The amazing Cauliflower......................

Finally made it! (Cauliflower Baked Ziti).

I haven’t tried it yet.

9 Likes

Looks good!

2 Likes

This is a great thread with lots of inspiration. Makes clear to me that I’m underappreciating cauliflower. I love to ferment it (simple salt ferment) and eat it that way as a snack, but haven’t done much else with it. (Edit - occasionally steamed and cheesed, I guess also counts)

I watched Dan Souza’s short video about “The Science” behind cauliflower a couple of years ago, and promised myself I’d start doing more with it, but then never did.

3 Likes

What a great video! @mts; I wonder if you might like it.

2 Likes

It is a great video. He’s so likable. I just might try this method if the cooking smell doesn’t drive me out of the kitchen. In the meantime, it is raw florets with curry cheese dip.

2 Likes

I’ve been watching lots of his videos; he’s a great persenter. The only thing I don’t like about them is, while he gives the basic techniques and explains a lot of the “why?” behind what he’s doing (which I very much appreciate), they always kick you back to ATK if you want an actual recipe. And I gave up my ATK acct a long time ago.

2 Likes

I love cauliflower, and generally always cook it the same exact way, because I like it simple. I cut into florets and then saute with garlic and a little bit of dashi. I do a quick steam in the pan with the lid on to make sure it gets cooked through. The bits that are browned are so yummy with the mild dashi flavor. I should try this with a flatter cut on the cauliflower so there’s more pan contact for more browning.

I found out I don’t enjoy riced cauliflower though. Since I eat a lot of rice, I thought this would be a no-brain substitute, but turns out that I dislike the texture and the blandness. While rice is soft, when it’s cauliflower I missed the slight bite to it, and there isn’t the subtle sweetness when cooked. Riced cauliflower tastes like it has been boiled to death and then shredded to bits.

2 Likes

I love cauliflower! Steamed, boiled, mashed like potatoes, raw in layered salad. Any which way except roasted which I find takes away its unique flavor and makes it too sweet.

More cauliflower and salt cod ideas.

2 Likes

The salt cod and cauliflower recipe but with coconut milk subbed for some of the reduced cream. Good! Could use a little more sweet to balance the salt in my salt cod, so in the larger batch I added more raisins. I’m wondering if currants or golden raisins/sultanas would be better or if that’s just my imagination.

2 Likes

One of my favorite Chinese dishes (in China), stir-fried cauliflower with chilies, scallions(, and mystery meat).

3 Likes
2 Likes

We had cauliflower tacos at a hipster taco place which were my favorite, even compared to their meat based ones. Came home and found this recipe. It’s very good, but next time I think I’ll add some pickled onions or cabbage as well. The cashew crema is perfect for the roasted cauliflower florets.

6 Likes

(post deleted by author)

One of my greatest successes was a simple cauliflower soup, drizzled with curry oil and topped with a shatteringly crunchy fried oyster.

8 Likes

https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/five-spice-romanesco-steaks

I use this recipe very often.

I tend to use curry powder instead of smoked paprika though, but both versions of this recipe taste extremely nice as a side dish for pork, chicken and even spaghetti meatballs.

2 Likes

One of my favourite cauliflower dishes is a roasted cauliflower salad served at my friend’s Dutch Indonesian restaurant in Toronto . I’ll find the menu description.

These look good

I also like the Arnabeet at a restaurant called Tabule in Toronto.

2 Likes

That (Romanesco steaks recipe) looks interesting and I think my vegetarian daughter would like it. I’ve only had that fractal broccoli once, visiting a friend, and don’t see it in stores around here.

@Claus - thanks, that looks good also. I hadn’t seen his channel before but looked at a few now. This one looks very good, too.

Seems he really likes his smoked paprika.

1 Like