The amazing Cauliflower......................

Thank you very much, you are too kind.

1 Like

It’s a great topic! I am apparently a “frequent poster”. :blush:

1 Like

I had a delicious cauliflower with blue cheese dish in Czech Republic. Haven’t seen a recipe for it anywhere.

2 Likes

(post deleted by author)

I cannot stand cooked cauliflower of any kind. I will eat florets raw and only as a crudité with chutney and curry dip.

1 Like

It has been close to 17 years. It was fairly simple- I had Googled recipes at the time but never found anything similar. Basically cooked cauliflower, blue cheese and maybe some nuts? I’ll Google again.

1 Like

Most recipes are roasted and either with bacon or scallions.
You could probably adapt a recipe that would be similar and just add the nuts. It was 17 years ago so not sure if you remember what type of nuts yet it might be fun to experiment.
I have a few cookbooks that have cauliflower recipes sprinkled within, if I come across something similar then I will post it here.

2 Likes

This was a vegetarian main at a hotel dining room in Mariánské Lázně/ Marienbad. I was a pescatarian at the time.

I was just surprised how good it was, since apart from the deep-fried Camembert with tartar sauce, Czech cuisine is typically meat-centric.

I guess it was probably this local blue cheese. https://www.tasteatlas.com/jihoceska-zlata-niva

It’s basically a Gratin with Niva cheese: gratinovaná kvetak s nivou

2 Likes

I’ll add some Czech cauliflower recipes here

Cauliflower is one if my favourite vegetables.

So versatile. So tasty.

I pan roast it in small bouquets with curry and butter until they turn dark in some spots. Love it. So easy. So delicate.

I pan roast a whole (small) or large half cauliflower, that I first have blanched for 8-10 minutes, by first smearing a layer of Dijon mustard all over it then add smoked paprika to it and then pan sear it at medium heat while butter baste it continuously for 8-10 minutes.

I make cauliflower gratin in the oven quite often too
My mother made this often, when I was a kid. Love it.
It was the last meal I had with my mother (and father), before my mother died in a fire accident back in June 2000.

I make cauliflower purée quite often. Great too.

I enjoy cauliflower - potato - leek soup too.

I’m a cauliflower fan.

5 Likes

@Claus , I’m sorry for your loss.

@mts Does it matter how long it’s cooked? Is five minutes as bad as ten or twenty? Boiled the same as roasted? For me just softening it a teeny bit is better than raw.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that happened yet glad that you have a nice memory to remember your paremts.

4 Likes

****SECURITY……SECURITY ***** We have a breach, please have this person removed from us cauliflower lovers!!! (just kidding)

This is most likely Gobhi (or Gobi) Manchurian, that is an Indo-Chinese dish. It’s fantastic. Here are a couple of recipes:

or

I personally love cauliflower in just about any form, can’t understand the dislike this vegetable sometimes generates, maybe because people have not experienced good cooking or good recipes.

3 Likes

I do have problem with boiled cauliflower- I can eat it, but it’s not my favourite.

Growing up I got boiled cauliflower far too often.

Cauliflower to me really shines when you either sear it, sauté it or cook it in the oven or use it in soups/purées.

4 Likes

Or if you add it to mashed potatoes with all the cream cheese and sour cream.
Cauliflower needs a little help.
Roasted is my favourite way, pan searing coming in as a close second.

3 Likes

Have you made this @ElsieDee ?
I was not a fan. Too eggy, and not cauliflower-y enough.
It reminded me of a savory Indian cake called Handva / Handvo that’s eggless but delicious, so I also didn’t understand the need for eggs in what is termed a vegetarian dish.

But people seem to love it, so ymmv.

1 Like

Gobi Manchurian !!! That was 100% it, yes thank you!! Obviously I’m not very familiar with Indian cuisine but that isn’t stopping me from learning to enjoy and appreciate it!

1 Like

I’ve done something like this but with a whole head of cauliflower roasted in the oven. I put a mustard-cheese-spice-butter-bread crumb mix all over it and go low and slow until it’s sweet and golden brown.

Although I love the whole head presentation, I’m planning to try splitting it in half next time to get some nice caramelization on the cut side during the roast.

3 Likes