The amazing Cauliflower......................

It is a great video. He’s so likable. I just might try this method if the cooking smell doesn’t drive me out of the kitchen. In the meantime, it is raw florets with curry cheese dip.

2 Likes

I’ve been watching lots of his videos; he’s a great persenter. The only thing I don’t like about them is, while he gives the basic techniques and explains a lot of the “why?” behind what he’s doing (which I very much appreciate), they always kick you back to ATK if you want an actual recipe. And I gave up my ATK acct a long time ago.

2 Likes

I love cauliflower, and generally always cook it the same exact way, because I like it simple. I cut into florets and then saute with garlic and a little bit of dashi. I do a quick steam in the pan with the lid on to make sure it gets cooked through. The bits that are browned are so yummy with the mild dashi flavor. I should try this with a flatter cut on the cauliflower so there’s more pan contact for more browning.

I found out I don’t enjoy riced cauliflower though. Since I eat a lot of rice, I thought this would be a no-brain substitute, but turns out that I dislike the texture and the blandness. While rice is soft, when it’s cauliflower I missed the slight bite to it, and there isn’t the subtle sweetness when cooked. Riced cauliflower tastes like it has been boiled to death and then shredded to bits.

2 Likes

I love cauliflower! Steamed, boiled, mashed like potatoes, raw in layered salad. Any which way except roasted which I find takes away its unique flavor and makes it too sweet.

More cauliflower and salt cod ideas.

2 Likes

The salt cod and cauliflower recipe but with coconut milk subbed for some of the reduced cream. Good! Could use a little more sweet to balance the salt in my salt cod, so in the larger batch I added more raisins. I’m wondering if currants or golden raisins/sultanas would be better or if that’s just my imagination.

2 Likes

One of my favorite Chinese dishes (in China), stir-fried cauliflower with chilies, scallions(, and mystery meat).

3 Likes
2 Likes

We had cauliflower tacos at a hipster taco place which were my favorite, even compared to their meat based ones. Came home and found this recipe. It’s very good, but next time I think I’ll add some pickled onions or cabbage as well. The cashew crema is perfect for the roasted cauliflower florets.

6 Likes

(post deleted by author)

One of my greatest successes was a simple cauliflower soup, drizzled with curry oil and topped with a shatteringly crunchy fried oyster.

8 Likes

https://www.riverford.co.uk/recipes/five-spice-romanesco-steaks

I use this recipe very often.

I tend to use curry powder instead of smoked paprika though, but both versions of this recipe taste extremely nice as a side dish for pork, chicken and even spaghetti meatballs.

2 Likes

One of my favourite cauliflower dishes is a roasted cauliflower salad served at my friend’s Dutch Indonesian restaurant in Toronto . I’ll find the menu description.

These look good

I also like the Arnabeet at a restaurant called Tabule in Toronto.

2 Likes

That (Romanesco steaks recipe) looks interesting and I think my vegetarian daughter would like it. I’ve only had that fractal broccoli once, visiting a friend, and don’t see it in stores around here.

@Claus - thanks, that looks good also. I hadn’t seen his channel before but looked at a few now. This one looks very good, too.

Seems he really likes his smoked paprika.

1 Like

He’s my favourite recipe maker on YouTube. Been following him for years.

The whole cauliflower recipe is one I’ve made for several years now, but didn’t get it from him, but from one of my danish chef friends.

You can make it in the oven, but I prefer to make it in a pan on the stovetop where I butter baste the cauliflower during the last 5-8 minutes like I would a steak the last 1-2 minutes. Delicious.

1 Like

When I was living in Santa Monica, there was a veg restaurant in Venice (don’t remember the exact name but it was something like “Myera”) that made a whole cauliflower, with a sage seasoned stuffing, wrapped in phyllo dough, and baked crispy.

Never been able to find a similar recipe/method online, which is unfortunate as it was one of the best cauliflower dishes I have had.

4 Likes

One of my favorite ways to prepare cauliflower.

Stir fry florets with chopped tomatoes

4 Likes
1 Like