Salt Cod

We mostly have sea bass, striped bass, and fluke in stock which are abundant in the water off the coast of NJ. They are all very lean but I think will take to the sake/salt treatment and light grilling well.

Salt fish fritters

7 Likes

I grew up on New England “cod fish cakes”. I think my father may even have bought them canned. Like maybe 3 or 4 to a can. I loved them.

Fast forward, we make brandade which, as described upthread, is infinitely adaptable. Main course, spread, pan fried. May actually be time for a batch!

3 Likes

Very nice!

Salt cod “balls” (though more oval in shape) are a snack I like to eat when in Portugal. So far I haven’t gone out of my way looking for them here on Madeira. Not sure if they are as popular here.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Working on this one, but found these as well.

Baccala Rachenate or Baccala Racanto (Baked salt cod, using breadcrumbs, cauliflower, raisins and parsley)

3 Likes

I used coconut milk with heavy cream. Needed a bit more sweet to balance so I added more raisins.

5 Likes

I am making salt cod for the first time this week!

4 Likes

I love fried rice with salted fish, and thought of using salt cod as a sub, but it’s a different type of salted fish in that. Salt cod just doesn’t have that awesome funk :joy:.

I love salt cod since I grew up with it, typically with scrambled eggs which my mother favors over the more common way with tomato sauce that is done here. Bacalaitos are also good, though I tend to prefer other fritters from different cuisines. Mediterranean preparations of salt cod are all great.

1 Like

Weird- this is it uses fresh cod and then he salts it. Wondering if I can use soaked salt cod for the same thing.

I’ve made some very nice bacalao from fresh cod filets, yes, with added salt. Which reminds me, I have some frozen now. I think I’ll pick up some potatoes today and make some more.

1 Like

Interesting. That recipe doesn’t call for potatoes at all, nor a coating of bread crumbs on top to toast up in the oven. Thinking…

I don’t use potatoes in my dishes, and am always on the lookout for recipes without them. Thank you for the heads up!

1 Like
2 Likes

This thread reminded me of a dish I first had for the first time right before the pandemic and loved instantly: it’s “ackee and saltfish,” which I had for brunch with a Caribbean friend at a Jamaican/pan-Caribbean joint in Brooklyn called Negril. He ordered it, I was curious, ordered it also, and was instantly hooked.

I had already enjoyed salted cod in other cuisines (French and Spanish) but this might be my favorite way to have it. I considered going back to the same spot when I was in the city last weekend, but the dish now costs $31 and that’s steep even for me.

3 Likes

If you’re willing to try other places in NYC, I think you should be able to find it for closer to $20 at a more basic Caribbean restaurant. I checked at one of the long running midrange Jamaican restaurants in Toronto (The Real Jerk, which I’ve been visiting since 1991) , and it’s currently $18 Cdn. To put that into perspective, I’ve been paying $24.99 Cdn/lb for fresh salmon at the grocery store, cauliflower is selling for $5.99 Cdn each, and a Grande Cappuccino at Starbucks costs $5.60 Cdn. LOL

1 Like

good idea, and i live on the cusp of a huge caribbean neighborhood so i’m sure i could find other options.

1 Like

I took a quick look.

There’s an Eater list of Caribbean restaurants but I stopped following Eater after it let me down in Detroit.
It costs $26 at Jasmine’s in the West 40s . No idea how good it might be.

I dined at Negril in the 90s, but I’m not sure if Negril Village on W 3rd near Washington Square is connected to the Negril I went to, which I seem to remember being close to 14th St. Negril Village is charging $36 :rofl: . Better be amazing at that price!

Appreciate your doing the due diligence for me :slight_smile: Not sure I would face toward Manhattan if I wanted a budget version of this great dish. It’s all about finding the regular-joe places where the regular joes actually live (and that ain’t in the west 40s!) That means Flatbush.

1 Like

Oh, I know. :slight_smile: mind you, you never know. Stella’s in Brooklyn (looks hipper than Jasmine’s) is charging $27.

We have a lot of Jamaican & Caribbean restaurants in TO. I live around 2 miles from one of the neighbourhoods that has a couple dozen Caribbean restaurants (Eglinton West has a Little Jamaica). I tend to go to the restaurants that are midrange to upscale (unfortunately, most upscale Caribbean restaurants in Toronto haven’t been able to stay in business for more than a decade or so), rather than the cheapest restaurants and take-out restaurants, because the cheapest ones, where the regular Joes & lunch traffic goes, are really salty. I’ve only learned this after trying dozens of bang for the buck hole-in-the-walls.