmick there too? Considering the lack of quality control over what comes out of the kitchen based on your photo I can only imagine the joy of raw fish there

See @NotJrvedivici review from a year ago which is closer to my recent experiences:

I really wanted to take a picture of the sushi person, she was of an ethnicity that would be more commonly found at Juanito’s than Sawa. (FYI when did Juanito’s close?) I didn’t take a pic out of fear of offending anyone, however I was truly surprised by the lack of attempting to fool anyone.

The bartender “Jimmy” from what I over heard people call him was overwhelmed by the 15 bar patrons. (Yea I was annoyed enough to count them)

Danny was sitting outside chatting it up with the previously mentioned tattooed manager. I really do not care for this place.

You know Japanese don’t let women become sushi chefs:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.zagat.com/b/amp/why-are-there-no-female-sushi-chefs

It’s because they don’t think women can detect bad fish at certain times of the month.

Sad to see, out last stop was before that. From what I understand it was better in its previous iteration in Shrewsbury

OK, I know this is the steak thread but brisket should count, especially this monster I made this weekend:

He was over 16 pounds at birth. I call him Barky.

7 Likes

Only if the brisket conforms with official KCBS rules and we get a Taste and Tenderness rating:

1. Each judge will first score all the samples for appearance of
    the meat. The turn-in containers will then be passed
    around the table and each judge will place a sample from
    each of the containers in the appropriate box on the
    judging plate. Judges shall not lick their fingers while taking
    these samples; paper towels, non-scented wipes or damp
    wash cloths are preferred .The judge will then score each
    entry for taste and tenderness, before moving on to the
    next entry.
  2. The scoring system is from 9 to 2, all whole numbers
    between two and nine may be used to score an entry. 9
    excellent, 8 very good, 7 above average, 6 average, 5 below
    average, 4 poor, 3 bad, and 2 inedible.
  3. A score of one (1) is a penalty or disqualification and
    requires approval by a Contest Rep. Grounds for
    penalty/disqualification: All judges will give a one (1) in
    Appearance for prohibited garnish, pooled sauce or less
    than 6 samples of meat. All judges will give a one (1) in all
    criteria for sculptured meat, a marked turn-in container,
    foreign object in the container, incorrect meat. All judges
    not receiving a sample will give a one (1) in all criteria.
  4. The weighting factors for the point system are: Appearance
  • .5600, Taste – 2.2972, Tenderness - 1.1428

While the brisket maybe chopped or sliced the preferred presentation for competition is the sliced flat cut of the brisket. The brisket slices may not be arranged in rosettes. A pronounced smoke ring helps. The brisket should pass the ribbon test. You should be able to hold both ends without it crumbling. It should open up between the fibers slightly under its own weight. When you pull it apart it should droop and then break easily. It should not, however, be mushy.

Please note garnish is optional but if garnish is used Garnish it is
limited to chopped, sliced, shredded or whole leaves of fresh green
lettuce, curly parsley, flat leaf parsley, curly green kale and/or
cilantro. PROHIBITED GARNISHES ARE lettuce cores and other
vegetation, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO endive, red tipped
lettuce. “PROHIBITED” garnish shall receive a penalty score of one
(1) on Appearance. It is the discretion of the contest organizer to
allow teams to place ONE PIECE of aluminum foil inside the turn in
box to cover only the bottom of the turn in box, if garnish is not
used at the contest. Either garnish will be used or foil will be used
at a contest, but not both are allowed at the same contest. If
garnish is used, foil is not allowed in the box for any reason.

That looks great.

1 Like

Oops I spoke too soon. Apparently home cooking is now subject to KCBS rules.

My apologies. :rolling_eyes:

2 Likes

Just establishing the parameters for brisket entries in a steak thread. :wink:

And we are still waiting for the Taste and Tenderness results @seal

EWWWWWWWWWWW.

(and yes, @hungryonion that IS a complete sentence yet I can’t post just that.)

1 Like

@VikingKaj I get to rate my own brisket?? OK, wink wink nudge nudge, I’ll be honest.

2 Likes

That’s a mighty fine looking hunk of beef seal. May I ask how it was prepared?

1 Like